Hughesnet Community

Already through data unsure how

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
campbellkelli

Already through data unsure how

We just got our Hughesnet installed on August 28th. So its been two week. We have been super careful not to use Facebook or Youtube or Netflix (at all) and have been only gong on with our computers. There are only two of us and we don't connect our phones to it either except during to 2-8AM time. So we just don't know how we used so much in just short time. I feel like I was very mislead when purchasing it since I said I mostly need it for going on the internet to do school work and now I can't do that even. We are frustrated since we want it to work but just do not want to be paying $70 a month for something that doesn't work all the time and we only bought this so I don't have to go to coffee shops to do homework, but here I am only two weeks into our first month at a coffee shop posting this since my internet would not even load a page I have to use for homework. I was informed that if we just did internet browsing we would be okay. I was really hoping for a better solution.
I feel like we've tried everything to limit but is there more? I've already tried turning off syncing and all that jazz.
18 REPLIES 18
suebee68

Wrong avenue! I'm trapped as well and need it for work. Can't open web pages for minutes. No streaming whatsoever. Lightning speed my bleep! I still go to coffee shop and I'm on highest plan
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As I recall suebee68 you didn't follow up with troubleshooting here in the Community.
If its "broke" and you do nothing it will remain broke.
suebee68

Oh yes I did. And made phone call after phone call. Not that you work for Hughes and would know. You only harm the process with your rudeness. Making Hughes a further detriment.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As stated, not here in the Community.
Different venue.
Different corporate level Hughes Mods.
A wealth of practical experience among community members.
I guess you know better however.
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi there campbellkli!

If all you're doing is going on the Internet, no streaming video, no social media, no downloading or uploading huge files, then you should be able to get through a whole month easily. So something is amiss. We need to figure out what's going on and how your data is leaking. One of the official reps will post here in the morning and ask you for some information. You may be asked to perform some simple tests to help determine what's happening.

The Champions and some forum regulars are also extremely knowledgeable and will gladly help you too. While I do love a good coffee, I wouldn't want to spend all my time doing homework there either! So let's figure out what's going on so you can brew your coffee at home! 🙂
Liz

Good morning campbellkelli,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Moving forward, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

campbellkelli

I can't do that since they are resetting my bytes every single day. It always says I have 100% of my data usage. So how am I to do that if I can't see how much I use. I look at my data map thing and can kinda judge from that. Like it says we use over a gig of data in one day and thats maybe 2-3 hours of internet use only.
Liz

Good morning campbellkelli,

The daily data resets stop after the first 20 days, afterwards your data will reset monthly on the 28th of each month.

To help you out, I've extended your deadline to cancel without ETF to 10/28/16 so you have more time to evaluate your regular data usage.

Let me know if you have additional concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

campbellkelli

Thank you very much I do appreciate that. We will see what we are doing. Does unplugging the router and such during the day and at night help at all?
-Kelli
HughesNetCorpor

Hi Kelli,
  I was just browsing through your conversation here..
There are a number of things that you can do to ensure that your computer and any other connected devices are using the very least amount of data possible.
I'm sure there are several members within this community that would be willing to work with you to ensure that your both your computers and router at set up correctly for optimal use.

If your willing, perhaps you could provide more details on your exact set up...
how many computers, what platforms they are using, router information, etc..any and all details you can provide with regards to the way you have your computer set up currently can really help determine all what else you can do to prevent your devices from using more data than they need to be.

Also..this initial 20 days of resets is a great time to download the programs suggested above and is one of the reason why HughesNet does this.
Many people get upset because HughesNet conducts these resets during the first month of service, but if you think about it this way...when you get a new cell phone, you end up using a lot, if not all, of your monthly cell phone data, because your having to re-downloading all of those apps and/or update the new phone. The cell phone companies don't take this into consideration so whatever data you use to set up your new phone is charged against you..like normal.

HughesNet expects and understands that new customers are, more than likely, going to be using more data than normal during that first month...so to offset this, HughesNet resets your allowance daily for the first few weeks.
If anything, this is a time to take advantage of those resets and download everything you need before this period ends.

((HUGS))
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, if you have a device(s) using data behind your back. But doesn't really solve the main problem of the device(s) doing things in the background that you need to get control of.
campbellkelli

I have a HP that runs on windows 10 and the only other deivice is a mac air that is like 6 years old (I don't know its particular IOS) We both have Galaxy 5s but do not hook them up to the internet. We are going to try a different technique going forwards with what we look at and download but just used to other internet sources.
 I have to be able to stream a webcam for my school so they can watch when I take tests and I think that will just drain it faster and it needs a good connection so it doesn't fail so I'm just not sure if we can use this service unfortunately. Unless there is something we are missing.
HughesNetCorpor

Streaming the webcam may indeed use up a good deal of data.
I'll tell ya..I home schooled both of my boys (Connections Academy). At the time we had Wild Blue..same type of 'satellite' service as HughesNet, just a different provider...
We were, as part of the school curriculum, required to attend at least 2 live lessons per week, per child.
After the first week, it was just impossible for us to continue doing that as we simply did not have the bandwidth capabilities. Even downloading the e-textbook used a great deal of our monthly data allowance....and back then, our data didn't reset 100% at the begging of every month...but rather we were on a 30 day rolling period (horrrrrible)
Like you, students were also required to set up/use a webcam so that the teachers and students could see each other for certain lessons/tests

We were lucky in that our school, being aware of our location and our ISP limitations, worked with us during those entire 4 years, providing us with other options/alternatives and making it possible for the boys to complete their daily assignments without the need to attend the live lessons or use a webcam.
For certain test, it meant us having to drive 300+ miles to the closest testing facility, but we did what we had to do.
The school sent us hard copies of their textbooks each year so we didn't have to download them, and we got into a habit of working 'offline' and via phone as much as possible.
I'm happy to say that both the boys graduated 🙂 my youngest is now married and serving in the U.S Navy, and my oldest went on to college to complete his ADN.

It's not impossible to get through your schooling using HughesNet or any satellite provider, but it does take some patience..a LOT of patience and no doubt, if you choose to continue with HughesNet, it may be a good idea if you contact your school and advise them of your internet/bandwidth situation. I am sure they will work with you and provide you with alternatives to your current requirements based on your situation.
campbellkelli

Thats cool it work out. But unfortunately a University doesn't really care about your situation and you just have to make it work or not do school.Especially an online only University. But thanks for trying 🙂
ackoch

I had much the same problem. I'm no geek, but what I discovered using Task Manager was that the icloud files were very active. Since I don't use or need icloud, I deleted those files & my problem went away. If it is not icloud, something else is very active in background. Try to find out what it is using your Task Manager.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

campbelkelli,

Do you have a DirecTV receiver that might be connected to the service?  If so, that will use data even if not streaming, and even when turned off.  Just a thought. 

campbellkelli

i Thought about that too but we have dish so nothing should be connected. I've turned off all my other devices or put them on airplane mode. I downloaded a new system to see how much I'm using and it says i'm not using as much as HughesNet says I'm using... But it could be just the sites I have to use for school. So this just might not be agood fit for me to use.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, Dish can be connected as well, but if you or the installer didn't actively do so, it wouldn't be.  Glad you are actively trying to figure it out.