cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All lights on front of modem keep going out!

Re: All lights on front of modem keep going out!

All good, Kent, thanks for the update!

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

I was back at the cabin again, finally.  I moved the modem's power source directly to the wall outlet.  Later in the day it went offline like it always does (all lights are out on the front and internet went down).  I took my laptop and hardwired directly to the modem.  I didn't get an IP address via DHCP so I set a static IPs on my laptop for testing.  I could not ping or otherwise access 192.168.42.1 or 192.168.0.1.  However, I could still connect to other network devices that were connected to the back of the built-in 4-port switch on the modem.  So when the modem goes "offline" the built-in network switch still passes traffic between devices, but the modem itself is not accessible and internet is offline.  I waited nearly an hour to see if the modem came back online on it's own and it did not.  I unplugged the power and plugged it back in, and as normal the modem came back online.

If it's not the power source and I've replaced the modem and power supply, what else can be causing this???

Good morning Kent,

I appreciate the update, this is pretty unusual. I'd like to get one of our modem experts here at corporate to have a look at that modem. Instead of sending another modem out, I'd like to get a tech out there to review the site and switch the modems. I'll have the tech ship the modem to our engineer so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself. Considering you're not always at this site, I won't set a particular appointment date, but rather the assigned local dealer will reach out to you to make arrangements. Is the number ending in 02 the best number for them to call you?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Very interesting problem. I'm a retired industrial E/I computer systems trouble shooter. I've seen some very strange things happen.

Sometimes when troubleshooting, and you've done all of the smart things, it's time to try something stupid, like plugging the modem into a UPS.

I know, it makes no sense that an elecrical problem would only effect the modem when there are other devices plugged in that are not effected, but that's what I would try next.

ACCIDENT, n. An inevitable occurrence due to the action of immutable
natural laws.

The Devils Dictionary

Freshman

Liz-

That sounds like a reasonable plan since I don't know what else to do.  Now that the weather is cold I'm only at the properly on occassion, but I can work out a schedule with a local dealer like you have suggested.  Best number to call is the one ending in 37.  That's my mobile.  Thank you!

Freshman

Thank you for the input.  I will go ahead and try that as well.  I've tried with and without the Tripplite Isobar surge protector, but I haven't tried a UPS yet.  It certainly can't hurt!  Next time I go to the cabin I will take a small UPS with me.

Hi Kent,

Thanks for getting back to me! I've created a dispatch and the local dealer should reach out to you on your mobile. I've also included instructions to have your modem shipped to us for debugging. I hope the symptoms go away with the new modem. For your reference, your case number is 117903035. Let us know how the site visit goes!

Thanks,
Liz

Good morning Kent,

I see the dispatch has already been completed, did the tech replace your modem?

Thanks,
Liz

Freshman

Liz-

Tech came out and was a helpful guy.  He did not opt to replace the modem since it's been swapped twice already.  He said he updated the software on my existing modem and he also found that the coupler that connects the indoor and outdoor coax runs between the modem and the satellite was lose.  He tightened the connection and asked that I let him know if I continue to have problems.  Due to it being winter, I'm at the property very little so it may be a while before I am able to confirm if I'm still having problems.  I will post back once I get a chance to use the service again.  Thanks!

-Kent

Thanks Kent. Hopefully there won't be any issues, but in case there's no change, I'll make sure to put an extra special flag on my tech instructions, because we'd want to get that modem for debugging.

Thanks,
Liz