cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All things considered, Great service!

All things considered, Great service!

I have dealt with another satellite internet provider prior to HughesNet, and I have to say...HughesNet is FAR superior.

The download speeds are better, the overall support is better, and the system is better.

The "Other Guys" kept claiming that our bandwidth was too high and our data usage was constantly diminishing from doing normal, everyday things. We weren't downloading music or movies, watching videos, or playing online games. My family (5 of us) was simply doing normal updates and browsing the web, usually just email and limited research. And yet, we were constantly being reduced to dial-up speed because they claimed we had exceeded the FAP limits.

With HughesNet, we have the same data allowance and are able to view videos, download music and games whenever we want, and play online games on occasion - with NO problems with going over allowance. Pages load more quickly, even with tons of media content. We usually don't use even HALF our allowance, though we are doing more online. Right this minute, we still have 12.7GB left of 20GB, with just 1 1/2 days left before it resets for the month, after numerous videos, full TV episode downloads, game music downloads, and regular visits to social networking sites (which was impossible with the previous provider).

We have had intermittent issues with Aloha Transmission and Timing errors, but overall, it has been wonderful! Tech Support helped with these errors and has set up a visit for tomorrow with an installer to check the dish, as that is what they said the problem is with. The call took less than an hour overall, and we had an answer to the problem and a solution set in motion.

So, HughesNet, thank you. I was very apprehensive over using another satellite provider after the previous experience, but I no longer am. This has been a totally different experience than with the other company. I appreciate it very much!

PS, I should also add that we have 2 cell phones that currently connect via our wireless router (for web browsing), as well as a Kindle, 2 game consoles connected for the purpose of updates, and a Dish receiver connected wirelessly. And still better service/plan/allowance use than previously. These are all in addition to 4 desktops and a laptop on the same service!
12 REPLIES 12

Re: All things considered, Great service!

Hi Susan and welcome to the community. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your service and that your experience with support has been a good one. Thanks for the post! Smiley Happy

Suz

Good to hear you are getting acceptable service.

So far 9 months of this..

Highlighted

Susan, thank you again for your detailed post. It's great to hear that your family is happy with your current plan. I'm also thrilled to to hear that you were able to address your Aloha timing transmission error quickly. If you happen to have a case number from this call I will pass along the positive feedback. Your feedback aligns with the positive comments we see in our survey responses as well, it's nice to see the correlation. Thank you again Susan. Have a great day. Sara

Hi Jerry, I'm sorry that your peak time speeds are still low even though your non-peak time speeds are really good. You are already working with our highest level of support and we are still looking into your concern. Please feel free to give your dedicated a call regarding your concerns. Suz

At this time, I am hesitant to say that it is completely resolved. LOL The repair guy should be here this afternoon. When he is done, I will post an update.

So far, since the repair guy came out 3 hours ago, we have seen no errors at all and no break in service. Keeping my fingers crossed!

All he said he did was move the dish a small fraction of an inch. We had 10% packet loss when he got here, and 0% when he was done. Very small move to make such a great improvement.

The best thing (IMO) is that it is all under warranty, so no charge to us!

Hi Susan and thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that so far things look good. Please keep me informed and let me know if you need my assistance. I'm here to help. Smiley Happy Suz

We are still getting "Web Acceleration connected in backoff state" errors, but so far... no aloha transmission or timing adjustment errors. Is there anything I can do about the Web Acceleration problem?
Associate Professor

SusanG, my suggestion, disable it when it starts to get errors. Personally, I have always had a hate for Web Acceleration or the Turbo Page System on older units... Click the link at steps 2, 3, and at step four, put a check in the box and click submit.