cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

Like mentioned by a few, writing zeroes and ones or using some wiping program is critical when HDDs are going to change hands.  Formatting doesn't really erase the data. 

With that said, this was a good and informative topic to address and may keep someone out of a mess of trouble. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Associate Professor

I hope you guys understand that those wipe programs hardly work, I can recover back about 4-5 basic wipes worth of data, can usually recover single pass DoD wipes as well.

Also, if you are using an SSD, or Flash based storage, don't bother wiping, even a secure erase doesn't remove what was stored.  Just makes it impossible for the average joe to recover said data.

The best security is this, done with the device?  Destroy the storage on it, physically.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I've done that to a few.  A nice chisel and hand sledge work VERY well. 

If I'm going to toss them, that's the method I use.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I usually do the 10 pass on the drives I feel must be wiped and a hammer on those I consider "critical:.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Then there is this:

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

That has got to make a noise !

Highlighted
Sophomore

CRUNCH! LOL
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Associate Professor

It's funny, because I have a friend that works at a farm equipment manufacture as an IT Admin Assistant.  He has shown me pictures of the firing range that they have for destroying disks, rather comical seeing someone take a shotgun and continuously fire at a disk, then run a big electro magnet over them.
Highlighted
Sophomore

No way of recovering from that!!. Lol