Hughesnet Community

Amazon streaming: very poor video quality

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bennettlink

Amazon streaming: very poor video quality

Video quality is extremely poor, way below DVD quality, and only with Amazon; both Netflix and Youtube are fine. I have high data rates, about 25 Mbs or higher. Video Saving is off. The behavior is the same on two laptops, two iPads, and Apple TV, with a cable direct to the modem, or with wifi. Amazon streams perfectly if I use another provider. 

If I suffer through a movie with the poor resolution, the session still gobbles up more than 1GB per hour. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions. 

5 REPLIES 5
kc155
Freshman

I just tried streaming a video with Amazon for the first time and experienced a lot of pixelating and buffering.  Just got the satellite dish a few days ago and would also like any ideas and tips. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kc155

Because your issue may have a different cause than the OP's, it would be best for you to start a new topic, which you can do from the following link....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

The problem is that Hughes has oversold Gen5. They are squeezing the life out of our access.

I recommend that you start complaining using social media. This way the world can see what is going on with Hughes.

The Twitter account for corporate is @Hughes_Corp. You can also add your voice to @AskHughes while also actually reading the pages and pages of unsatisied customers.

While this group can be helpful, they are way over their heads at this time.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

My non-expert opinion is it's a problem with Amazon.  Like you, I can stream Netflix and YouTube just fine. Amazon, not so much -- it pixelates quite a bit, and sometimes it buffers when neither of the other two have a problem.  Amazon may just not handle satellite internet very well. 

@bennettlink wrote:

Video quality is extremely poor, way below DVD quality, and only with Amazon; both Netflix and Youtube are fine. I have high data rates, about 25 Mbs or higher. Video Saving is off. The behavior is the same on two laptops, two iPads, and Apple TV, with a cable direct to the modem, or with wifi. Amazon streams perfectly if I use another provider. 

If I suffer through a movie with the poor resolution, the session still gobbles up more than 1GB per hour. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions.