cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

Sophomore

Re: Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

People install new Oses  delete partitions Format and forget about their files.. then you have to rescue those files.. most usually you can get them back unless its been wiped with a zero fill or the file has gotten overwritten by another file which usually does not happen immediately..
Honorary Alumnus

I use the "military wipe" function of Dban to wipe my PATA and SATA drives.

Not to be used on SSD's so know your hardware.

Honorary Alumnus

yup, just wiping the partition is not enough. (depending on desired level of "cleanSmiley Happy

Writing random 1's & 0"s repeatedly will do the job.

So will taking a hammer to the platters.

Sophomore

Hammers work wonders and help with that pesky aggression when it comes to faulty hardware! Lol!
Sophomore

Yes spinning platters are different from flash memory based storage.. Some utilities can cause them to wear quicker.
Sophomore

This is mostly due to the extra bunch of reads and writes.

Myself I keep stuff till it is so darn old no one wants it so I don't or can't sell anything anyway.  I still have and use an old HP Pavilion from the late 90s just to run my Canon LBP 430 printer I have on my network.  My Acer don't have a LPT1 Port to run that thing.  Once I get rid of a harddrive or PC it is because the thing just plain quit working.  Heck I still drive a 1986 Toyota 4WD Pickup. 
Sophomore

Old stuff is the best! Especially if it out lasts a bunch of newer stuff! Smiley Happy
Honorary Alumnus

I have a Western Digital hard drive (PATA) that dates back to early 1999. It has thousands of hours on it. SMART indicates no big issues so far.

It serves as a "data drive" on Wife's computer.

Waste Not, Want Not (also applies to Beer ")  )

Sophomore

I too have a few PATA drives that have outlasted many of my SATA drives.. It is like the quality just isn't there anymore.   Although programming while drinking leads to WTF was I doing last night! in the morning Lol!