Hughesnet Community

An alternative developing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdhobbs

An alternative developing

Have you encountered this from any of the reps or quasi-professional groupies at this site?

"So we can confirm that there is no gaming system in the house, streaming devices, cellphones, or Smart TVs, etc. No one is listening to music, there are no clouds, birds, swarms of insects or planes in the sky? Anything besides a web browser and email program being used that you can think of?” 

Does it induce you to ask yourself, "what am I paying for"? You have limited, marginal internet service, provided you use only the bare essentials or utilize the subscription at bizarre times of the day! Our electronic communication devices may have fantastic capabilities but they cannot be utilized with HughesNet without penalty or excessive data use! HughesNet is charging a major premium for very meager service and even then, we must invest obscene amounts of time wading through the comedic technical support Twilight Zone!   

Take heart, there are better, more cost effective alternatives being developed. If you have access to a new Florida based company called, Wi-Power, soon to be nationwide, give them a hard look. They are just now establishing service for first responders, law enforcement and military in the Rockies but based upon what we’re hearing from a number of existing subscribed law enforcement agencies in extremely rural areas, their service is far superior, much less costly and not nearly as restrictive or problematic as HughesNet or Excede! 

We are told service to our immediate area is probably 3 to 5 months out but the savings and lack of technical issues is reportedly profoundly better than with either of the existing satellite providers.

For so many of us, jaded with the interminable excuses and pathetic performance of Hughes and others, this “may" well be a good alternative. I am not selling nor promoting Wi-Power, simply sharing the availability of an alternative ISP with other dissatisfied HughesNet customers. It could be well worth your time to look into availability in your area. 

Best of luck! 
58 REPLIES 58
GW
Advanced Tutor

Good luck with that.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Looks like WISP. Won't ever be widely available in my mountainous area as would take too many towers and not profitable with low population density.
gokartergo24
Tutor

And they have to be within 7 miles of a tower. We have a few in our area.  They are usually much lower speeds. and are expensive to put in. Be cause they usually have to build up a tower to get over trees.
mdhobbs

The correct distance is 20 miles. Verified. 
gokartergo24
Tutor

I have talked with a couple the installers of these systems.  Up to 7 miles  after that  It is pretty much useless.
gokartergo24
Tutor

And has usual.mdhobbs, You talk a lot about stuff you obviously now nothing about. But in your own mind.. You are a expert in these matters.
GW
Advanced Tutor

Somebody tried to set up a WISP in my area many years ago. It didn't work out well for them. We have a lot of trees in Lower Alabama.

They thought I would need a 70' pole for my antenna but still may not receive good service. Yeah, right.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Flat lands of Nevada, Texas, New Mexico,Oklahoma, etc. where few trees and can see for miles then WISP is great. Not so much when start to add lots of trees and hills/mountains.

Flat, bare land, it can go for miles and miles.
mdhobbs

LOL....oh “gokart”.....really??? I will surmise you just probably neglected to wear your helmet, resulting in diminished brain function capability, leading to abject moronism. That is not a Professional diagnosis however so you will not be billed, this time.

No sir! Not at all!! I am most certainly NOT an expert, more especially in this venue. However, when considering making a substantial investment in an organization I know little or nothing about, I do try to learn what is required to justify the investment. That you are so horrendously wrong with a broad brush does not render you totally wrong. Stupid perhaps but not necessarily wrong. In specific applications (that would be terrain, for you) the radius is diminished. However, based upon the documents provided me and substantiated by some already utilizing the service, 20 miles is a good “average” number.  You do comprehend, “average"? Right? You may look it up later. 

Carry on and continue to impersonate a manure spreader to your heart’s content. Truly makes me no difference. I did not invite you nor solicit your brain-damaged intrusion. Your pathetically feeble attempt at appearing “knowledgable” is marginally laughable but well in keeping for this venue. You may certainly believe what you wish.....and extoll as much BS as you are challengingly capable of producing. After all, when one hides behind anonymity, they typically have fear of being revealed for who they truly are!  

So, how’s the climate under your wet, slimy rock?

Merry Christmas!!!!

mdhobbs

Oddly enough.....New Mexico happens to be home. Mountains, valleys, mesas, arroyos and expansive prairies. Those using the service are very pleased. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My back yard, WISP won't work so good.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

MD, you sure got the passive aggressive thing down by saying someone lives under a wet, slimy rock without just calling them vermin, a snake, or whatever. Good for you!

As you say, have a nice holiday.
mdhobbs

Most folks are not attempting to acquire service to the basement of an outhouse. Maybe you should ask your landlord for a ground floor unit? 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You've turned into a total troll. I'm done, should have known better than to respond to a post you started anyway. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

People respond with facts and you start flinging the poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
mdhobbs

I wholly understand where you are coming from and it is quite alright. I did not seek anyone out, did I? You folks are quite adept at condescension and insult but you certainly are ouchy when you get what you give.

If that in fact is your backyard I believe you need to get off your butt, leave the computer alone for a couple days and get to know the working side of an axe or a chainsaw! That is inexcusable! 

And no, I did not say, “have a nice holiday”. I DID write, “Merry Christmas”.  
gokartergo24
Tutor

LOL, Reading your comments just makes me laugh. I am some what of a expert at this. I have been in the satellite installation bushiness for about 14 years. I have installed Dish, DTV and wildblue/exede and currently and for the last 4 years Hughesnet. It is my business to understand  other company's in my area. I meet with and talk with other installers. So you trying to teach me about WISP isps. Is a joke in itself. Many people on here have tried to help you. Along with corp people. Yet you just continue on with your smart arse remarks.   Hopefully sooner then later. You will start to understand that.  But I doubt it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No, it is what we love, just the way it is. Why we are very happy to have satellite internet available. Merry Christmas!
mdhobbs

Wonderful!!l! Laughter is good for the soul. 

No sir, never did I allude to teaching you anything. I am quite certain I am not qualified. Neither am I a fool. 

You will make the choices, maintain the attitude or life will blow over your corpse. You are wholly welcome to maintain that your vision encompasses the universe. I know mine does not. 

The information I was provided is dramatically different that your protestations. I am quite content for you to adhere to your beliefs. Makes me no difference, until your truth ceases being “true" in a public environment.

Merry Christmas 
GW
Advanced Tutor

Definitely a troll but mainly a legend in his own mind.
rickynascar1

mdhobbs, you are certainly something else. Most everything I read from you is negative. Frequently bashing someone or something. Even when you are presenting with facts from people way more experienced in Satellite operations you refuse to believe them. Satellite works great for me as well and I get fantastic speed most of the time. I have encountered problems but I worked with the folks here on this forum and they were resolved. As I have seen posted before stop calling Tier 1 everyday. Works with the corporate folks here and fix your issue. Or you can continue to complain and bash everyone and deal with a system not up to par. It really is your choice. The way your are going about it will get you more and more isolated.

Merry Christmas!