Another Customer With Slow ( Turtle) Net

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjblugrassy
Freshman

Another Customer With Slow ( Turtle) Net

OK I signed up in May 2017 and dont watch much TV untill the weather gets bad, so the weather is bad and Huges Net is worse. Seems like lots of people have issues. I have called and done the Telephone loop,jump through the hoop, unplug, plug,unplug,plug, tricks and its still slow. They promise 25 Mbps but I very seldom get over 5.Today its not over 2. I have made an account on Testmy.net. and its running now, so what do I do after that? Standing by watching the circle go round !!!!

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jjblugrassy

You should post your testmy.net Results page URL so the reps/engineers can see the speed test results.  

Here are my results for a 12 Hour test to start off with, I can do a week but they wont be any better. https://testmy.net/auto?extraID=A&schType=&st=1&r_time=1&xtimes=12&minDFS=&minUFS=

GabeU

@jjblugrassy

That link is actually to a test, itself, as in clicking on it takes one to a page that will start a test for them.  

To post your test results link, while signed in to your testmy.net account click on Resutls on the upper right.  Then, while on your Results page, copy the URL in the address box and paste it in here.  

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Sorry Here we go. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Jeff%20Johnson this is longer period test. It looks to be all over the place???

That is really, really low for this time of day:

1. Was anything else using the internet or active during the test?

2. Are you in FAP?

3. Go to http://192.168.0.1/index.html#!/home/status#%2F. What does it say there for the IPGW code (e.g., 'J2SDO068HNSIGW0103') and signal strength.
4. Go to http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/diagnostics/curr_hour_history. Does it show any red x's?

5. Go to http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor. Does it show any current error codes?

If you take screen shots of these, please remember to edit out the SAN (starts with DSS+7 digits) before uploading here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

MarkJFine,

1. No, only my Laptop that was recording the test, and it was wired directly to the box via an ethernet cable.

2. I dont understand FAP ??

FAP is Fair Access Policy. That's when you've used all of your data plan and your speed gets throttled down to under 3Mbps. Looks like you either were in FAP during the past hour or the system thinks you are. Not sure why Current isn't x'd off though.

That last image may need to be refreshed. It's not showing the data filled in. That used to happen with an older version of Firefox but I think the latest version fixed it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Is this what you need?6.PNG

24.1.1 indicates you're throttled below 3Mbps in FAP since 2pm GMT (9am ET) today.

That 1.2.1 is a little troubling too. That indicates your modem may be overheating. Is there enough clearance around the sides, back, and top of the modem? Was anything covering the vents yesterday morning?

No the modem is out in the open so to speak by a window. Our house temp stays at 70. I have been watching a lot of Netflix lately, but not while the test was performing. would you suggest upgrading my data?

I'm really not in a position to recommend you upgrade your data or not, that's really up to you.

If it were me, I'd find a way to manage what I had and then only upgrade if it were necessary. Just know that streaming will eat a lot of data, so it's best to try to keep resolutions down to like 360p or so.

GabeU

@jjblugrassy

Regarding the heat issue, is it possibly dusty where the modem is?  If so, might you have some keyboard duster or a vacuum that has the ability to discharge so you could blow out the modem through the ventilation holes?  Be careful, though, of course, if you use a vacuum, as that's a lot of force.  

It's doubtful that's the problem, as it would need to be a noticeably dusty area for it to be affected in seven months, but you never know.   

'by a window' - doubt the sun was beating down on it at no later than 6 in the morning... certainly a puzzle.