Hughesnet Community

Bad Company - Beware

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardsr

Bad Company - Beware

I was told if I purchased a wireless router that I could have wifi. We have had Hughes net service since December 18th and no WiFi. We have tried customer service and no one knows how to help us. We have done everything that was suggested. Hughes wants $99.00 to come out an fix what should have been fixed in the first place. Hughes net also told me I could have my same phone number from my previous residence. But that was not true. When it came time to change the number they said my previous number was out of their calling area (old residence was 10 miles away). After 27 years with the same phone number we had to change because we were lied to. I am totally disappointed in Hughes net and wish I had never signed up. As soon as my contract is over I will be looking else where for internet services.
17 REPLIES 17
Mordacious

Have you configured you router for WiFi?
Hughesnet has no control over your network. Anything past the modem is your responsibility. If you are having trouble getting your WiFi to work call the manufacturer for help.

Also porting your old phone number is your responsibility, NOT Hughesnet's. You arrange that with your old phone company.

Why is it people always want to blame Hughesnet for their own failings?
Chris11
Alum

Hello edwardsr,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I was able to pull up your account and I see that you did try to port your number over to our service. Porting numbers is left solely to the user and we have no control on whether it is successful. There are many reasons why it could not have worked. For you reference here is some general info regarding phone porting.
  • The process:
    • Voice activation has to be completed (activation does not port the number).
    • The phone number has to be active and working from the previous provider for it to be ported from that telephone company to HN Voice.
    • The customer needs the account information from their previous provider to complete the porting request.
    • The customer needs a login to the HughesNet Voice Self-care portal.
    • Only the customer can complete the porting process and the customer should be directed to http://voice.hughesnet.com/porting to complete the process.
    • The Porting process takes 10 business days.
    • The customer will receive an email notification when the porting Process has been completed sent to the same email address used as the login to the portal.
    • Once the porting process has been completed, the customer can cancel the account of their previous provider. If the customer's existing number with another provider is cancelled before the Porting process is complete, they customer may lose the number.
    • If the customer is calling about a porting error or requesting additional help with porting, warm transfer to the Voice Group.

How to Submit Port Request (for information only as to what the customer should see online when completing the port request)

1. The customer can click the Transfer an existing telephone number link after Voice activation is complete or login to the Support Center, then click Manage under the Premium Services/Voice Package section: 
  2. The customer will be presented with the login page for the Voice Portal. If the customer forgot the email address or password used to log into the portal, agents can check in the Voice CSR Portal the email address that the customer registered. The agent can also assist the customer in sending a reset password link for the customer. 
  3. Once the customer is logged into the Voice portal, the customer must click the Port My Number tab. 
  4. The customer should fill in the Port Request form. The account and address information associated with their previous telephone provider is used to fill out the form. The customer can retrieve the information from off of the latest statement sent from their previous telephone company. 
  5. Once they have confirmed the port request, they will receive an confirmation message below: 
  6. The customer will also receive an email confirmation about the port request they submitted. The customer is advised to wait 10 business days for the number to be transferred to their HughesNet Voice service. In the meantime, the customer's HughesNet Voice temporary phone number will be the pre-selected phone at the time of activation. Once the porting of the customer's telephone number is complete (Status: Port Activate), the pre-selected telephone number will be deactivated.
The sections That I have highlighted in bold are cases where something could have gone wrong. As long as you never cancelled your account with your previous provider it should have worked. 

As for your router, again we are not responsible for setting up your router when installing. Anything past the modem is your responsibility. However, setting it up is relatively simple unless you have a router that is completely no compatible. All you have to make sure is that the router does not share the same IP address as the modem. Can you provide the brand and model of your current router? We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
edwardsr

I am blaming hughes net because they are the ones that said I could have my old phone number and they are the ones that said I could have wifi. If they would have been truthful from the start and not made promises that they could not keep I would have looked elsewhere for services. You need to mine your own business when you do not know what your are talking about. 
edwardsr

I kept my old uverse service from my other resident on for 2 months so I could have my old phone number. I did follow all the instructions and then called customer service for help. She stated that the number I had could not be use because it was out of their area. I told her the person that took by order for Hughes Net assured me that I could have my old number. My router is a ASUS RT AC66U Dual Band Wireless -AC 1750 Gigabit. I was also told after the fact that I could not have wifi with a cisco phone box.. This is after I have the service and have purchased a router. 
Mordacious

So it's Hughesnet's fault because your old phone company won't port your old number and because you don't know how to setup your router? How lazy can you get? Hughesnet does NOT support WiFi, that is your responsibility. They were not lying when they said you could have WiFi, their mistake was in assuming that you had an IQ high enough to install a router. Call your router manufacturer for help. Do you want us to wipe your nose as well?

