Are you FAP'd when using data tokens?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happytexann
Senior

Are you FAP'd when using data tokens?

Just curious - it's Friday and since around 8AM CST my speeds have been terrible and they are usually fast - I still have 10GB in data tokens remaining. Is there an outage or something causing the slowdown guys and gals?Screenshot 2018-01-22 20.43.35.png

40 REPLIES 40
happytexann
Senior

Well CRUD - I forgot to take the SAN out of the post, my bad, y'all!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's possible there was a problem at the time.  My speeds seem fine, though it's many hours later.  

When you are out of your normal data and token data is being utilized, you shouldn't be in FAP.  

BTW, you really should go back and edit that picture out of that post.  You can just delete the picture and put a word or sympbol or something in its place, as I don't believe you can leave a post blank, though you can try to.  I've never done that, myself, so I don't know if it works.  To edit the post, click on the three dots to the upper right of the post and click on "Edit Message".  Again, though, I can't stress enough the importance of deleting that picture, or at least editing the SAN out of it.  

It's 9:23CST and I don't have enough bandwidth to run a speed test --

GabeU

@happytexann

With the reps being off until Monday, I'd keep trying.  You always have the option of calling tech support at 866-347-3292, though, admittedly, that's sometimes a frustrating endeavor.  

But, in the meantime, check to make sure that your coax connector is snug at the back of the modem (finger tight is enough), and if your modem is plugged into a power strip or surge protector, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet.  I don't know if these things will make any difference, but if there is a problem with any of them they might.  

On the following page, what does your Satellite Receive Signal Strength say in the WAN info box?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status  If it's lower than 70 or so, it could indicate an issue, though signal strengths can vary from beam to beam and one's location within their beam.  

Also, though it may take a while to upload due to your speed issues, please post a picture of the following page, with the SAN edited out, of course.  😛  Sorry, I couldn't help but to tease a little.  I'm just trying to add a small bit of levity to what I'm sure is a very frustrating situation.  The picture of this page will help to show whether there is some type of technical issue.  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor

I won't be back on until later this evening, but someone else may be able to help, as well, including with what the picture of the state code page shows.  

Screenshot 2018-02-17 11.23.44.png

Sorry, couldn't locate the WAN setting percentage but here's the post you said might help someone help me identifiy any problems. Best to you @GabeU

@GabeU - here's an intersting story -- one of my employees lives in the little town about 7 miles south of my house, they are on Gen4 - a very small package and they stream music and watch YouTube constantly (no cable, Dish or DirectTV as they can't afford it) and they NEVER buffer, use up all their data or encounter slow speeds. They don't want to upgrade to Gen5 because there are so many people in/around our rural town that have it and are very unhappy the either bought the service or upgraded from Gen4. So is the difference that Gen4 isn't as populated and that it handles the data differently? Can you downgrade to Gen4? I'm going to include a recent test history (which I haven't been doing as regularly as I once was, because I know it's slow and don't want to eat of the data!) but it's INCREDIBLE the swing in speeds -- and I continue to be less than impressed with evenings and weekends...

We are continuing to stream music via my ADDED DATA on Verizon phones because we can't stay connected (constant buffering) on HN.

Everything you mentioned before has been done - plugged directly into outlet, checked the cables, unplugged and replugged, disconnected everything except the HN cable directly into the computer. Dish doesn't have access to wifi because we changed name and password. No alarm or security systems use wifi -- I wonder when it will improve or in the least become consistent - heck I'd be happy with 12MBPS if it was consistent day, night and weekends!

Screenshot 2018-02-17 14.21.50.png

GabeU

@happytexann

That link to the page with the Wan Info box that contains your signal strength got messed up, so it's defaulting back to the main System Control Center.  Hopefully the following will work the way it should (I'm going to try it as soon as I post this message)...  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

If it doesn't, when on the main System Control Center page, which is at http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage , click on System Status as the top of the page.  That will take you to the page that the link is supposed to take you to.  

