cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

Freshman

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

gfh.jpgPulled a few traceroutes here, I apologize as I'm about at the limit of my 9th grade Networking Fundamentals class here, and it's been quite some years since even that occurred.

Do these results appear normal?swa.jpg

Professor

The latency looks normal for satellite internet.  

Edit: I don't know what's going on with all the timeouts, though.   This would also be something for the hero of the Internet backbone, @MarkJFine to explain...

I've tried random traceroutes from work, where we have terrestial internet, and I'm getting a lot of timeouts too. 

Assistant Professor

I can tell he's on J2SDO068 in San Diego - the same as us @maratsade - also going through CenturyLink at 4.14.190.73. The delays and timeouts are coming from them.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Ah, that makes sense and explains why I've been seeing timeouts when running traceroutes.  Curse you, CenturyLink! 

@MarkJFine wrote:

I can tell he's on J2SDO068 in San Diego - the same as us @maratsade - also going through CenturyLink at 4.14.190.73. The delays and timeouts are coming from them.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Mine is J2ROS051 through Roseburg, OR.  

The first one for me looks horrid, with the rest being timeouts...

Capture.JPG

This one, however, looks great, with the rest being timeouts...

Capture1.JPG

I think that second one is the best tracert I've ever seen out of all I've run.  I NEVER see a solid block like that.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Maybe CL likes you. Smiley Wink

@GabeU wrote:

Mine is J2ROS051 through Roseburg, OR.  

The first one for me looks horrid, with the rest being timeouts...

This one, however, looks great, with the rest being timeouts...

I think that second one is the best tracert I've ever seen out of all I've run.  I NEVER see a solid block like that.  

Assistant Professor

4.16.168.17 is indeed CenturyLink.

I should add that the severity and frequency of their timeouts seems to correlate to botnet activity, and judging from yesterday's logs that it took nearly 3 hours to go over... yesterday was the worst I've seen it in a while.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.