Been with Hughesnet for 9 years jocko, I know what I'm talking about
edwardsr

I do not know who you are but you are rude and totally out of line with me. I want help not criticism. You do not know what I have been through to try to get this problem fixed. If you do not have anything supportive to say then stay out of this conversation.  
edwardsr

Also I would like to report Mordacious. He is rude and very critical. Not everyone is a computer guru. There is not reason to be so critical of me. He has no idea what I have gone through to try to resolve this problem. Please remove him so he cannot respond to my problems. 
James E Besser

mordacious has too go hes very nasty
twostik

i think he was a bit rude but what he said is correct Hughes don't change your phone number for you that is your problem although all you need to do is call your old provider before you switch and tell them you want to keep the no and they will switch it as far as wifi goes you are responsible for the setup wifi is pretty simple to set up if you do not know how to do it call the company that makes the router they have tutorials and usually support people that will guide you through the install Hughes should have told you this .but with the low quality untrained personnel they use you are lucky they can even talk to you.you are a adult so act like one OK hang in there it can be done and it isn't to hard for most folks just my opinion ok!
twostik

check with Asus they should have a work around for your router if not they will probably let you trade it for one that will work Asus is a huge co so sometimes you have to keep after them to get the help you need grit your teeth and cary on dont give up they will eventually help you out it just takes some time and being a bit stuborn.
edwardsr

Everyone is not understanding what I am saying. The sales rep that sold me the service is the one that told me that I could have wifi if a purchased a compatible router and my old phone number. She assured me and did not go into any detail of what I would need to do. She even told me the installer would set up my wifi which he did. But I had also ordered a phone but they messed up on my order and did not bring the Cisco box for the phone. I had to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the Cisco box to arrive in the mail. I had to hook up the phone myself. After that the wifi no longer worked so I called them and they said the wifi would not work with a cisco box. I am not saying Hughes Net is suppose to change my number for me or configure my router, I am saying the sales rep told me this. I decided the sales reps tell you anything you want to hear in order to make a sale. You are right twostik the support personnel do not have a clue on how to help you with this system.
edwardsr

By the way I am going to contact the PUC and report Hughes Net. I have read through all the numerous complaints and someone needs to stop the company from these fraudalent practices. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A WiFi router will work just fine with the phone ATA box. You have something configured or connected wrong, maybe both.
foxbrook
Sophomore

Hughesnet is not a public utility. So contacting the PUC won't get you anywhere.
Mordacious

I'm going to be sorry for trying to help but here goes anyway.

Is your ATA set up in this configuration?

And the connections to the ATA box are like this?

If your WiFi is not working then you have something connected wrong or configured wrong. No one from Hughesnet lied to you or misrepresented the truth. We ALL have Wifi. If you're having a problem try calling the manufacturer of your router, that is why they have customer support. Hughesnet does NOT support routers.

The sales rep that sold me the service is the one that told me that I could have wifi if a purchased a compatible router and my old phone number.
We understand that... you don't seem to understand that setting up the router is YOUR responsibility. As is the porting of the old phone number. If your old phone company will NOT port your number there is nothing Hughesnet can do about it, that is between you and your old phone company

She even told me the installer would set up my wifi which he did.
Was it working when the installer left?

But I had also ordered a phone but they messed up on my order and did not bring the Cisco box for the phone. I had to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the Cisco box to arrive in the mail. I had to hook up the phone myself.
Cisco box for the phone? The ATA is for your phone, you don't need another box.

modem ---> ATA ---> router --->WiFi/computer
                             |
                             |
                             V
                       phone

If you have something else hooked up no wonder you're having problems. There is no box that needs to be hooked up for a phone, you connect the phone to the ATA
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I believe the ATA is made by Cisco as stated here in number 23: http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq/hughesnet-voice

Good info on how it should be hooked up though, so you're forgiven. : )
Mordacious

That might explain why the ATA has CISCO on it.... DUH!

Cisco box for the phone put me off the scent, sort of like putting black pepper on the scent trail. But you understand that right BirdDog?

I'm human.... sometimes