With this said, though I'm not a rep, the state codes seen look a bit concerning, with the first four concerning connection issues, and the last concerning possible issues with Web Acceleration.  If something happens just once it can often be chalked up to a system glitch or a short span of bad weather at the gateway, but when you see it happening many times (Transitions), it may indicate a more in depth problem, and you've got a number of them showing, especially with the third and last codes. 

As for Gen4 vs Gen5, to be honest with you, if your employee is happy with what they have, I wouldn't recommend them upgrading to Gen5.  Though the issues some people have been seeing with Gen5 have been slowly improving, I still woudln't recommend upgrading to it at this point.  And, unfortunately, to answer your question, downgrading to Gen4 isn't possible.  There are certain situations where one who has Gen5 can be pointed back to the ES17 satellite if they have been experiencing notable issues, which seems to solve those issues for some, but whether that can be done, or whether it would even be worth doing, I can't say.  Hopefully they'll be able to remedy whatever is going on with your system, either way.  

Posting your speed results certainly helps, as well.  I'll tag the reps so that they will be sure to see this thread and help you get the issues fixed.  I didn't see anything mentioned about them being off for President's Day, so hopefully they'll be back on tomorrow, though it can still take them a day or two to reply.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Edit:  Yep, the link above is working correctly.  🙂  Somehow, on the previous post with the link, a space got inserted at the end of it, and URLs don't like spaces at the end, so it was defaulting to the SCC home page.  

Also, the reps will probably want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so make sure to leave the modem plugged in for them to be able to do so. 

Here's what I got, does it help?

Screenshot 2018-02-19 13.11.48.png

And I never ran out of data tokens before purchase 5GB more data - if I'm throttled, what is the point of buying data tokens? @GabeU

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Have you selected "use" on a token after purchasing so it goes to your Token Bytes Available bucket? It is a two step process, must purchase then use.

Capture.PNG

@BirdDog - please help, here's what my usage meter looks like, but I don't know how to USE the data tokens it says it's already using, HOWEVER, I am still throttled.

Screenshot 2018-02-19 14.21.48.pngScreenshot 2018-02-19 14.22.55.png

I'm with you my freind.  I just bought a token and it does not ask me if I would like to use the data.  I think I was charged and got nothing.  Does not matter.  I am so over HughesNet.  Can't run Netflix without constant buffuring.  Most speed tests show 500 kbps - 1.5 mbps.  Tech support leaves you on hold for 30-40 minutes.  Jumped through all the hoops with no improvement, and now I'm getting charged for a 'purchased token'  I don't receive.  Time to cancel.

GabeU

@happytexann

I don't quite understand what's going on with your tokens.  In your Usage Meter it shows them as available, and being used (5.2GB, then 5.0GB), but on your Usage page from the My Account site it's showing 0 Token Bytes Available.  And it's showing, by the state code on your SCC, in a picture that was taken a minute later than the one of your Usage Meter showing that you have 5.0GB of tokens banked, that you're being throttled.  I really don't get it.  You should NOT be throttled when you have token data available and banked, and being used, yet you are.   

The signal strength I was wondering about definitely does appear low, and maybe considerably lower than it should be.  I don't really know what your signal strength should be, as it varies from beam to beam, and where someone is located in their particular beam.  

This is beyond anything that I can help with, and the reps should really take a look at what's going on here, not only with the state code issues and signal strength, but with your token data issue, as well.  I'll tag them again, and hopefully they'll answer and help you soon.  Sorry you're having such an awful time.  😞  

@Liz

@Amanda

@GabeU - don't know why I'm not able to get my tags to stick, they keep going black. I am FAP'd so maybe that's the reason. I posted a long topic about 2 hours ago that as titled "INSANE data drain..." and it's not showing up? Because I'm FAP'd?

I did notice a bit ago that iCloud has used 3.0GB data today - have followed instructions on disconnecting iphone, ipad and MacBook Pro - and can only assume that it's my Mac desktop that's using the iCloud.

@GabeU - I found this in glasswire but I don't know how to fix it - my iphone, ipad, and MacBook Pro are all set to use celluar data for updates, etc. Can you help me figure this out? I don't see an update on my mac desktop  - and I'm having to run glassware on Parallels software which make a VM machine on my Mac until I can get everything and software purchase for Mac software. This was a big data drain and I want to fix it if I can or someone can give me instructions, I've googled everything I know how to try and figure it out...but to no avail.

