cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing performance

Tutor

Amazing performance

I wanted to download a 1.4 GB (1398 MB) Linux distro. I set my download manager to do it at 2 AM in my bonus period but my computer went to sleep before it happened. When I got up, I went ahead and started the download. It completed in less than 10 minutes.

It wasn't all that many years ago I was downloading at 1 MB per 4 minutes. Now I can download at more than 140 MB per minute.
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Amazing performance

Hi GW,

Thanks for posting and sharing this positive experience! We're happy to hear this and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. If you need anything, post back, we're here to help.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

hey GW fellow Linux user

What Distro did you download? 

I use Mint 17-64 on all three of my PCs was using 15 and 12 before that.  I do have Windows 7 dual boot on 2 machines for non Linux programs but truly love Linux Mint fast dependable and no need for AV and all the security needed for Windows. 

BTW:  What DL Manager do you use I have had all kinds of problems with corrupt downloads when using a DL manager?

Gary
Tutor

Gary. I got Linux Mint Mate 17-64. I haven't used a linux for a while. Last one was (I think) Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

I use the Free Download Manger. It never gives me any problems but I haven't burned the ISO yet so we shall see how this one did. The last time I downloaded a distro was on dialup. It took about a week with all the disconnects and reconnects.

Funny thig happened when I was deciding which distro to get last night.... my norton crashed. I had to re-enter my license number and download 285 MB of updates. Some nice positive reinforcement for the decision to go back to a linux. I think I'll just use another networked computer for my stuff that simply can't be made to work with linux rather than do the boot-boot-reboot routine on my main gizmo.

GW I use Cinnamon with 17-64 bit but just read that there is a Mint 17.1 release out now both Cinnamon and Mate that sounds pretty good from what I have read.  There is supposed to be a Upgrade pack set to launch at the end of the month so a full reinstall wont be needed to upgrade.

I have heard many horror stories about Norton that is why I use AVG and MSIE in my windows boot.  I have  been thinking about doing a full partition on my secondary PC but need alot of windows programs to run my web site.  Funny though my web site is Linux Based.

Jezra sure does, however I don’t venture into Windows very much any more but found a 'apt-get' command in terminal that will work inside Linux.  I am working on getting completely away from the Windows Virus it is just to vulnerable from hackers and has to many security holes. With Linux the worries are few, no need for AV software, nothing can be installed without a password, it is loaded with open source programs, and with WINE/Play on Linux installed many windows programs work just fine.  With Win 8 and 8.1 out I do be leave it wont be long till support ends for Windows 7 and the back door is wide open.  I refuse to buy any Windows and build my own PCs so going to 8 is out of the question.

please explain further very interested
Tutor

Gary, how large of a partition is ideal for Linux Mint Mate? I have a 39 GB partition on a 3rd drive just waiting for something new to go on it. It's got an old XP install on it now.

That's plenty enough for a very good test drive or to use for some time Mint won't use as much a Winderz.  All I have on one PC is 30 gb partitioned for Linux and there is pleanty of space.  Your 39 will work great for you to get used to it and remember it's not Windows Mint uses a lot less space and resources.  As far as space it depends on all you do the more you use the more you need.

Cool I'll have to give that a try "Dunker"