Hughesnet Community

Anyone else not able to access email? Ive been unable for a week...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DisgruntledUser
Freshman

Anyone else not able to access email? Ive been unable for a week...

I have never, ever, dealt with a company so incompetent that cannot fix their own problems they create. My email/main login was working fine last friday (9/27)morning, but havent been able to access it since, system claims password is incorrect. I called hughesnet Monday 9/30 (didnt attempt over the weekend to avoid being connected to an overseas call center) to report the outage. I called 9/30, HN(Frank) asked for 48 hours, not working after 48 hours, called 10/2, HN(Richard) asked for 48 hours, claiming engineering is having "issues". He assured me it would be fixed within the 48. Still no go this morning 10/4, called HN(Tony G.) and he said give engineering 2 hours. Nothing. Called back after 3 hours (This time "Wade W") and he is saying that Hughesnet is having trouble with email for many people, a glitch in the system, and reassured me engineers are working on the problem and my case has been escalated. O yeah, wait 48 hours!

BTW, this seems to be a separate issue from what others are having (404 errors, etc) I cannot access only the main email address I had back prior to Gen 4, I assume it was a Gen 3 system. It was attached to the old SAN DSS# (which I still get billed under) and all other email addresses are on new SAN. I cannot access the particular email, nor retrieve password, as HN states password retrieval questions have not been set up. Like I said, I have used the same login and password for years now and it just quit sometime after I logged in last Friday. Other logins on my account, such as the spouse and kids, working fine.

In this day and time of electronic billing, autodrafts, estatements, electronic reservations, whatever, most of us rely on email to access our financial information,etc. And it seems HughesNet is NOT up to the task of providing timely resolutions to problems with their system. I mean A WEEK without email? Totally Totally ridiculous. I have been polite as possible to these phone agents, but I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs, or better yet, switching to the (only other) provider of satellite internet.

27 REPLIES 27
Liz

Hi Anthony,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting, I appreciate you reporting that the e-mail service is still not working for you. I'll let our folks know. Once I have any news to share regarding that, I'll post back.

About the e-mail migration from your old SAN to your current, I'm checking in our e-mail system and that part appears to have been completed. Regarding resetting the login so you can access it, let me escalate this to our admins. I typically would be able to do this, but for some reason that particular e-mail not currently showing up for me to manage. Since everyone else has gone for the day, we won't have movement on this until next week. I'll keep you posted on this too.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Everyone I have dealt with at HN has been real friendly, I'll give you that. As far as resolving problems, not so much. If the email has been transferred to the new SAN, it seems that you should be able to see it. I would not call that "complete". Sorry I'm getting a bit shorter tempered, but this has rocked on long enough, now you're telling me next week, the last person I spoke with gave me the usual 48 hours. Ho-hum. Meanwhile, I have been migrating many profiles to use a yahoo email account. This is totally ridiculous.

The Old SAN is a remnant of the old system I had upgraded to Gen 4 a few years back. I do recall issues getting this email address working after the Gen 4 upgrade, playing phone tag for several days and arguing my case that I shouldn't have to get a new email address every time I upgrade (which is what I have been told by several of your reps in the past, and why IM STILL USING GEN 4 and not UPGRADED TO GEN 5... TO AVOID THIS NONSENSE)

The last rep I talked to around 415 PM today assured me engineers were working on it and would get it resolved. If everyone has "went home" I guess nobody is working on it. The rep I talked to Monday told me first my account was "inactive" I said for how long? He said 3 years. I told him that I just checked my email last Friday and Im still billed (autodraft) on the OLD SAN!!! Oh, let me put you on hold and check on that. Sure. I can wait.

What a friggin mess Hughesnet is. 

