Hughesnet Community

Average Speed Lower Than My Verizon Phone Hotspot...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scorpiopulse
New Poster

Average Speed Lower Than My Verizon Phone Hotspot...

I've had HughesNet service for less than a month.  I have already had to have a tech back out to replace the radio on the dish due to the refurbished equipment getting recycled.  I am still having intermittent speed issues, and my average speed is LESS THAN MY VERIZON HOTSPOT. 

These tests were completed both hardwired with ethernet directly to the modem, and on wifi within a reasonable range.  These are normal conditions, but the service is definitely not satisfactory.  The latency is also a problem, being that it is 1500ms on average.  This makes voice/video chats almost impossible as I have to wait at least 3 seconds to hear and be heard.

I got this service because I work online, and I need to be able to do voice and video calls as my job requires.  My bosses are not happy with me at this point, and none of us are happy with the service I am receiving.  

scorpiopulse_0-1647884131193.png

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Three things:

1. Terrestrial internet, such as Verizon or others, and satellite internet are two different beasts. Satellite internet is highly influenced by many factors, including latency and congestion, so the signal isn't as stable as terrestrial internet. So it makes sense that your Verizon signal works better. 

2. Please provide the URL to your My Results page from Testmy.  Images are not accepted for troubleshooting here. Make sure you're following the required testing protocol.

3. Also make sure you're  not being throttled due to lack of data. That'll make your speeds tank. 

How would I be being throttled during my initial month?  Isn't there a bit of a grace period for new accounts?  I noticed that my data was being reset constantly, and I am nowhere near the throttle point.

scorpiopulse_0-1647887603579.png

My signal strength has been within reasonable levels the entire time as well.  This seems to be an issue related to the equipment or the service itself.

scorpiopulse_1-1647887664970.png

"Satellite internet is highly influenced by many factors, including latency and congestion, so the signal isn't as stable as terrestrial internet. So it makes sense that your Verizon signal works better. "
Thanks for that confirmation, this is clearly the case here.  Why should I continue to receive and pay for worse service than I can get elsewhere?  It seems as if you are in agreement that I should just cancel the inferior service.  I appreciate your honesty.

maratsade

OK, so no throttling going on, check.  Whenever you can, please post the URL from Testmy.  It's likely the issue is with congestion and latency, though, but the reps will need to see the test results from the My Results URL. 

Cancelling the service is up to you; but keep in mind there is a $400 penalty for doing so.  The reps are happy to work with subscribers regarding the cancellation fee, but you need to do the required testing and troubleshooting first. 

@scorpiopulse wrote:

How would I be being throttled during my initial month?  Isn't there a bit of a grace period for new accounts?  I noticed that my data was being reset constantly, and I am nowhere near the throttle point.

scorpiopulse_0-1647887603579.png

My signal strength has been within reasonable levels the entire time as well.  This seems to be an issue related to the equipment or the service itself.

scorpiopulse_1-1647887664970.png

"Satellite internet is highly influenced by many factors, including latency and congestion, so the signal isn't as stable as terrestrial internet. So it makes sense that your Verizon signal works better. "
Thanks for that confirmation, this is clearly the case here.  Why should I continue to receive and pay for worse service than I can get elsewhere?  It seems as if you are in agreement that I should just cancel the inferior service.  I appreciate your honesty.

@maratsade wrote:

OK, so no throttling going on, check.  Whenever you can, please post the URL from Testmy.  It's likely the issue is with congestion and latency, though, but the reps will need to see the test results from the My Results URL. 

Cancelling the service is up to you; but keep in mind there is a $400 penalty for doing so.  The reps are happy to work with subscribers regarding the cancellation fee, but you need to do the required testing and troubleshooting first. 

Since it has been less than 30 days, I am definitely anticipating canceling the service before the end of the billing month.  Most businesses do allow a 30 day return period with full refund, and despite contractual obligations, I will be seeking a full refund and will NOT be satisfied paying any sort of termination fee within the first 30 days.  I am not going to continue to pay for or cater to a service at this level of discrepancy between what is advertised and what is being received, especially after the support I am receiving acknowledges the inferiority of the service in response to a technical issue.  Again, I appreciate that level of honesty, as it coincides with my experience with the service in the first month.

maratsade

Hopefully a rep will reply to you soon. 

scorpiopulse,

Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Community! We'd be happy to help, but I was unable to find the account attached to your Community profile. Please send a PM to this link with your account number or a phone number attached to your account!

