Hughesnet Community

Any Western Oregon folks care to share speed data to help us out?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spydermike
Sophomore

Any Western Oregon folks care to share speed data to help us out?

After typing a long thread post here and then having it wiped due to "authentication failure" I will try again.  My backstory is buried in this thread which was locked by HNS due to the fact they can't provide any solution.  We can't give up:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/slower-than-slow-my-turn/m-p/128305

They suggest our only hope of getting reasonable speeds (95+ of the world is better getting than this who have tested on www.testmy.net, it says) is to "upgrade" to Gen 5.  HNS is unable to provide data to support this from my area and on my beam.  I have been down this road too many times in 17 years and this is my interpretation of their responses on the aforementioned thread and in many PMs.   

We are in western Oregon where only Echostar 17 - Jupiter 1 satellite is the option and beam 10 and 27 are the only available.  Is anyone out there a Gen 5 user in this area that can help by sharing direct experience and test data to support HNS' proposition?  If there are any Gen 5 that were once Gen 4 users that would be be great!

I hope this thread posts!

Thanks,

Mike

19 REPLIES 19
spydermike
Sophomore

Just ran across a thread from 2017 from a person in western Oregon with the same issue - even after "upgrading" to Gen 5.  They had an option and cancelled service.  

Looking for some recent experiences.  

Still here with snail like speeds.  Still with the question of how Gen5 data processing differs from Gen4.  

I am not talking about Jupiter 1 vs. Jupiter 2 satellites...just fundamental Gen4 to Gen5.  What was the change?  Does anyone know?  Hughesnet won't tell me - not even at a cursory level.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That's probably proprietary information. 

spydermike wrote:

I am not talking about Jupiter 1 vs. Jupiter 2 satellites...just fundamental Gen4 to Gen5.  What was the change?  Does anyone know?  Hughesnet won't tell me - not even at a cursory level.

That would be the easy out. So, "try this 'new' thing to see if is better for you" seems to be the answer for them. No evidence that is any different or better. The anecdotal evidence I have gleaned is that for our area it provides the same poor performance.

Did you upgrade from G4 to G5? If so, did you also change from J1 to J2? Curious...

still slooooooow....still looking for answers.

maratsade

"Did you upgrade from G4 to G5? If so, did you also change from J1 to J2?"

I have Gen 5 and I'm on the J2 satellite. 

Is Gen5/J2 not available in your area?

It is not.  I am in the black hole of J2.  It has been suggested by HNS that my only option is to try Gen5 on J1.  I don't see how that would help and I am trying to gather information.

maratsade

Do you know anyone in your area who is on Gen5/J1? 

@spydermike wrote:

It is not.  I am in the black hole of J2.  It has been suggested by HNS that my only option is to try Gen5 on J1.  I don't see how that would help and I am trying to gather information.

I do not...but that is the purpose of this thread.

maratsade

Have you also tried social media? There may be more people on Twitter and Facebook than here. 

@spydermike wrote:

I do not...but that is the purpose of this thread.

I have not.  I do not use social media for anything.  I had hoped that my thread title might catch someone visiting here.

maratsade

Gotcha. I hope other people from Western Oregon will see your post and share speed data. 

I would also be happy if anyone who was Gen4/J1 that changed to Gen5/J1 would post their experience.  Might have to start a new thread for that.

I have an off-grid cabin in southwest WA on gen5 about 35 miles east of the OR border on the I5 corridor.  I don't remember which beam off the top of my head, and I'm not there at the moment to check.  My speeds typically max out at 1-2 mbps for web browsing or file downloading and quite a bit less if I do something that's deprioritized like streaming or hit the app store. If I force it to the lowest resolution, I have occasionally been able to get YoutubeTV to play with a tolerable amount of pauses, but not consistently.  I've worked from "home" there several days this year, and zoom calls are manageble.  I dial in via HughesNet phone for audio and avoid video and screen shares as much as possible.  When I have to use video or share, it's choppy but manageable.

When I'm not in FAP, all speed tests using any test suite, except netflix/fast.com which would likely register as streaming and be deprioritized, show great speed, nearly always between 20 - 45mbps.  Given those speed test results, I'm assuming I'm not having any equipment or localized issues and my speeds are mostly the result of congestion.  I'm not sure if I'm close enough to you to make any sort of judgement about if you would be on the same beam as me so none of this may be useful for you at all.  Also, I was never on Gen4, so I can't provide any comparison and I started with Hughes in March so the pandemic was already having an impact, so I don't know if this was typical speeds for my location prior to that.  

Thank you for your reply Mike.  I suspect you are outside of this black zone of doom (the white circles approximates J1 sat  beams and the blue represents J2:

If you feel like it, next time you are at the cabin, please post your beam and satellite.  

So, you test 20-45Mbps but actually only see 1-2Mbps in real use.  Hmmm

Yeah, I'm a little NE of that, up around the Swift Reservoir in WA, so probably not a good proxy for you to compare against, but next time I'm out there I will DM you the details.

Since the testmy speed tests are used to get support, it's understandable that traffic for that be prioritized to get the max speed for your setup, otherwise it gets hard to discern an actual issue from the congestion.  That would explain why that particular speed test shows much faster results on a congested beam than real use.

I see your location and agree that you are most likely outside of the area I am in.  I think it is very interesting data none the less.  I appreciate your help here and would like to know your sat and beam.

Another Mike

fresh squeeze...still looking for data...

look, I got a byte!