cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

Freshman

Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

I'm having bad issues with connection speed in the evening hours.  I understand that it's peak time but my connection runs great during the daytime and then is completely unusable during evening hours when I'm actually home and needing to use it.

Ran a bunch of TMN tests to validate.  Speed drops way off between 6-11pm, with some tests returning around 1mbps.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/keithvanlierop

keithvanlierop's Speed Test Results

 

Any way to get on a less congested beam or something? This is awful.

Also, even during the times of day that TMN is returning 25+ mbps, I can't get any videos working.  Not Netflix, not even YouTube with resolution turned way down.  Loads a bit, buffers a ton, loads a bit more. 25-35 mbps should be more than enough to stream a 360p YouTube video on an iPhone.

KV

16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Professor I

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

You probably have congestion (high traffic during certain times), or in the case of streaming, issues with the sites themselves (sometimes they don't like latency, sometimes they just act up), issues with sites located between your site (network) and the destination site, and more.  @MarkJFine can probably explain the issue much better. 

 

Your speeds actually look good, so it's likely not HN that's causing this. 

 

kvanlierop wrote:

I'm having bad issues with connection speed in the evening hours.  I understand that it's peak time but my connection runs great during the daytime and then is completely unusable during evening hours when I'm actually home and needing to use it.

Ran a bunch of TMN tests to validate.  Speed drops way off between 6-11pm, with some tests returning around 1mbps.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/keithvanlierop

keithvanlierop's Speed Test Results

 

Any way to get on a less congested beam or something? This is awful.

Also, even during the times of day that TMN is returning 25+ mbps, I can't get any videos working.  Not Netflix, not even YouTube with resolution turned way down.  Loads a bit, buffers a ton, loads a bit more. 25-35 mbps should be more than enough to stream a 360p YouTube video on an iPhone.

KV


 

Freshman

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

I'm with you, I think the installation is completely fine because during off-peak hours it will pull down a great test. I'm more looking for a solution to the congestion issue.

As per the congestion, I'm the only one using the connection, so it isn't as if I've got several devices on the network competing for bandwidth.  So it's not on my end.

I'll gladly pull several TMN tests this evening randomly during peak hours only to show how poor the service gets.

KV

Assistant Professor

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

Speeds greater than 1Mbps are usually enough to get SD video. As @maratsade said, it's usually latency that affects streaming video depending upon how their handshaking scheme works.

 

Buffering doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough video segments in the correct order to play contiguously. Sometimes the application or the server hasn't properly sent or acknowledged what it has is valid and that if it should continue. Nine times out of ten that's what's going on.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

Any solution to this? With latency tests returning 1800-2500 ms during most hours of the day, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done on my end to improve the latency situation.

 

Also, is 2000ms a normal and acceptable HN latency result?

Distinguished Professor I

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

The congestion is not you, it's everyone using the bandwidth on your beam.  Can't really fix that, as satellite bandwidth is limited.  Service will degrade with more traffic on your beam.

 

kvanlierop wrote:

I'm with you, I think the installation is completely fine because during off-peak hours it will pull down a great test. I'm more looking for a solution to the congestion issue.

As per the congestion, I'm the only one using the connection, so it isn't as if I've got several devices on the network competing for bandwidth.  So it's not on my end.

I'll gladly pull several TMN tests this evening randomly during peak hours only to show how poor the service gets.

KV


 

Distinguished Professor I

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

How/where are you running these latency tests?

 

kvanlierop wrote:

Any solution to this? With latency tests returning 1800-2500 ms during most hours of the day, there doesn't seem to be much that can be done on my end to improve the latency situation.

 

Also, is 2000ms a normal and acceptable HN latency result?


 

Assistant Professor

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

If you're seeing those numbers from TestMy, don't believe it.

The only way you should be testing it is through pings or a traceroute to the server you're trying to stream from.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

Testing latency on TMN, as the only device plugged into the HN modem and with both WiFi radios turned off.

For instance, I just ran a download/upload and returned 30.51Mbps Down and 2.54Mbps up.  That's quite a good result and I'm happy with that.


Same server (Dallas) latency test returns a 2208.5 ms with 30% (671.6 ms) deviation.  Latency is all over the place.

Distinguished Professor I

Re: Awful speeds during certain times of day, won't stream any video

The latency tests on TMN are absurdly inaccurate (their latency test is in beta, btw)

 

Like Mark wrote, there are better ways to test latency (one he mentioned was traceroute), and you should try those. 

 

kvanlierop wrote:

Testing latency on TMN, as the only device plugged into the HN modem and with both WiFi radios turned off.

For instance, I just ran a download/upload and returned 30.51Mbps Down and 2.54Mbps up.  That's quite a good result and I'm happy with that.


Same server (Dallas) latency test returns a 2208.5 ms with 30% (671.6 ms) deviation.  Latency is all over the place.