Screenshot 2018-02-20 15.23.21.png

@GabeU, even FAP'd, I'm running the same speeds as normal. Dismal.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@happytexann wrote:

@GabeU - I found this in glasswire but I don't know how to fix it - my iphone, ipad, and MacBook Pro are all set to use celluar data for updates, etc. Can you help me figure this out? I don't see an update on my mac desktop  - and I'm having to run glassware on Parallels software which make a VM machine on my Mac until I can get everything and software purchase for Mac software. This was a big data drain and I want to fix it if I can or someone can give me instructions, I've googled everything I know how to try and figure it out...but to no avail.

Screenshot 2018-02-20 15.23.21.png

Here is how to disable iCloud. Be sure to read entire article and beware if you decide to transfer files that have already been uploaded to iCloud to your local computer then you are going to eat a bunch of data downloading them. Basically paying twice for them data wise, once when they uploaded then again if you decide to download them.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/07/06/disable-icloud-desktop-documents-mac/

GabeU

@happytexann wrote:

@GabeU - don't know why I'm not able to get my tags to stick, they keep going black. I am FAP'd so maybe that's the reason. I posted a long topic about 2 hours ago that as titled "INSANE data drain..." and it's not showing up? Because I'm FAP'd?

I did notice a bit ago that iCloud has used 3.0GB data today - have followed instructions on disconnecting iphone, ipad and MacBook Pro - and can only assume that it's my Mac desktop that's using the iCloud. 

@When tagging someone who hasn't already posted in the thread, you have to wait for their name to pop up in the box so you can click on it to select it.  Typing the @ symbol brings up the box, then typing the letters in their name should bring it up, though you kind of have to do it a certain way.  What I usually do is type out each letter slowly, like adding a letter after a second or two, and if by the time I get to the end of the person's name it still hasn't shown up in the list of tags to choose from, I slowly start deleting the letters, again using a second or two for each.  Deleting them will often cause the system to list the name.  With Liz, I usually end up getting to the end of her name, and then deleting the z often causes it to appear, which I can then click on to select it.  

Also, just for reference, the tags on the right hand side are search tags, in that they are used when someone is searching the forum for something.  They don't actually tag the person, in that they won't get a notification that they've been tagged.  Only when they've been tagged in the message body do they get a notification.  

As for the issue with iCloud.  WOW.  That's a LOT of data.  I've disabled OneDrive, which is the Windows equivalent of iCloud, as I save anything important locally, though I don't have much to save.  😛  I hope BirdDog's instructions and the link he provided help, as I don't know the first thing about iCloud, nor how someone would adjust any settings to stop it from doing what it's doing.  

And I was further thinking about that token thing today, and why you'd still be in FAP, and I'm still scratching my head.  I still can't make any sense of it, but I'm sure the reps will be able to figure out what's going on.  

Good morning @GabeU@Liz has not gotten back to me in a bit - haven't had technical support call me either. I will work on the iCloud fix. It's very frustrating that HN advertising continues to tout their 'whole house' connectivity when in TRUTH, you have to turn everything off, disconnect everything, and nothing but a couple of desktops will run on my 30GB service. Our former service, which I now REGRET leaving, Wi-Power, offered 5-7GBS up and 1-2GBPS down, NO DATA CAPS, NO THROTTLING, (WORDS not in my vocaulary until HN) our only problem was that it was buffering at night in the last 6 months. NEVER ONCE had a problem with any device as it usually hung around the 3GB range. HN is awful, just awful and truly feel they should have to modify their advertising because I think it's misleading at best.

BUT, I appreciate you and all the kind tech volunteers who endeavor to assist all of us. Thank. you!

@Liz - will you PLEASE PLEASE go back and read through this post and see if you can help me with speed, being FAP'd while using 5.2GB of data tokens that disappeard and PLEASE get an engineer to contact me after 4PM CST regarding my service?