Almost 13 gigs lost in six hours?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k.a.christensen

Almost 13 gigs lost in six hours?

Hello all,

Newish Hughes net user since the beginning of May. I constantly monitor my data usage as I m a little OCD about it. All my devices are set to manual updates only and are usually disconnected from the router while not in use.

Yesterday at about noon I checked my data and it showed 15.3gb remaining. I watched one episode on Netflix (set to low quality) and played an hour of a non online Xbox game. I left for work at 2pm. Came home at 11pm and watched one episode. I wake up his morning to my meter showing only 2.4gb remaining?! My meter shows heavy download usage (up to 3.9 gigs) during the time of 12pm all the way to 6pm, peaking at 3pm. Is the tool accurate or just a generic bell curve regardless? It should be noted that the line graph shows the one evening episode at under .3gb.

The ONLY devices connected to the router during this time was my xbox one and an iPad. The iPad shows no download history or updates since last week and the Xbox one didn't do any system updates since the middle of April. The Xbox was also turned off during this time.

I've spent the last few hours digging through both the Xbox and iPad with no luck. Is there something I might be missing or is it even not on my end? 13 gigs is a lot of data to just seemingly disappear.

My neighbors also just got Excede with 150gb limit for $10.00 less month than I pay. If this keeps happening I'll just have to eat the cancellation fee.
22 REPLIES 22
Marie Yarington

Your not the only one. Had them for almost 2 years and we are always out of data within 2 weeks if that long. We renewed the 7th of this month and have been out of data for a week. Reason I have it is because I have no other choice. Good luck
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The largest plan I can find on the Exede website is 30GB for $149.99.
GabeU

Is it possible that someone is hacking into your router?  I don't know anything about iPads.  Do you have satellite TV in which your sat TV receiver, or even your TV, could be connecting?  DirecTV receivers can use a HUGE amount of data, even if you aren't watching something on demand.  13GB is quite a chunk.  Do you use a computer as well?  With Windows 10?   
Chris11
Alum

Hello k.a.christensen,

Thanks for posting and welcome! First things first is to rule out your equipment as the culprit. Here is a quick test you can run to make sure everything is running correctly. 

Please follow these instructions, post the screenshots and make sure to crop out your SAN when doing so. With this we'll be able to better assist you. Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks,
Chris
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Come on... just get off Netflix on line. Use their DVD version. Netflix is the biggest user of data for many of us. Use DISH/DirectV for movies.And accept the fact you cannot use Netflix without going over your limits. Even SD usage will use it up quickly.
You have given a few data points but not adequate to find where it went. Do you have Glasswire installed? If Not why not.?
PS: I love Netflix and really would like to watch their streaming, non-DVD, stuff like Longmire. Just have to avoid/ live without it until I move.
GabeU

Hopefully the OP is going to take the steps to narrow it down.  Netflix in low definition doesn't use that much.  Perhaps 300MB per hour.  That's perfectly fine for light viewing.

The OP probably doesn't know about Glasswire.  Overall, when it comes to the general internet using public, few people do.  You have to give people the benefit of the doubt and help, not question why they haven't already done something or don't have something installed.

This person was actually quite polite and didn't rant.  He/she just asked questions and asked for help.     

foxbrook
Sophomore

Is your iPad linked to an iCloud account?
Marie Yarington

Was a waste of a whole day for me at least twice.! Found nothing out and still have issues
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you "found nothing out", then I assume that it showed the same usage, which would indicate something on your side of the modem is causing the usage.
Marie Yarington

Then explain when we do actually use the Internet like in the winter we never went over. Just so over this company
Marie Yarington

Just letting them know they aren't the only ones with issues of data loss and it's always the customers issue
k.a.christensen

Thanks all for the mostly polite replies. I'll try to answer more questions...

Forgot to provide my San of DSSXXXXXXXXX - edited - Chris

The only devices connected are the two listed. An iPad and the Xbox one. I do have a smart tv but I have not set it up on my wireless network. I didn't think glassware could be used on either. I DO NOT have a PC or desktop up and running on the network. It has been shut down and sitting collecting dust for a couple months now. I do not have any directv or dish at the house either. Although I might have to pretty soon.

It is possible someone hacked the network although likely not. I am a park ranger who lives far away enough from anyone else that no one could be using my wireless effectively, unless they parked in the middle of the road to do so. Even then I don't think the signal could reach.

I performed the modem isolation test and everything is exactly the same as I left it yesterday morning, 2.4gb remaining. It should also be noted that this is the only time I've had my data allowance decrease unexpectedly.

This is not some fuming rant or hate thread against Hughes. I'm just trying to figure it out.

Ps my zip code shows a freedom plan on Excede for 150gb for 99.99 not including equip rental or the sped boost to 25mbps. Maybe they are not near capacity out on the west coast? I can show a photo if you want. Just trying to get the best deal on service obviously.
k.a.christensen

It used to be but I have since shut it off. It also showed the last cloud update to be a week ago.
GabeU

k.a.christensen,

Before you do anything else, go up and DELETE YOUR SAN that you just posted.

I know you don't know this, but NEVER post your SAN.

Hopefully you'll see this and do so before someone directly replies to that particular comment.  Once that happens you can no longer edit the post and will have to wait until tomorrow for a rep to edit the SAN out of the post.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Too late, doesn't have to be a direct reply, any reply locks out editing. A rep will have to do it tomorrow.
GabeU

Without a PC, Glasswire isn't going to help, but that's okay.  Without it happening often (and that's a good thing), the isolation test might not be of much help, but at least for that time it showed there was no data leakage.  As of right now, and only going by that one test, plus experience, it's pointing toward one or both of your devices, but I don't have either of them so I can't be of much help to you with regard to just what is going on with them, which one is doing it (or both), and what on them is may be using the data. 

There's no need to post a photo about the Exede plan.  Different plans for different areas.  I believe you.  I just couldn't find the same plan you mentioned with plugging zips from different areas of the country into their plan selector.

I hope someone with those two devices can help you figure out what used the data.      

GabeU

Well, that stinks.  You can't warn somebody without making it impossible for them to react to the warning.  LOL.  Sheesh, what a system, but I understand, sort of, why it is the way it is. A direct reply locking it from being changed I get, but not an indirect one.   
GabeU

It's too bad they don't have a system of messaging, like IMDB does, where you can message someone, but without learning their private info.  That would certainly help in a situation like this. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They surveyed customers about recommended site updates awhile back but nothing changed yet. It is outsourced to Get Satisfaction. The "other guys" site is pretty much identical, run by GS also.