cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost 14 GB disappeared in 10 days

Spectator

Almost 14 GB disappeared in 10 days

Account throttled twice and had to call Tech Support to get Bonus thingy.  I haven't been able to access Hughes support on line in several years.  Get stuck in endless loop.  Anyway.  Finally noticed on my System Control Center that surprise, surprise close to 14 GB used in last 10 days. After several determined calls to Tech Support and doing the disconnect off for 2 hours, was told that they had located at least 7 different Apple routers that had been using my account.  I do not have routers anywhere and never had....Tech support insisted it was an Apple problem and to call them right away. 
Called Apple Support and with screen share was able to verify that no way was any WiFi device able to use my system. 
Called Hughes Tech back, relayed that all Apple devices have a distinct ID, gave them mine and suggested they contact Apple with all the Apple routers using my account and have them identify the thieves. Was told that they had returned all my lost GB's and a free upgrade with 1 yr contract.
I have been a Hughes customer for at least 10 years and have updated to all the new modems as they come out.  My monthly cost is the lowest it has ever been. 
I did contact Tech Support again this morning to try and resolve the endless loop never sign on problem thinking I definitely needed to change my password at the least.  They had to change password on their end and was able to access email first time in over a year. Then several hours later, I was able to access account and update password and believe it not, could access my account information using my email user name.  Still cannot change my non-email user name and password.  One more call to Tech Support.  There is hope.....
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Almost 14 GB disappeared in 10 days

Same thing happening to me, beginning to get fed up with hughesnet.............

Have you ran an anti-virus scan? Viruses and malware can use extreme amounts of bandwidth and when they do that web browsing will be near impossible and you will use massive amounts of data.
do you download or stream videos often? Facebook also uses a lot of data. 

I have a Mac mini and have all the security, privacy, firewall, notifications for outside attempts enabled.  Memory serves that Hughes net does not support streaming or downloading of videos or game playing; therefore, I have never used them.  I sign out of Facebook when I use it and have always had auto play of videos disabled.  My use of Hughes net has remained the same for many years and  this was a sudden, unexplainable drain.  Also, when Tech support told me that 7 different Mac routers were using my account....that seemed to be their security problem, not mine.  At the recommendation of Hughes Tech support, within minutes I had Apple Support check my settings, and they verified that my settings absolutely precluded anyone from using a router of any kind on my system.
Since I had been unable to access my email from my hughes net for months, Tech support had to physically change my password to enable me use of the email website.  Now, I need another hour or two to get them to change my username and password for internet access.  How strange is that? User name and password works for my computer to access internet but I can't access settings to change them.

how you checked out http://192.168.0.1

Hi lorrieh,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can help address your concerns here if you like, just let us know more in detail what exactly you're experiencing at the moment so we more effectively assist you.
User name and password works for my computer to access internet but I can't access settings to change them.
How do you mean?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi lorrieh,

It's been over a week since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->