Having similar problems was told on Monday 3-5 day to fix. Still nothing as of today. Here is a link to what ive been told and my responses. https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Email-still-down/m-p/115205

JIM>>>You are both referring to the 403 ERROR many are getting. I think the reps are confused and bunching me in with your issues. I am not getting a 403 Error. I cannot log in on main account (INCORRECT PASSWORD), other email addresses I have in plan post- Gen 4 working fine.  If you have already complained elsewhere, I see no point mentioning a different problem on this post. I did ask if anyone had email issue, but yours is different issue than mine, and I apologize for being a bit brash, but in 2019 we shouldnt have these issues.

No one is willing to tell the reps anything which is a major part of the problem. However, I was told that other users were not being able to log in because of the engineering issue. Since the engineers have gone home for the weekend I guess it doesnt make much difference any way. Under the "My Account" tab my information is missing which a rep said was part of the upgrading issue. Getting a true answer from these people is impossible however.

Jim, I think theyre probably just being nice as possible trying to buy themselves time, as they obviously dont know how to fix their problems.

Rep I spoke with Monday told me he was giving me an additional 2GB of data for my trouble. Guess what? No data. Yes they do lie, or are just generally dazed and confused.

As a side note, I recall after the Equifax breach, having a darkweb scan or such on my accounts, and the only one that was listed as suspect for possible security breach was the hughesnet email account. I don't have an easy password on any accounts, and all are quite different. To list it as suspect, and now Hughes Engineering is having multiple access problems across their system, it comes to mind that a possibility of a security breach may have occurred, system wide. Of course they won't tell us that, just wait 48 hours. Miracles do happen.

Much longer than Monday or Tuesday I will look into filing a complaint with Better Business Bureau and possibly going to Viasat. Life's too busy for this nonsense.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@DisgruntledUser wrote: 

Rep I spoke with Monday told me he was giving me an additional 2GB of data for my trouble. Guess what? No data.  

Have you checked what you have available for data tokens?  This is where they give you data.  They can't add any data to your normal data bank(s).

If you don't see any token data in the Token Bytes Available, either in the HughesNet Usage Meter or the System Control Center, sign into the MyAccount site, click on the Usage header, then click on "Buy Tokens" on the lower right of the page.  In the popup you should see if there are either Prepaid or Free data tokens available.  If there are, and you click "Use", it adds them to your Token Bytes Available data bank.  Token data kicks in when you've exhausted your normal data.

Edit:  When you click "Buy Tokens" it asks you to confirm your purchase.  There is no token purchase at this point, so it's okay to click it.

I have been without email going on two weeks and all I get from HN support is lip service. To top it all off was HN  billed my account full price October 4th  and failed to deliver the product and service they just billed me for! I have been told that the engineers are working on solving the problem but I'm srarting to doubt yhat excuse. Seems like there may be something else going on here.  If anyone from HN is montoring these messages please tell me when I will Have the email service you have billed me for...

maratsade

1. May want to switch your email service to Gmail. 

2. Billing even when there are technical issues is a thing -- it's not just HN;  others do it too, such as other ISPs, utilities,etc.

3. If there's an outage or other technical issues, they may refund your money for lost service, but not until  after the issue has been resolved.  This is also common to other providers. 

rexroden wrote:

I have been without email going on two weeks and all I get from HN support is lip service. To top it all off was HN  billed my account full price October 4th  and failed to deliver the product and service they just billed me for! I have been told that the engineers are working on solving the problem but I'm srarting to doubt yhat excuse. Seems like there may be something else going on here.  If anyone from HN is montoring these messages please tell me when I will Have the email service you have billed me for...

Just talked to "Level 2" 🙂  tech support. Told me 48 hours. Imagine that!

fwiw. my email was back around 5 pm central today after being out since Monday, 9-30-19. 

downloaded 417 emails from Monday through today.

be careful. there was a phishing email in the group from "hughes" stating i needed to update due to the email issues. took me to a page to enter credit card info.

John

@John2 

If you logged in after clicking, recommend you ensure you're logged out, then log back in normally and change your password. It's likely that they've already captured the old one via a keylogger the first time.

