cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

Assistant Professor

Re: Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Automatic Email and/or SMS Text Notifications About Remaining Data Allowance

Still in all, when your system isn't running well a users first move should be to check the modems SCC. It's alway there will show data/FAP status at a glance as well as system condition
Assistant Professor

People are used to being spoon fed these days, a fact. Don't ask them to be proactive, it must be pushed to them, in their face.
Advanced Tutor

A pretty high percentage of our customers are not very tech savvy, and immediately forget anything technical we might tell them about the SCC or DSM.

I'm looking for a no-brainer solution.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

They can use a computer but the SCC and DSM are too technical? I have another word or phrase for it other than "not very tech savvy" but will keep it to myself.  Smiley Happy
Advanced Tutor

Not that they can't use them, many just don't remember they're there. 

I mention the SCC and DSM in my order confirmation mails.

Our techs install the DSM and bookmark the SCC in the customer's browser.

Most folks don't remember these things after a few days or weeks, and just wonder why their YouTube cat videos aren't loading.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

Hope I never get that bad at forgetting things. Getting old does suck no matter how much people on TV say it's great.  
Sophomore

Put a URL shortcut on their desktop to the SCC and label it "click here if your cat videos aren't loading".  Pin one to their start menu too if you have to.  It doesn't get much easier than that.

Another idea is to copy that same shortcut to the Start Up folder.  Some folks the first thing they do when stuff isn't working is reboot the machine.  This way the SCC is staring them right in the face each time they reboot.  It would work out very nicely if they're the type that leaves the machine on all the time and only reboots occasionally.

Or if they are truly clueless, you could always install a script which monitors connectivity and automatically launches a browser to the SCC when the network appears to be down.  There are plenty of options here.
Honorary Alumnus

Continue to drink Beer until all those vile impurities are flushed from your system

As one of those less tech savvy (and at 66 learning new tricks is difficult)  I think this is a great idea, even though I DO check my status frequently.  And yes, getting old CAN suck, especially when young people have no idea we grew up when there were still horses on the street and people used out houses, but then we still remember how to sew on buttons and fasten a belt so our pants stay up around our waists.