cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any DNS Server problems on Gen4 Beam 19 (Northern California) this week?

Re: Any DNS Server problems on Gen4 Beam 19 (Northern California) this week?

Hey Amanda

I don’t know I kinda forgot all about it anyway I could care less just passed on some information hoping it would help Alan figure things out.  I am 95% happy with what I get from HughesNet can't give it a 100 due to Bonus time to short.

Gary,

That's fine. We really like to keep track of these things in case someone comes up with the same concern. We'll handle that as it comes through.

95% is understandable - we're going faster than light in what technology does and when it does it, so what we can do is make recommendations for the future. With Hughes implementing a 50GB bonus allowance for all Gen4 customers, I feel we are taking the right steps to keeping up with the demand of the world, but there is always room to do more.

Thanks
Amanda

I'm having these problems with all websites,the message "unable to connect"
I'm on beam 19 also ,zip 95249. Alan knows me well.
I have had problems for over 2 weeks now.It seems to have arisen after the new firmware update.One router gave up the ghost, the other loses connections almost always in the mornings.
I use Linux, and have the HT1100 modem  the usual windows suggestions are moot for me.
I had great service after my old router firmware update,8+ months now since the roll-out of the modem update-problems.
Liz suggested that Amarillo had had heavy weather, news to me,I'll add there to Gaithersburg, Md and Las Vegas, Nv to the list to check for heavy weather.I don't believe the weather is a problem for us- the historic drought in Ca.
Honorary Alumnus

Amanda was referring to the weather at the location of your gateway facility.

Hey!

If you are using Ubuntu or Mint or any Ubuntu based Distro go to your Menu then System Settings and click on the Networking Icon then click on the Preferences tool.   Be sure the IPv4 is set to automatic DHCP and the IPv6 to automatic.  The WIFI or Ethernet can be checked from there as well. I had a similar problem it was the IP settings somehow got messed up.
Advanced Tutor

Well, we may be past the point where we can identify what actually happened but it did seem like a wave of intermittent outages related to some kind of DNS problem. I had four customers I was monitoring, and also noticed it on our shop system. Reports, though, have died down and I have been too busy to sit and document our shop system over the time it takes to pin this down.

Basically, I was having customers reboot their router and/or modem to restore service. Also had a couple of them set static DNS in their computers to rule that out, and I replaced routers on two more.

But really, nothing I suggested seemed to fully fix the problem. Sometimes a modem reboot fixed it, sometimes a router reboot fixed it. Sometimes rebooting both fixed it. Connectivity would be restored but only temporarily. 

On one system, three days ago on May 20, we replaced the outdoor radio. 5 minutes after the tech left at about 4 PM PST, that customer's modem threw up a state code of 12.7.2. A modem reboot seemed to fix it.

I haven't had any more reports since then from any of my customers.

One takeaway is that I won't recommend or install Netgear routers. They seemed to have more problems with this issue whatever it was, although my Linksys 1200s were also experiencing problems.

It would be nice to know what the engineering post mortem was from Liz's post a week ago in Alex's thread, https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/modem-reboot-restored-service?topic-reply-list[se...,
We just received notice that some other subscribers in your beam [19] are experiencing intermittent connectivity as well, so fortunately, our engineers are already working to address this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience; I'll keep you posted on their progress.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

Alex, can you get into the Advanced Menu under Diagnostics and copy out the last 8 State Codes displayed there?
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

Mint 17.1 I posted this on my thread . I don't see any IPv settings on any of the tabs clicked.
Advanced Tutor

Alan,

Could the problem be with the Gateway. The reason I'm asking is that I have been having some of the same issues from Gateway #3. I'm located in NY. Just a thought.

Hi Alan Smiley Happy