cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowable usage gone in a flash

Highlighted

Allowable usage gone in a flash

Just started the first of March, all the sudden my allowable usage burns up fast. I have not changed anything on my laptop and even restored my pc to a date before this started happening and still the usage goes fast.

I do not download anything and do not stream movies or do on line gaming, All I do is check my homepage for the weather and news up dates (not watching videos) and surf Lowes and carter lumber for some  materials for remodeling projects I am planning to do. Nothing has changed on my pc and I have not had this issue until the first of the month. Before that I could look for hours for materials and had no problem. In fact when I talked to the tech at hughes net he even confirmed I rarely went below 70% of usage going back several months.

There is no issue on my end but they can't seem to figure out how I am all the sudden going through my usage within 2 hours. Check my programs running in the back and nothing out of the ordinary.

I really with I had another option other then dial up and if anyone has other options and still have hughes net .....You have to be insane. Their tv ads should state that... IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS OTHER THEN DIAL UP THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO GO BECAUSE IT IS THE LAST RESORT.

No I don't have the cheapest plan and have the middle plan (not Gen4) and have had this plan since 2009 and all things considered generally was satisfied with it but now while trying to find materials for my projects I only get to search for about 90 minutes then have to shut down my pc and even unplug my HN9000 modem until the next day and at 80 bucks a month this is total BS 

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted

Re: Allowable usage gone in a flash

Wish I could offer advice !! But sadly can only agree with the total BS and misleading infomercial!!!
Highlighted

There are a few details needed:  What OS are you using is a big one,  do you have a Smart TV or any other device that may be connecting?  If it went for 6 years with no problem it may be the modem or router stuck in a loop.  If you are using Windows 10 be sure it is set up as a metered service.  Look for something that has changed before and since this problem started.  I had a modem loop once and it used 5GB within minutes.  A reset may be necessary that is all I had to do.  Another thing to try is connect the modem directly to the PC and see what happens.

You are at the correct place for help good luck.
Highlighted

HMMM, the same thing is happening to me! I have had HughesNet for years and never ran out of data, all the sudden its gone within hours of my reload.
Highlighted

I would make sure you have ran Malwarebytes. It picks up and detects things that your AV would completely miss. Also make sure you have downloaded Glasswire. It has ways to block programs from accessing the net, tracking usage and a few other things.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
https://www.glasswire.com/
Highlighted

I have glasswire and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary
Highlighted

I don't have smart tv and the only thing I changed was my router back in November of last year and everything was fine. Rest both router and modem, HN said everything was fine on their end but I don't think that is true as others are complaining also.
Again I have had HN for almost 9 years because of no other options and now that I really need it for searching for materials for remodeling I am limited to a couple hours at most, kind of funny how all the sudden alot of complaints about usage is coming up
Highlighted

I have done the resets and even turned my modem off overnight and I am running windows 8.1
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Curious if you have a hidden folder on your root C: drive with this name $Windows.~BT or this $Windows.~WS ?
Highlighted
Sophomore

@BirdDog Do you know if those folders are normally hidden and you have to turn on Show Hidden Folders in Windows to see them?