cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

Advanced Tutor

Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

To HughesNet Staff:

Please pass this along to engineering/customer support.

It seems like almost every week I get a call from a customer who has run out of data but thinks instead something is wrong with their HughesNet service. Running out of data is not all that apparent, just that the system slows to a crawl and many customers don't realize why.

It would be great if customers could receive automatic Email and/or SMS text notifications whenever their data allowance drops below a certain level, either user defined, or a series of set amounts like 80%, 90% and 100%.

The Email or text message could also contain information and links to enable purchase and application of data tokens to restore service. 

My bank has this feature now so I can monitor my bank balance, and it's fully user-customizable. Seems this would be a very customer-friendly feature, reduce confusion and technical support calls, and improve customer satisfaction.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
21 REPLIES 21
Assistant Professor

Re: Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

A great idea Alan but why do I have the feeling they won't want to spend the money on it. Would take some hardware and the software which would have to be written for HughesNet's unique system. Then input and keep track of accounts and status. I have my doubts especially when they can't or won't text customers if there is an outage.

Re: Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

Good idea Alan that would be a worth wile tool and easy to set up.  It could be set up at the server to send out a automatic email just like billing or other correspondence. 
Advanced Tutor

Since HN sells data tokens, presumably for a profit, and pays for the added burden for Tech Support to deal with these calls, I'm assuming someone there can make a business case that it's in their best, bottom-line interests.
Sophomore

That would be a fine idea, except for all those times when the person wasting the bandwidth on silly YouTube videos or Netflix (and then coming here to complain) isn't even the person whose name&email is on the account.  Thus they wouldn't get the email/SMS.  It would allow the parent to more quickly administer the spankings, however.
Assistant Professor

That is a good point but corporate boards are a bit like Congress when getting things done.
New Poster

what they said
Advanced Tutor

Also, the Download Status Meter could pop up a warning message on the User's Desktop. Easy Peasy.
New Poster

exactly, the status meter has a messaging feature which has NEVER been used

Good morning Alan,

Great idea, thank you for sharing! We'll share this with management and our development teams.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.