Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

Highlighted
Sophomore

Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

I would even go far as do a wipe with something like CCleaner which writes 1's and 0's to the entire drive. Takes good while but worth it with any used drive.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Yes!
Highlighted
Sophomore

I think most of us Have those boxes full of Harddrives... Just because you never know when you might need the extra storage.. Or that back up of files. or maybe you just want to build a hobby system.. Lots of possibilities. But Security is important.
Highlighted

I have a CD from an old job with a program that wipes hard-drives: overwrites with 0s and such. Never had to use it though, because I also hoard my HDDs.

Thanks for the share, jrgarrett!

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted
Sophomore

That would be called a Zero Fill or Low Level Format Tool.. Always handy.
Highlighted

Delete the partition with fdisk or gparted then reformat it as a dos drive then fdisk it again poof all gone cannot be retrieved due to no partition to refer back to.  
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I have 10 internal drives in my main computer (Bertha), five have different operating systems, the remaining five ar data drives for assigned storage to the OS's.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Actually you do not need a partition to reconstruct a file.. You can use a utility to dig out the files that have not been overwritten.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Sound like you have plenty of storage.