An idea concerning Windows 10 Updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markckunkel

An idea concerning Windows 10 Updates.

If
you set your network connection to be a metered connection, Windows will not automatically download any updates, or at least that is my understanding. A metered connection is primarily designed for users of a cell phone hot spot, but certainly it applies for users of satellite users as well. The details vary depending on the Windows 10 edition that you have and if you are using a wired or a wireless connection. Searching for Windows 10 metered connection should provide details on how to set this up.

Unfortunately, there is no option to allow the updates to be scheduled during the bonus bytes hours. This also means that you will need to run the updates manually in order to get the updates. So far as I know there is no downside to setting the connection as a metered connection. I have been running this way for a couple of weeks.
11 REPLIES 11
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Setting to a metered connection will work if you connect to your network wirelessly.
It will not work for wired connections without a registry hack. One that will have to be re-done after every update.
jaynelouis
New Poster

since the windows anniversary update, I can no longer find the metered connection function.  It used to be in the settings under Network and Internet.  Does anybody know where it is located now?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If it's not under Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi > Advanced Options then I have no idea...

I know I don't see the defer option anymore either...
Amanda

Great topic and just in time, too.

We have a Windows 10 computer in the lab and I am looking into it right now. As far as I know you cannot adjust the download itself, but the installation. I will investigate and let you know what options I find.

Thanks!
Amanda
dogoodman
New Poster

Try looking under Devices,  Bluetooth, Printers, Mouse. I haven't figured out why they chose that grouping, but that's where it is.
Amanda

So I found out that if you are using an ethernet connection, you cannot set it to metered. I have no idea why this is and many people have complained about it on the MS boards. 

Even having a metered connection set does not stop automatic updates from happening (only "patches") so the BIG updates that you would want to manually download don't give you that option anyway. 

The only thing I could possibly think of, which is absolutely silly, is to keep your computer unplugged or off the day an update is coming out. Plug it back it and turn it on to update during the Bonus hours.  You could also set that computer to relay the update to other Windows 10 devices in the house so they don't re-download the same update. 

Amanda
jaynelouis
New Poster

dogoodman...thank you so much!!  I never would have figured that out 🙂
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Strangely, in a few of the Preview builds, they did have an option to set wired to Metered, but removed it... It was a feature everyone was wanting in big ways. 😞
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think they like access 24/7 to customer computers.  😛
farmerhugh
Junior

for the metered connection--go to settings--wifi==name- (in my case Netgear)click on that and it brings up the metered function.  Wonder why they moved it?