cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Installation

Highlighted
New Poster

Bad Installation

I ordered internet service for my Mom's house that was installed on 06.03.2020... Her service is BEYOND horrible. I'm pretty sure the installer just did "whatever" because he never asked us where it would be okay to put the dish and he "mounted it" in a place that really isn't at all okay. Plus, the dish is pretty much pointing at trees. The installer did caused damage to the metal siding while mounting the dish in such a poor location, but I would fix the damage if we had internet service... BUT my mom basically doesn't have any internet because she can't even watch a video on YouTube without constant buffering. I am attaching photos so you can see that there are severe issues. I'm including images so you can see what a mess it is! Either someone will fix this at no additional charge to us or we will have to cancel our service and file a complaint with consumer affairs office for bad faith dealings because this problem is really bad.

Where the dish is pointed.Where the dish is pointed.All the interference where he put the dish.All the interference where he put the dish.HughesNet Dish 2.jpgHughesNet Dish 1.jpg

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Bad Installation

1. Installers place the dishes where the signal is best.  The adult who is present during the installation needs to sign for the installation, indicating it was OK, and the company will have a copy of the signed paperwork.
  2. Buffering is very possible with satellite internet due to congestion and latency, although it doesn't happen to everyone. While it is possible to stream with the service, satellite internet is not optimal for this task. 
  3. Please read the subscriber agreement to learn how to go about a dispute with the company (section 5)...

@Liz , @Remy@Damian 

Pure_Magma_2020 wrote:

I ordered internet service for my Mom's house that was installed on 06.03.2020... Her service is BEYOND horrible. I'm pretty sure the installer just did "whatever" because he never asked us where it would be okay to put the dish and he "mounted it" in a place that really isn't at all okay. Plus, the dish is pretty much pointing at trees. The installer did caused damage to the metal siding while mounting the dish in such a poor location, but I would fix the damage if we had internet service... BUT my mom basically doesn't have any internet because she can't even watch a video on YouTube without constant buffering. I am attaching photos so you can see that there are severe issues. I'm including images so you can see what a mess it is! Either someone will fix this at no additional charge to us or we will have to cancel our service and file a complaint with consumer affairs office for bad faith dealings because this problem is really bad.

Highlighted

Pure_Magma_2020,

I see it's your first post here. Welcome to the Community! We'd love to help try to get to the bottom of this. Please send me a private message with a phone number attached to the account.

Thanks,

Remy

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Pure_Magma_2020 

The "look angle" of a satellite dish is actually a good bit higher than it appears.  It's very likely that, though it appears to be pointed at trees, the look angle is considerably higher than them.  The following is a generic diagram with arbitrary measurements so you understand what I'm referring to...

Dish II.PNG

If the installer cannot get adequate signal, activation cannot be completed.  With that having taken place, adequate signal was achieved.  

As maratsade indicated, buffering is not an indication of poor installation or signal.  The system is under considerable strain right now due to so many people being home and relying on it for work and schooling, and streaming can be somewhat difficult because of it, especially later in the day, when the highest number of people are online.  How well one can stream can also depend on the streaming source, and whether the streaming from that source is progressive or adaptive.  

A couple of things that may help with the buffering are reducing the streamed resolution, which usually has to be done at the source, and turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver.  

Lastly, you may want to look into PlayOn Cloud.  It is a service that "captures" your chosen streamed item, records it to a cloud based DVR (a remote server), and converts it to an mp4 file, which you then download, either automatically, by scheduling, or manually from a link sent to your email.  PlayOn Cloud completely eliminates the buffering because you're watching the item from an already downloaded file.  You can also keep what you download, and it never expires.  The files can be played on anything that can play mp4 files, including many Smart TVs and DVD/Blu Ray players using a USB flash drive, or even optical disks with the latter (if you write the files to a DVD or BluRay).  

That's not a plug for PlayOn Cloud, per se, but only that some of us use it to get around the buffering that can occur.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for the information.

I was not aware that there was a "Video Data Saver" and I have now turned it off. Hopefully this will help.