cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Association, Acceleration, and Uplink, oh my!

Association, Acceleration, and Uplink, oh my!

Since last night (Jan. 25), my system has been going back and forth between unable to associate with anything, TCP and/or Web Accelerations going down, and it seems that whenever I somehow do manage to have internet access, my uplink is down so I can't load any websites anyway. Rebooting both modem and computer doesn't really help (sometimes I've had what I thought was an internet issue that resolved when a computer restart, so yes, I thought I'd try that too). This keeps coming back. I've never really dealt with this kind of repetitive downage before. Maybe it could somehow be a side effect of last night's heavy snow, I don't know. I've scoured the forums from my phone and found similar issues that HughesNet managed to solve, I believe on their end of things, though none of them recent. I'm not positive if the account is under Carolyn Edwards or Charles Edwards), however my ESN is 10170049. It's been working for the past half hour or so, I would estimate, which is the best I've had all day, so fingers crossed. In fact it's kind of a miracle it just let me post this topic. Regardless of the current success, please, if someone could look into what's up with my service, it would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
Employee

Re: Association, Acceleration, and Uplink, oh my!

Carolyn,

I'm looking into your issue at this time.  I may need to reboot your terminal for debugging.  Is it OK that I do this now or could you tell me a better time?  

Your currently in a "Download Throttled State"

Respectfully,
Chad

Chad, sorry for this late reply. Yes, do whatever you need to do. It worked fine last night after I posted (of course), but now it's doing the same thing again. And yes, my family went over our allowance about a week ago or so.

This is still happening. Internet has not been used all day; I know this for fact. I came home from work and used it successfully once, checking family email, then uplink decided to have a problem once again. Having had surprising success in the evenings, I decided to risk a reboot and it has not been able to associate since. This has been about 20 minutes. I have rebooted three times hoping for something different out of the blue. I would very much like to stop having to use my cellular data to post here.

EDIT 9:20: Well, now it's associated, but uplink is down and I still can't access anything.

EDIT 9:27: Rebooted, figured why the heck not since the worst it can do is continue to not work. No association, no TCP acceleration, still no service.

Also, maybe I should have noted this before: after every reboot it brings me back up as green 0.0.0 in the scp when no, should be download throttled. Sometimes it eventually seems to realize this and changes(it went to throttled as I typed that portion), sometimes it just goes red over associating. Or whatever it's fussing about.
Employee

Carolyn,

I have looked at your system and I have cleared all your stats (so I could have a fresh look.)  Can you confirm (only if it is safe for you to do so) that your antenna is free of snow around the dish as well as the ODU?  Right now it appears to be working fine.  I will continue to monitor.

Respectfully,
Chad

Hello again Chad! Unfortunately I can't check that now. Sorry if this is obvious and just going over my head at the moment, but what do you mean by ODU? I was able to load Google just now, yay!

EDIT 10:01: This is from my computer, yay again!
Highlighted
Employee

I just want to make sure there is not snow or ice on any part of your antenna.  Again please do not get on your roof to check (not sure how it was/is installed.)

ODU - Outdoor unit

Chad

Ah, okay. Well, it's still working almost an hour later. If it acts up again tomorrow morning/afternoon (hopefully not), I'll work on getting that looked at. All of the outdoor equipment is on a roof.

If there is snow or ice build-up when I get to look at it, do you want me to remove it?
Assistant Professor

Carolyn, it is why they shy away from roof installs in snowy areas. Do not climb on roof. Many people get long poles with a brush on the end to reach the dish and clear snow.

Oh yeah, no, even in good weather I don't go on the roof. I go as far as standing on a ladder can safely take me and that's it. That's a good idea though. I'm sure there's a couple of things around here someplace that can be hodgepodged into something like that and do the job.