cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to the 80's

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Back to the 80's

Mordacious, thanks for the info, but it's not something I can really do because working for that sort of company could  reduce my SSDI, even drastically.  I can make the $800 per month and not have it affect my SSDI at all, as it's a program through Social Security and Medicare.  I appreciate the info, though, and the thought. 

Also, it's not that I would not love to be able to work and not have to receive SSDI anymore, but if I do something that cuts into it, and causes risk to actually losing it altogether, then I run the risk of something even more drastic.  If I were to do so, then lose the job, I would be in terrible shape.  With the SSDI at least I have security, but the extra $800 through their program would in no way affect it.  Not only that, but there is also a possibility that I wouldn't be able to do that for very long, anyway, due to medical reasons.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Mordacious, to be honest you are most likely on a very uncrowded beam and gateway. Many are not so lucky.
I'm on a moderately loaded beam and was able to jump on the Ultra plan when it was offered over a year ago.  It has since been discontinued for my beam I believe but I'm now grandfathered. Lucky me.
I experience slowdowns around to about 2-3 Mbps often during peak time and high speeds of 20+ Mbps during off peak. I'm fine with it though as doesn't affect what I do.
Saying you get maximum plus speed continuously is not most users experience. But yes, consistently slow speed is a problem either with the users local network or their satellite system.

BirdDog, I was thinking the same thing regarding Mordacious' speeds.  To get that all day long can only mean that there aren't too many people on his beam.  Like I said, during the slowdown I can still do normal things, so it really doesn't bother me, but it would still be nice to get those high speeds during those times if I needed to do something that required that speed.  Such is life.  We can't have everything.  LOL.  I'll tell you though, 20Mbps is not something I EVER expected during most of the day, so I was tickled pink when I discovered that. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Dolphins will be crowding your beam soon!  LOL.

I completely agree with your last sentence.  It's a bit ridiculous.

Junior

Hi Smheish,
Satellite internet is the last ditch option for those of us who can't get land based service. It has some limitations. It's latency is high. It's public IP addresses are shared amongst a group of users behind a CGN. It's more expensive than land based service. It has FAP (monthly data allowance). It is subject to weather related effects.

If your dish is pointed correctly and your home network is configured correctly it will provide you hi-speed internet within the above limitations.

If you need help, we will be glad to assist you.

Don  Smiley Happy

Good morning smheish,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. We can certainly help address your speed concerns if you're willing to work with us. As Mordacious previously posted, to help us address your speed concern, please connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. 

Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I have called and cancelled service.  I am not taking any chances.  When I get the server is or the network is slow to respond and will not download even hughesnet email, hooked direct, I do not feel there is any reason to continue this path.  That shark security fish does seem like a good logo for Hughes Net.    Thanks all for your help.  

Hi smheish,

I'm sorry to hear we couldn't work things out together, but thank you for letting me know of your decision. I'll go ahead and close this thread. 

Good luck with your future ISP.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->