cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto change of wifi-password

Highlighted
New Poster

Auto change of wifi-password

Due to the abuse of wifi benefits there are 2 co-workers that are abusing their privilege thereby using too much data.

Can the wifi password automatically change daily or weekly?

And if the password is changed, I'm assuming that I would have to go through and update EVERYTHING that is using the password correct?

Thank you all.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Auto change of wifi-password

n/a

Hi cparnell1,

I see it's your first post. Welcome to the Community! We're always ready to help. To answer your question, unfortunately, we do not have a way to automatically change your Wi-Fi password. I'll pass that along though, we always appreciate feedback and ideas! 

Upon changing the Wi-Fi password, yes, you will need to enter the new password on every device that was previously connected to that network.

Thanks!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

If there's a problem with people abusing your wifi, it might be easier to find the abuser's MAC address and block them.

If there are only a few devices that are using the wifi, an easier thing is to set up a list that are allowed to use the wifi, instead. This way the abusers just can't use a different device to get in - the MAC address would have to be manually added.

Log in to the wifi options, and have a look at Advanced Setup -> WIRELESS -> MAC Filtering Table. Recommend that whatever you do, use a computer with a LAN cable to set it up. Setting it up incorrectly via wifi may cause a chicken-egg situation where you end up locking yourself out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.