Thanks,

Remy

Would you then be able to cancel my service, refund every penny I have paid thus far, and assure that there would be no termination fee as if I'm being punished for the lackluster quality of the service, equipment, and "tech support" which essentially validates what I have said, saying:

scorpiopulse_0-1647896676579.png

and:

scorpiopulse_1-1647896784086.png

while simultaneously threatening me with early termination fees...

scorpiopulse_2-1647896927962.png

and demanding that I need to type a url that you guys could construct from the info given already?

If that is the case, I would be happy to give you my account info to be refunded without the additional highway robbery and unprofessional "support."

scorpiopulse,

I would need to take a look into your account to make sure the equipment is working properly, as your speeds are lower than they should be with high-speed data still remaining on the account. We will be able to discuss waiving the ETF after looking over the equipment. Please provide your account information at the link I provided so we can proceed.

Thanks,

Remy

GabeU

@GabeU wrote:

Results URL...

https://testmy.net/quickstats/scorpiopulse

Be sure to show @maratsade how you divined that.

maratsade

LOL! Bless your heart. 

@scorpiopulse wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Results URL...

@maratsade wrote:

LOL! Bless your heart. 

@scorpiopulse wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Results URL...

Here's a URL for you.   https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/bless-your-heart

WHY ‘BLESS YOUR HEART’ IS THE MOST SAVAGE INSULT IN THE COUNTRY

So, not only is your tech support lazy and unprofessional, you resort to insulting customers.  Good thing my name isn't Karen, or I might be demanding your termination at this point along with the pitiful service.  😠

maratsade

Employees have the word "Moderator" next to their name. 

*I am not a HughesNet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

So they're not even paying you for this?

scorpiopulse_0-1647960086821.png

That's a lot of posts for someone who is not a "representative."  And you're a customer, too?

No wonder you're a little disgruntled.  Bless YOUR heart.

GabeU

@scorpiopulse wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Results URL...

1.  There's no call to insult a fellow subscriber who's going out of his way in an attempt to help you get the help you need.

2.  maratsade already well knows how to find it, but it's not his job to do so.  It's yours.

3.  Like maratsade, I chose to help a fellow subscriber to better get the help they need.

Have a lovely day.

@GabeU wrote:

@scorpiopulse wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Results URL...

1.  There's no call to insult a fellow subscriber who's going out of his way in an attempt to help you get the help you need.

2.  maratsade already well knows how to find it, but it's not his job to do so.  It's yours.

3.  Like maratsade, I chose to help a fellow subscriber to better get the help they need.

Have a lovely day.

1.  I didn't insult anyone.  He didn't go out of his way or he wouldn't have demanded I post the link when:

2.  If he knows how to find it, he could very well go that extra step himself.  I don't have a job with HughesNet, I have a paid for underwhelming equipment and service.  There is a difference.  I came here to post a tech issue for support, and I'm met with "So it makes sense that your Verizon signal works better."  and other useless copy/paste "support" and ETF threats rather than any kind of empathy or effort.

3.  You were also a bit late, as I had already communicated with "The Rep" in DM.  If you're both subscribers, the URL isn't going to do you any good anyway.  

scorpiopulse_1-1647994912075.png

As a matter of fact, watching you guys "Kudo" each other reminds me of a South Park episode...

scorpiopulse_2-1647995041146.jpeg

Have whatever kind of day my fellow defrauded subscribers who populate this forum allow you to have.

maratsade

"f he knows how to find it, he could very well go that extra step himself.  I don't have a job with HughesNet"

Not my job. I'm not a HN employee.  It's your job to post the link.

GabeU

@scorpiopulse 

I didn't provide the link to your speed tests for you, but rather so Remy can view the results.  As you'll note in maratsade's very first reply to you, it was asked for, just as it is in the speed testing instructions linked to.  For some strange reason known only to you, you refused to give it, so I did.  A simple 'thank you', or even no reply at all, would have sufficed.

I'm glad we entertain you.

And with that, I'm out of this unnecessary waste of my time.

scorpiopulse
New Poster

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for any sort of attempt at resolution.  The clock is ticking.

scorpiopulse_0-1647996286611.png

maratsade

LOL. BYH.