After a month still not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stugguls
Freshman

After a month still not working

https://testmy.net/results Still won't stream adequately and mostly not at all this am. It takes 10 minutes to watch a 1 minute news clip. Its barely better than dial up. Web pages do ok, so that is good. Tech support had concluded speeds were fine last week, but due to over capacity streaming was affected. I have no problem with satellite tv, so it seems their equipment will carry the load. I am currently working from and need this to work. Resolution is so horrible when it does work I cannot read a wiring diagram. Any more ideas on how we can resolve this?
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Your Testmy link should be: https://testmy.net/quickstats/stugguls

Your speeds are very good, and nothing at all like dialup.  

You may be experiencing congestion. traffic, issues resulting from network management practices, and others.  

Due to the pandemic, streaming has taken a big hit for satellite internet users, and it may not get better any time soon.  Do you have access to other service providers? You may need to consider switching to non-satellite internet. 

Satellite TV works differently than satellite internet.  

I don't know if your issues can be resolved, but I hope the mods will get back to you. 

stugguls wrote:
https://testmy.net/results Still won't stream adequately and mostly not at all this am. It takes 10 minutes to watch a 1 minute news clip. Its barely better than dial up. Web pages do ok, so that is good. Tech support had concluded speeds were fine last week, but due to over capacity streaming was affected. I have no problem with satellite tv, so it seems their equipment will carry the load. I am currently working from and need this to work. Resolution is so horrible when it does work I cannot read a wiring diagram. Any more ideas on how we can resolve this?

Liz

Hi stugguls,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience, I can certainly look into this for you. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site and the resuls are green across the board--the HughesNet equipment is working normally.

Your Video Data Saver is on, which is designed to help conserve your monthly data as you stream. If you're trying to stream in HD while VDS is on, you may run into buffering, so set your video playback quality to standard definition. 

If you really want to stream in HD, just snooze VDS to avoid buffering. Be mindful that streaming in HD will use more of your data much faster.

If you still have streaming concerns, please let us know on which site you're trying to stream.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@stugguls wrote:
I have no problem with satellite tv, so it seems their equipment will carry the load.  

Not that it really matters, but satellite TV and satellite internet are two very different things.  Satellite TV is one way and does a single thing at a set bandwidth, and with technology in place to facilitate beaming that content to you.  It's also considerably different than streaming. 

It's sort of like back in the day when people would play video games on their computers, but the experience was always inferior to those played on a console.  The console was designed to do only one thing, and that was play video games, whereas the computer wasn't specifically designed for video games, but it was one of the things people used it for.  Even today it's still like that to an extent, though gaming specific computers have gotten much better.