Word to the wise: Never click on a link to login to anything from an email. It's also a good practice to 'hover' your cursor over any kind of link in an email to ensure it looks like it's going where you think it's going. Most browsers will display the url for the link in the corner somewhere.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks.

GabeU

@DisgruntledUser wrote: 

The Old SAN is a remnant of the old system I had upgraded to Gen 4 a few years back. I do recall issues getting this email address working after the Gen 4 upgrade, playing phone tag for several days and arguing my case that I shouldn't have to get a new email address every time I upgrade (which is what I have been told by several of your reps in the past, and why IM STILL USING GEN 4 and not UPGRADED TO GEN 5... TO AVOID THIS NONSENSE)  

It's interesting that your SAN had to be changed when you upgraded to Gen4.  I've had the same SAN for many years, possibly since I first got HughesNet in 2004.  I just checked an old bill from 2012, which was a few years before I upgraded to Gen4, and it's the same.  I don't remember when I started using my Hughes email, though I know for sure I was using it when I had Gen4.  It may be that I didn't start using it until this current Community went live in late 2016 or early 2017, though I don't remember for sure.  When I upgraded to Gen5 in late March 2017, however, nothing changed with it.  Same email.

@GabeU wrote:

@DisgruntledUser wrote: 

It's interesting that your SAN had to be changed when you upgraded to Gen4.  I've had the same SAN for many years, possibly since I first got HughesNet in 2004.  I just checked an old bill from 2012, which was a few years before I upgraded to Gen4, and it's the same.  I don't remember when I started using my Hughes email, though I know for sure I was using it when I had Gen4.  It may be that I didn't start using it until this current Community went live in late 2016 or early 2017, though I don't remember for sure.  When I upgraded to Gen5 in late March 2017, however, nothing changed with it.  Same email.

It may have been the way their contract installer did the upgrade, I didnt understand getting a new SAN either. Im still billed for Gen4 on the old Gen3 SAN. It's a mess and it confuses the HN reps more than it does me. I have to explain it to them, **bleep** its their screwup, not mine lol.  Ive been with HN since 2011, for lack of other options.

Good morning Anthony,

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page, I'll send you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Anthony,

Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page, I'll send you a PM to further address your concerns.

NO! NO! NO! OMG I about lost it Liz. I about freaked when I couldnt log in a few minutes ago, then had to do a password reset! the ak.xxxxx account is my only way to access the (gen4) account and this forum. The account I need fixed is a.xxxxx account. a.xxxxx is the original account on the original SAN#. I dont care which SAN you want to attach it to. That is your world. I just need it to work in mine. ak.xxxxx is basically a dummy account that I had to use when HN screwed account up during the Gen4 upgrade. BUT DO NOT DELETE IT OR CHANGE ITS PASSWORD.

Again, I use and all my contacts use the a.xxxxx account. Its the one I need fixed. I keep explaining this and its like everyone doesnt understand. Its been over a week now...

Thanks for the clarifiation Anthony. I did see that account associated to your current SAN on the email side, but for some reason it's not showing up as manageable in the support center. I'll escalate and have our folks see what happened.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

maratsade

@Liz , just FYI, I'm having issues too. When trying to access email I get this message:

This page isn’t working

mail.hughes.net didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

I've been seeing this on several browsers. 

Edit:  @Liz , rebooting the modem fixed the issue. 
rexroden
New Poster

Well, I have been without email  for over two weeks now. I am getting this error message, 

HTTP ERROR 403

Problem accessing /service/extension/saml2acs. Reason:

The account cannot be accessed at this time.

I have talked to the HN reps and all I get from them is lip service. Evidently  the HN engineers are not able to fix their own screw-up and we the folks who pay our bill on time are penallized. Which BTW HN charged my credit card Oct 4th for a service that they have failed to deliver. Almost seems criminal. Time to look seriously at Visitat...