cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All data allowance gone during vacations

All data allowance gone during vacations

I'm away from home on vacation, yet my Hughesnet used 75% of my data allowance. All the computers are traveling with me and TV boxes are off, There should be nothing to use data, yet I'm down to zero in just three days. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: All data allowance gone during vacations

rmart1,

Do the TV boxes you are referring to happen to be DirecTV receivers?  Do you have them connected to your Hughesnet through wifi? 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

The first thought that comes to mind is that the TV boxes are never really "off" unless they are unplugged from the wall. "Off" in their case only means that the video/audio output has been disabled. If connected guide info is still accessed.

One other thing is router settings and security. The Routers internal settings and permissions area is "protected" by a default username and password installed by the router manufacturer.

Did you change both of these to something unique and only known to you ?

In addition to the above the wireless functions of the router are "open network" by default. In order to maintain control and limit connection to only authorized devices a encryption level has to be selected from a list of options. That will generate a passkey/passphrase that is entered into any wireless devices that you wish to connect to your network.

Has encryption been established ?

You did state that all computers were traveling with you but .... any forgotten exceptions ? Any Netbooks/NoteBooks/Tablets ?

In many cases these types of devices take a deliberate action to achieve a "hard off" powered down condition as compared to a  soft-off hibernate, snooze or sleep state. They can and will wake up and perform updates to OS's and installed Apps.

Don't overlook wireless network printers.

Also some Router settings need to be looked at:

Is WPS disabled ?

Is Remote Access disabled ?

Is Guest Account Access disabled ?

Is Firmware Auto-Update disabled ?

In what time periods does the usage history output of the Download Status Meter claim for usage activity ?

Was the missing data in the form of download or upload ?

Here is a repost of a reply I posted some time ago.

It outlines first the process of doing a modem isolation test to check to Hughes Modem and ODU for rogue usage.

I would start there first. It then follows with my suggested procedure to investigate usage by devices on your network:

There can be many reasons for losing data. In the end though it can only be either on the Hughes end or on the users end,

You should run a modem isolation test to see if it is on the Hughes end,

Here is the official graphic:

Follow the steps above and post screenshots of the before/after usage meter and the disconnect/connect times.

If you find that no usage occurs with all of your networked equipment disconnected we have to conclude that the usage is caused by something within your network.

While the following is a repost I think the steps apply to your situation as well:

In the event that no data was used during that period we can only conclude that "something" "somewhere" within your network is using data. It then becomes a "whodunit" and there are methods to determine that.

Divide and Conquer is the name of the game ... and it is essential.

A typical "home network" looks like this:

It is much too complicated to determine the "leak"

The Modem has access ... but we already performed an isolation test

The Router "guts" have access

Anything and everything with wireless range .. both authorize AND unauthorized devices COULD have access

Finally all wired computers have access.

During the troubleshooting phase the "network" MUST be reduced to the minimum number of variables.

It needs to have the router removed from the equation so as to look like this:

The number of variables has been brought down to a manageable level.

It now is time to download and install some software to track usage and identify what program and what process is or has been running and using data.

For this we need Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/ help/

An important point here .....

GlassWire will only monitor the single computer upon which it is installed.

Later as the router is reintroduced, GlassWire will have to be installed on every Windows computer that is connected to the router

Another point to be made here is that if Windows IS the root of the issue ... it uploads/downloads sporadically .. it may take time to "catch it in the act".

So as to not "torque" the amount of usage displayed by GlassWire we need to change a couple of settings ... we don't need to count (later on when more devices are connected) "local" traffic.

Here are my suggested settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Understanding the results:

Each computer, one by one needs to go through this process.

Once all wired computers have been "cleared" we can add the router back in to the mix with one major exception .... we have to disable the "radio" ...

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.

Now comes the stickey part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

On laptop computers you can od course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

No "open network" :  

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimum !

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.

Distinguished Professor IV

Also, if they are DirecTV receivers, even when not streaming, they will still use data, and sometimes considerable amounts.  They will update the guide, titles and descriptions, and, if I'm not mistaken, they can even download the films that are able to be played instantly.  Normally this would be done through the DirecTV dish itself, but when connected to the internet, they may take that route.  I'm not sure about the films, but definitely with the other things. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello rmart11,

Welcome to our community! Interesting concern you have here... Have you returned home already or are you checking remotely? I see there is a Hopper hooked up, Apple router, iCloud services and DropBox requesting what I'd estimate as 90% of your usage. Currently there is an Apple airport router hooked up to the modem, so it is not completely isolated or off. It will be helpful to know how you are checking the usage.

Thanks
Amanda