Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kvanlierop
Freshman

Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

I'm having bad issues with connection speed in the evening hours.  I understand that it's peak time but my connection runs great during the daytime and then is completely unusable during evening hours when I'm actually home and needing to use it.

Ran a bunch of TMN tests to validate.  Speed drops way off between 6-11pm, with some tests returning around 1mbps.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/keithvanlierop

keithvanlierop's Speed Test Results

Any way to get on a less congested beam or something? This is awful.

Also, even during the times of day that TMN is returning 25+ mbps, I can't get any videos working.  Not Netflix, not even YouTube with resolution turned way down.  Loads a bit, buffers a ton, loads a bit more. 25-35 mbps should be more than enough to stream a 360p YouTube video on an iPhone.

KV

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You probably have congestion (high traffic during certain times), or in the case of streaming, issues with the sites themselves (sometimes they don't like latency, sometimes they just act up), issues with sites located between your site (network) and the destination site, and more.  @MarkJFine can probably explain the issue much better. 

Your speeds actually look good, so it's likely not HN that's causing this. 

kvanlierop wrote:

I'm having bad issues with connection speed in the evening hours.  I understand that it's peak time but my connection runs great during the daytime and then is completely unusable during evening hours when I'm actually home and needing to use it.

Ran a bunch of TMN tests to validate.  Speed drops way off between 6-11pm, with some tests returning around 1mbps.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/keithvanlierop

keithvanlierop's Speed Test Results

Any way to get on a less congested beam or something? This is awful.

Also, even during the times of day that TMN is returning 25+ mbps, I can't get any videos working.  Not Netflix, not even YouTube with resolution turned way down.  Loads a bit, buffers a ton, loads a bit more. 25-35 mbps should be more than enough to stream a 360p YouTube video on an iPhone.

KV

I'm with you, I think the installation is completely fine because during off-peak hours it will pull down a great test. I'm more looking for a solution to the congestion issue.

As per the congestion, I'm the only one using the connection, so it isn't as if I've got several devices on the network competing for bandwidth.  So it's not on my end.

I'll gladly pull several TMN tests this evening randomly during peak hours only to show how poor the service gets.

KV

maratsade

The congestion is not you, it's everyone using the bandwidth on your beam.  Can't really fix that, as satellite bandwidth is limited.  Service will degrade with more traffic on your beam.

kvanlierop wrote:

I'm with you, I think the installation is completely fine because during off-peak hours it will pull down a great test. I'm more looking for a solution to the congestion issue.

As per the congestion, I'm the only one using the connection, so it isn't as if I've got several devices on the network competing for bandwidth.  So it's not on my end.

I'll gladly pull several TMN tests this evening randomly during peak hours only to show how poor the service gets.

KV

MarkJFine
Professor

Speeds greater than 1Mbps are usually enough to get SD video. As @maratsade said, it's usually latency that affects streaming video depending upon how their handshaking scheme works.

Buffering doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough video segments in the correct order to play contiguously. Sometimes the application or the server hasn't properly sent or acknowledged what it has is valid and that if it should continue. Nine times out of ten that's what's going on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Any solution to this? With latency tests returning 1800-2500 ms during most hours of the day, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done on my end to improve the latency situation.

Also, is 2000ms a normal and acceptable HN latency result?

maratsade

How/where are you running these latency tests?

kvanlierop wrote:

Any solution to this? With latency tests returning 1800-2500 ms during most hours of the day, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done on my end to improve the latency situation.

Also, is 2000ms a normal and acceptable HN latency result?

Testing latency on TMN, as the only device plugged into the HN modem and with both WiFi radios turned off.

For instance, I just ran a download/upload and returned 30.51Mbps Down and 2.54Mbps up.  That's quite a good result and I'm happy with that.

Same server (Dallas) latency test returns a 2208.5 ms with 30% (671.6 ms) deviation.  Latency is all over the place.

maratsade

The latency tests on TMN are absurdly inaccurate (their latency test is in beta, btw)

Like Mark wrote, there are better ways to test latency (one he mentioned was traceroute), and you should try those. 

kvanlierop wrote:

Testing latency on TMN, as the only device plugged into the HN modem and with both WiFi radios turned off.

For instance, I just ran a download/upload and returned 30.51Mbps Down and 2.54Mbps up.  That's quite a good result and I'm happy with that.

Same server (Dallas) latency test returns a 2208.5 ms with 30% (671.6 ms) deviation.  Latency is all over the place.

If you're seeing those numbers from TestMy, don't believe it.

The only way you should be testing it is through pings or a traceroute to the server you're trying to stream from.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

gfh.jpgPulled a few traceroutes here, I apologize as I'm about at the limit of my 9th grade Networking Fundamentals class here, and it's been quite some years since even that occurred.

Do these results appear normal?swa.jpg

maratsade

The latency looks normal for satellite internet.  

Edit: I don't know what's going on with all the timeouts, though.   This would also be something for the hero of the Internet backbone, @MarkJFine to explain...

I've tried random traceroutes from work, where we have terrestial internet, and I'm getting a lot of timeouts too. 

I can tell he's on J2SDO068 in San Diego - the same as us @maratsade - also going through CenturyLink at 4.14.190.73. The delays and timeouts are coming from them.

maratsade

Ah, that makes sense and explains why I've been seeing timeouts when running traceroutes.  Curse you, CenturyLink! 

@MarkJFine wrote:

I can tell he's on J2SDO068 in San Diego - the same as us @maratsade - also going through CenturyLink at 4.14.190.73. The delays and timeouts are coming from them.

GabeU

Mine is J2ROS051 through Roseburg, OR.  

The first one for me looks horrid, with the rest being timeouts...

Capture.JPG

This one, however, looks great, with the rest being timeouts...

Capture1.JPG

I think that second one is the best tracert I've ever seen out of all I've run.  I NEVER see a solid block like that.  

maratsade

Maybe CL likes you. 😉

@GabeU wrote:

Mine is J2ROS051 through Roseburg, OR.  

The first one for me looks horrid, with the rest being timeouts...

This one, however, looks great, with the rest being timeouts...

I think that second one is the best tracert I've ever seen out of all I've run.  I NEVER see a solid block like that.  

4.16.168.17 is indeed CenturyLink.

I should add that the severity and frequency of their timeouts seems to correlate to botnet activity, and judging from yesterday's logs that it took nearly 3 hours to go over... yesterday was the worst I've seen it in a while.