cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B10005179817AH

Re: B10005179817AH

Hello Tish,
 Thank you for the update! If you were out for a while, I recommend rebooting all your network equipment and devices and starting fresh. I will keep an eye out for your reply so we can stay on top of your situation.

Best regards,
Amanda

Amanda:

I am in the habit of rebooting everything if I have been gone for several days.  I get the system rebooted and up, and then power up the computers to connect to it.  It seems to be the best way to avoid problems if there was a power surge, outage or whatever while I was gone. 

After working on the system for the last few days, it is definitely performing better than when we started this whole process.  In March, I was barely able to get through the speed and web responsiveness tests because there were so many problems with the system.  Obviously, going from a 65 to 16000 kbps download speed is a great improvement.  However, as I mentioned in my last comment, that huge improvement in speed numbers hasn't translated to much improvement in speed in actual web usage.  In other words, even though the numbers look good, when we actually enter a web address, the system is still slow to process that command and actually open the web site.  Sending and receiving e-mail seems to be faster, but not accessing web sites and going from page to page when in a site.

While I was away I used my computer to access the web and it functioned as I would expect.  I entered a web address and got an almost immediate response with the page opening.  When I do that now on my HughesNet service, there is a noticeable delay in getting the response.  For example, I just typed google.com in IE and timed the response.  It took 11 seconds for the Google page to open.  When I then typed HughesNet in the Google search bar, it took 9 seconds for the search listings page to open and load.  When I clicked on the HughesNet.com entry, it took 19 seconds for it to open and load the home page.  When I clicked on the "Learn More" tab on the home page, it took 12 seconds for that page to load.  That still seems quite slow even though technically my test speeds are much improved.  For comparison sake, I did the same thing in Chrome with mixed results.  It took 24 seconds for the search listings to load, 4 seconds for HughesNet.com to load and 6 seconds for the "Learn More" page to open. 

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions concerning this.  Are those response times normal?  Is this as good as it gets or is there still room for improvement?  In the meantime, I will keep using and testing the system and let you know how it goes.

Thank you again for everything you have done so far.  Because of your assistance we are probably 2-to-3 times faster than we were, so we appreciate all of your help!

Regards,

Tish

Hi Tish,

Thank you for the thorough response. I find it odd the loading times between the two browsers, but you are correct that the download speeds and browsing response times are measured differently. As I've looked over your system and monitored the past few days, it seems all is fine with the equipment and signal. These response times you are reporting, however, are very high for Gen4 service.

I also took a peek at your web response results from a couple of days ago, which look very good. There is expected delay when browsing page to pay on satellite internet, simply because of latency, but moving into the high teens and 20's is not ideal on Gen4. The only difference between your browsing when you were traveling and your browsing at home would be a median device like your router (besides having a different ISP). Do you have the ability to direct connect any device to the HughesNet modem? I also wonder if Thomas is experiencing the same response times? There may be room for improvement here, but we'll have to jump a little deeper into your system and setup.

Thank you,
Amanda

Amanda:

Thanks for following up with me.  I have connected directly to the modem in the past, but did not do that for this most recent set of tests.  I haven't spent much time on the system this holiday weekend due to other commitments, but will do a direct connect test when I get the chance.  It didn't make a difference before, but I will try it again.  Unfortunately, I'm headed out today and will be gone for a couple of weeks again.  The good news is when I get back I should be home for an extended period of time so hopefully we can tackle it then.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.  I will be in touch when I return.

Regards,

Tish

Hello Tish,

Sounds like a good idea. We'll be here to hear you out and see what we can do after you return. Have a safe trip!

Thank you,
Amanda