cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am surprised by posts regarding poor service

Am surprised by posts regarding poor service

I have been a Hughes 2-way satellite Internet customer since 2002. During this time I have experienced very little trouble with my systems. Had a modem power supply transformer fail once. Hughes promptly sent a replacement. Problem solved. During very heavy rain or snow events I MAY lose service for a brief period of time. This is a rare event, though. My experience using Hughes for Internet access has been very positive and I am a happy Hughes customer. The negative feedback found here is a great surprise to me.
  • HughesNet System Performance
52 REPLIES
Advanced Tutor

Re: Am surprised by posts regarding poor service

Hi Steve,
My 12+ years has also been mostly positive.
Many of the complaints deal with novice users having a data capped service for the first time.
Thanks for sharing.

I agree with Steve and Gwalk900.  Yes, there have been a few times when I had concerns, but they were always taken care of.  Twice my modem failed and both times a new one arrived within a short period.  My home is 30 miles out in the country and rarely do I lose service completely - usually when there's a severe storm with wind and rain.

The negative feedback found here is a great surprise to me.
Well, it's human nature to complain when things aren't working. This is a support forum so most posters here have a problem. Otherwise, they usually don't feel the need to post.

I once read a study where they found that a person happy with a product or service will tell 2 to 3 others about it. On the other hand, a person unhappy with a product or service will tell 20 to 30 others about it.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

I've been with HN for over a decade and have had no problems.  But this isn't true for everyone, and those who are unhappy are vociferous, whereas those who are happy tend to remain quiet. Ditto what Alan said too, about this being a support forum, so it's mostly for problems.  There ought to be a section for kudos, though, to keep things more balanced.
Advanced Tutor

rarely do I lose service completely - usually when there's a severe storm with wind and rain.
I lose service when there's ice, and sometimes have lost service for no reason I can see ("is it snowing in space?"). Since Gen4 this is not very frequent.  I did lose everything after a hurricane that snapped the pole where the dish was mounted.  The next morning the poor thing was lying pathetically on the sodden ground. The base of the pole had corroded over the years and the hurricane was just the (big giant) straw that broke the camel's back.
Advanced Tutor

Another pretty satisfied customer for 12+ years. Don't let the "Champion" thing turn you off to my comment and others with it. Only a badge for helping posters over the years. I am a true customer, not paid.

As others say, capped data, latency and cost is a negative but I can do what I want including stream Netflix at low definition with no problem on Gen 4.

Many can't adjust if coming from unlimited cable internet. A bit hard for me to understand if they have a cell phone data package. Pretty much the same.

A few bumps along the way but at least I do have +99% reliable internet in the mountains where I live. Cable companies give me nothing.

While my experience with the use of HN equipment and rare calls to Customer Service have been very positive it is a certainty that some will experience failure with their systems. It happens. Do not want to discredit those posting that have a real problem. When I consider the fact that these compact and pretty sophisticated electronic devices are exchanging information up and down at such great distance operating at only 1 watt up the whole idea that these systems function at all is pretty amazing. A couple of pointers from a long-time user; run 5 speed tests in succession on a fairly regular basis and IF you are connecting to a wireless router make sure that it is a quality router that is correctly configured. Last year I went to a dual-band (2.4 & 5 Ghz) router that will connect with the latest AC band. This new router improved the performance of my system immensely. Happy surfing and thanks for all for the positive responses.

Hello Steve,

We're very happy to hear about your positive experience with our service. HughesNet is committed to providing the best satellite internet service all over the world for virtually any situation.

Our community is also a great place to meet other customers and talk tech, joke around or share pictures of wildlife and scenery. Sometimes pictures of cats and dogs make there way in here Smiley Happy

Have a good one
Amanda
Advanced Tutor

Our community is also a great place to meet other customers and talk tech, joke around or share pictures of wildlife and scenery. Sometimes pictures of cats and dogs make there way in here Smiley Happy
Yes! And this adds enormous value to the community and the service the company is providing.  Amanda, besides the really good ratings HN gets from the FCC and the BBB, do you have any other sources of ratings from trade publications or other agencies?  From the little I've seen (from BBB and FCC), Hughesnet has emerged as a leader, even when compared to land-based services (I'm glaring at you, Comcast).