BIST connectivity failed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slym
Sophomore

BIST connectivity failed

New user here - just started with HughesNet last week.  Tonight it seems to be lagging.  The first speed test I did was only 6.14 Mbps download, with ping at 624 ms. 

Looking at the system control center BIST, it shows Cable Connectivity - failed.  What does that indicate?

Thanks,

Sue

25 REPLIES 25
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@slym

I'm not positive of this, but I think "Cable Connectivity - Failed" could indicate an issue with the coaxial cable connection.  I would make sure that it's snug at the back of the modem.  It really only needs to be finger tight, but make sure that it is.  If you find the cable is snug and you still get this message while running the BIST, the reps will probably need to run a remote diagnostics test to determine what is going on.  They are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  

When testing your speed, it's best to use testmy.net.  Hughesnet's own speed test can be a bit wonky at times, and the other speed tests out there aren't really geared for speed testing with a satellite connection (taking into account the latency, mainly).  When you test your download speed at testmy.net, make sure to use the manual 25MB test size, and, if you can, while connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable.  It's also best to make sure that nothing else is using bandwidth at the same time you run a download test, as it can take some of that speed away.  And, though this isn't required, it's a good idea to run the tests while signed into an account that you create at testmy.net.  Doing it this way saves all of the tests you've run in a central location and makes it easier for the reps to look at them if, in fact, you are requested to run tests due to a speed problem.  It also makes it easier to post the test results, as you can just post your results page URL rather than each single test result URL.  

http://testmy.net/

@GabeU

I checked the cable - seems snug.

I initially ran the download test at testmy.net without selecting manual, and it came back with a dismal 2.3 Mbps download.  Then I created an account there, ran the test using the 25mb size and it came back at 31 Mbps download.  This is on a computer with plugged into the LAN port.

The message is still there in the BIST test, but it's suddenly working better,  However, it's been going up and down like this since the install.

The other thing I see when looking at the control center, in system information it shows we're connected to echostar 17.  Isn't that the Gen4 satellite?  When we signed up for this, we said we wanted Gen5 and were assured that's what we'd be getting.

GabeU

@slym

Last thing first.  Gen5 is the type of service you are getting, and while most people with Gen5 are aimed at the ES19 satellite, there are three areas of the country that can't get service from ES19, so they are pointed to Echostar 17.  You are most likely in one of those areas.  I'll post a picture at the end of this post that shows those areas, and they are the areas in black.   That doesn't mean that your Gen5 service will be relegated to being like Gen4, as you'll still get all of the things Gen5 has with it.  The speed of 31Mbps that you got is actually pretty good.  

It's possible that your speeds are fluctuating because of so many people being online during the evening, but if it's consistently low, the reps will look at it.  Fluctuations are actually normal, and people on the ES19 experience them, as well.  The more loaded a beam, and gateway, the more affected it can be during the peak usage times.  For it to be faster during the day than in the evening is nothing unusual, but again, if it's consistently low, as in more than just one or two instances, even in the evening, like if you see low speeds like that on a regular basis in the evening, the reps will take a look at what's going on.  

As for the message still being there in the BIST results, that's definitely something that the reps are going to want to look at, as you shouldn't be getting that message.  They'll run some remote diagnostics to determine what's going on.  So, come Monday, it would be a good idea to leave the modem powered, if you don't already, as they will run the diagnostics during the day.  It's not something you have to be home for.  They do it remotely.  You don't need to leave any of your devices on, just the modem.  

Here's the map.  The areas in black are the ones that can't get access to the ES19 satellite.   Northern CA, in the middle of the Midwest and then southern Florida are the areas you'll see.  I don't know if the areas on the map are exact, though.  

ES19 Beam Map.jpg

@GabeU

Yes, we're in Iowa, and from that map, right on the edge of the black section.  Thank you for the explanation of all that.  I agree the 31Mbps is good, it's the slow times that are bothersome.  I'll run some more tests a few times a day to see if there is a pattern - such as in the evening when there's more congestion.

For the BIST results part - do the moderators pop on here and see the problem?  Or do I need to contact someone?

Thanks again,

Sue

GabeU

@slym

They do read the threads, but I'll tag them anyway so they'll be sure to see this on Monday.  @Liz @Amanda

Though getting a few speed tests in the evening is important, as if there is a problem that will establish it, but, like you mentioned, make sure to get a couple during the day, too, as that will help to show the difference of speeds between the two time periods.  Again, you already mentioned that you would do this, but I just figured I'd stress the importance of getting speeds at different times to show that difference and show if there is a problem. 

I'm out for the evening, but feel free to ask any questions that you may have.  Have a great night!  

GabeU

@slym

Oh, and just in case, I'll post the standard speed test macro just for reference.  The only thing it doesn't really mention is about running the tests while signed into an account at testmy.net, but that's important.  

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you are failing on the BIST then it will be pointless to attempt speedtests till Amanda, or Liz perform diagnostics on your terminal on Monday.  If the coax is flaky, or the ODU isn't working properly, it can result in a lock using a different frequency that could cause potentially lower speeds.  So Hughes will want to get the system operational first before attempting further troubleshooting.

Thank you both.  I'll wait til Monday for Liz or Amanda.

While I'm waiting for Monday, I've been reading a lot on this forum - excellent forum with a knowledgeable and helpful people, by the way. 

I see references to the IP Gateway Association State, and every one of them say the first two letters should be J1 or J2.  I'm assuming that's Jupiter 1 and 2?  The next three should be the gateway.  Mine says RAP20HN for the first 7 digits.  How do you decipher that?

Thanks,

Sue

@C0RR0SIVE

That's helpful.  Here's what mine says.  So I'm on Jupiter 1, since it's not there at all.  Beam 20, but where is the gateway RAP?

Screenshot 2017-08-19 12.32.14.png

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you. 

Hi slym

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I've located your account and will run diagnostics on your system to see if I can find the cause of this test result you are seeing. Your patience is appreciated.

Amanda

@Amanda

Thank you!  Will wait to see what you find out.

Hi slym

I ran all the tests and diagnostics I could but did not find anything to indicate there is an issue with the cabling. Is it possible for you to inspect the outdoor wiring and see if any parts look corroded or frayed?

~Amanda

@Amanda

We can take a look tomorrow.  It is a brand new installation, so hopefully that won't be the problem.  I'll let you know what we find.

@Amanda

Well, we looked at the outdoor wiring as best we could.  All looks shiny and new - no corrosion.  But I don't know if there is any connection issue up there, nor how to tell. 

After the few slow days, we've been running at a pretty good speed ever... until tonight.  Then it took a huge dip, but has since recovered. 

What would be the next step to fix the BIST cable connectivity failed test?  Maybe it's not affecting things?  But on the other hand, it's an error that shouldn't be there, and since this is a brand new install, it'd be nice to get it cleared up.

Thanks,

Sue

@C0RR0SIVE

Yes, it is, according to the control center

.vivaldi_2017-08-25_16-05-05.png