Re: Always Format your drives, Devices or computers

Yeah that would take a few days! lol
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

There IS this option but it too takes several passes to be effective:

Highlighted

I have done that with a Cat D-7 but it was Pickup Trucks not motorcycles.  Squished about six of them at one time back in the eighties when I worked as a Construction Mechanic. 
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Your smallest HDD is 4TB?  Wow.  I've got an old 40GB laying in a box if you want it.  It's IDE, but that doesn't matter.  Just cram that cable in there and use some electrical tape!  LOL. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Corrosive,

I thought about using my old drives for targets, too.  They'd be great for a 200yd target for a .223  I already had fun with my original Hughesnet dish and my shotgun.  LOL.  That made a mess to clean up, though.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Yeup, HDD for my mass storage, and SSD for anything lower than 4TB... I generally run into one of two situations...  Personal rig that needs no more than 512GB of storage, or server that needs massive amounts of storage.

EDIT: Also, a little over 6 days to do 2 DoD passes on my 4TB disk.
Highlighted

I whaped my old Dish Network Dish with my 12ga Springfield and a 3 inch Magnum #3 steel shock.  Glad it only took 1 shot that thing like to tore my shoulder off.  Never gonna use a 3 inch Magnum again in a pump.
Highlighted

Corrosive,

I've often thought about that (using the .22LR), but was always a little worried about what the main part of the body of an HDD is made of.  Cast aluminum?  I was just concerned with ricochet.  I have some old 42gr round nose which might actually be perfect for that. 

Gary,

Eek!  I've got a bad back as it is.  I can't imagine what those 12ga magnums feel like.  The regular 12ga shell is about all I want to handle, and even then, four or five shots and my shoulder and back are spent.  I bet that sucker made a nice mess of that dish, though.  LOL.  

Highlighted

Corrosive,

I think you previously mentioned that you had servers. I had forgotten about that, but with a server, or servers, I can definitely see a high capacity HDD like that being necessary.  For me, if it's not mainly for storage, I go with the SSD, too.  Each of my three PCs have Samsung EVO 250GB SSDs.  My desktop also has a 500GB HDD in it for storage, and I have the 750GB external USB drive for the backups.  I actually still have the original 500GB Laptop HDDs that came in my laptop and notebook, but they just sit there with the original W8 they had on them before I replaced them.  I have four 16GB flash drives for transferring files between computers, too, although one has the Windows 10 upgrade files on it.   

Thirty days to wipe one of those disks...sheesh!