Hughesnet Community

Amanda...A question regarding the D-Link router you sent me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Amanda...A question regarding the D-Link router you sent me.

I helped my folks sign up up for Hughesnet and it's being installed on Wednesday (8/10).  They are finally taking the plunge, and it's about time.  LOL.  Being that they only have a laptop, and most of the time I'm using my desktop, would you mind if I let them use the router you sent me until I can get them one of their own.  I don't want to have them buy one from the installer(s) as that can open up a whole can of worms if something goes wrong with it, as we've seen on here, and I know that this router works well.  I've used it many times with their laptop when I would bring it over to my house to update Windows for them.  I just wanted to make sure that doing so would be okay with you, being that it wasn't something I paid for.  Thanks.   
12 REPLIES 12
Amanda

Hi Gabe

Send me their SAN here and I'll ship one to their house. 🙂

Amanda
GabeU

Oh, wow.  Okay.  When I find out what their SAN is after the install tomorrow I will post the info.  I really appreciate this, and I'm sure they will, too.  Thank you so much. 
GabeU

Amanda,

The SAN for my folks' account is DSS34152870.  The account name is Dennis Paul.  I really appreciate this, as do they. 

BTW, their system is working as well as mine, and the installers did very well.  My folks are very happy, and the router will surely add to that. 

Thanks again. 

Amanda

Hi Gabe

The order has been placed! Not sure on approximate shipping times, hopefully within a couple of days. Let me know if you or your folks need anything else!

Amanda
GabeU

I'll let you know when it comes in, but of course, any time is fine.  My stepfather, especially, is loving it.  My mother asked me yesterday, half jokingly, if there was any daily time limit to using Hughesnet, as my stepfather was on for hours.  He's been somewhat of a Facebook junkie for a while, starting his own Baseball group.  LOL.

BTW, if you'd like, for the privilege of receiving the router, I can also give you the same type of info for this one that I gave you for the one that you sent to me.  If you'd like that, let me know.  I'd be very happy to do it. 

Again, I can't say how much I and my folks appreciate this.     

Amanda

I'm happy to hear they're enjoying it! I think that the work you did for me with the first router was enough information... but there is something you can check out and play around with. I recently had the champs test the app "Netgear Wifi Analyzer" (iOS and Android) with their home networks to see what kind of varying results they got. Download it and play around, feel free to send screenshots of anything you think is interesting. I want to see how we can use this app in the community as a recommendation to users who have poor connectivity.

Thanks & we appreciate all you do for us!!!
Amanda
GabeU

I'd be happy to test that app, but I don't believe I have anything that will work with it.  I don't own an Android device, and have nothing with iOS.  My two laptops have Windows 10 and my TracFone has it's own proprietary interface.  My folks have the same TracFone, though their laptop has Windows 8.1 instead of 10.

Have anything else I might be able to help with?  I'd be happy to.  

Amanda

Interesting.. Wish we could send out free mobile devices too! (lol)

Other than the Analyzer, not much else going on. As I determine what this app can help with and see if changes made to routers/devices can universally improve service, I may return to our original thread and ask you to tweak a couple of things. 🙂

Amanda
GabeU

Sorry I couldn't be of help with this particular thing, but I would be happy to do what I can in the future.  Like I said, I will let you know when the router gets here and how it works for them.  Thanks again for all you have done.  It won't be forgotten. 
GabeU

Amanda,

I just wanted to let you know that my folks did receive the router.  It was either yesterday or Tuesday.  I haven't gotten over there to hook it up yet as I've been a bit under the weather, but when I do I'll let you know how it went.  Thanks again. 

GabeU

Amanda,

I set the router up for them and it worked perfectly.  It took me a second to remember where the password was for the computer to actually connect to the router, but I think I was a coffee short when I did so.  LOL. 

Anyway, thanks again.  They said to thank you, as well.  My stepfather loves being able to use the laptop in the kitchen when cooking and in his "baseball room" when researching the baseball memorabilia he collects.  They get reception pretty much anywhere in their house, so it's perfect. 

Teaching him the steps for importing pictures from his camera to his computer, resizing them, then uploading them to Facebook, is another story.  That one's going to take a while.  LOL.        

Amanda

Great to hear Gabe! Glad everyone is happy. 🙂

Amanda