Hughesnet Community

Amazon video streaming fails 100% of the time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hasmat

Amazon video streaming fails 100% of the time.

I get an error on Hughes net now. “Something went wrong”. I switch to my AT&T hotspot it works 100% of the time. Complete failure on Hughes great on Att. Something is wrong with you guys. This services is the worst ever.
5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Hasmat 

What device are you using to stream from Amazon?  Also, what method of connection are you using for that device (WiFi or LAN cable)? Lastly, when does the message occur, as in at what point in the streaming attempt? 

Do you have problems while performing other tasks, or is this strictly an Amazon streaming issue?

It may help to post the a snapshot of the message.

Edit:  I should also ask to make sure you are not out of plan data.

Hasmat

All good questions. I’ve purchased 25 of extra data plan tokens and have 11 left according to my app

I hade 2 55” Roku TVs. Built in Roku device. Netflix works fine but not amazon

I am connected via WiFi and one tv is in the same room and about 10 ft from router. Next tv is is next room about same distance but some obstruction

I’ve tried both WIFI channels neither change the experience.

It’s when I first try to play a show or movie or preview. The menu works. Just not any video playback

Same experience both TVs. Rebooted both. Rebooted router as well. It’s been going on for the last couple months. Wasn’t always like this.

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Hasmat 

It's possible that it's due to a combination of the high latency and congestion, the latter of which has increased dramatically since March.  Unfortunately, Amazon tends to be the most difficult due to using Progressive streaming, whereas most others, like Netflix, use Adaptive streaming, which likely explains why you're still able to stream with the Netflix.  With this said, there are a still a few troubleshooting things that can be done to help determine the cause.    

With the TVs being so close to the modem, and with you having tried both bands, it's very unlikely that it's a WiFi signal problem, but it never hurts to check it, just in case.  If you have the HughesNet Mobile App, which you can get at Google Play or the App Store, the WiFi signal tester is the middle icon when you tap on the orange plus sign on the lower right of the app.  I only have the Android version, so I don't know if the iPhone version is exactly the same.  Make sure that the phone is using the same band as your TV (2.4GHz or 5GHz), and make sure the phone is next to the TV when testing to get an accurate test for your TVs location.  Again, it's unlikely that this has anything to do with it, especially with your TVs being so close, but it never hurts to check, just to be sure.  

Lastly, it'd be a good idea to run a few speed tests to see what kind of speed you're getting.  I'll post the instructions for the speed tests below, as they need to be run in a specific way to be accepted as accurate, including by the reps if they need the results as a part of the troubleshooting process. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).