Bad Modem??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScruffyFace
Freshman

Bad Modem??

I cannot watch an on demand movie without it stopping every 20 sec to buffer at a rate of 200 to 500kbps.

Cannot watch a show on Netflix without it doing the same thing.

Ethernet cable is connected from my Dish Network box to the modem.

Internet is slow to dowload. Cannot play any games online.

I've ran many speed tests and they've all came back between 4 to 25Mbps.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ScruffyFace 

Right now system congestion is high due to so many people being online.  As well, HughesNet has prioritized schooling and work related activities, which means that things like streaming are taking a back seat.  So, unfortunately, streaming may not work well right now, and it will probably be this way for a while.  

As for the gaming, real time online games don't tend to work very well with satellite internet due to the latency.  Some of them won't even start due to detecting the latency has being to high for them.  It's one of the unfortunate drawbacks to satellite internet.  

On a side note, keep an eye on your data usage, as satellite TV receivers can use a lot of your data, even if you never watch anything on demand.  HughesNet normally recommends against connecting satellite TV receivers to their service because of this.

Hi Gabe.....Thank you for your response. What I failed to mention is that it has done this for the past six months. It really wasn't an issue then, but it is now since all this started.

My cell phone will connect to a 5G network but my computer and TV will not even find a 5G. Only a 2G.

maratsade

"my computer and TV will not even find a 5G. Only a 2G.

They likely don't have the capability.  

Thank you.

GabeU

@ScruffyFace 

That's unfortunate.  I do see your post from February 5th.

Unfortunately, though, with streaming being so touch and go for a lot of people right now, troubleshooting may be difficult, as the prioritization and high congestion occurring right now might end up covering up some underlying issue.  Or, it's possible that the problem actually has been congestion all along, but with it being so much worse right now it'd be impossible to tell. 

Still, if you want to try troubleshooting this, the first step will be speed testing.   If the problem is being caused by inordinately low speed, that could still be seen, regardless of the aforementioned congestion and prioritization.  The instructions for the testing are here.  Please be sure to read them thoroughly before running the tests and follow the directions.  If you run any upload tests, there is a discrepancy between the main page instructions and the "in depth guide".  You can use the 3MB file size for upload tests.  

With regard to the 5GHz WiFi, while nearly all WiFI capable devices have the ability to connect to the 2.4GHz band, not all can do so with the 5GHz band.  If the devices in question aren't seeing the 5GHz WiFi in their connection options, they likely can't utilize it.

Over the past few hours I performed 5 speed tests. The slowest was 39Mbps of a 16mb file and 0.5 upload on a 2Mb file.

I would think I could at least watch Netflix without interuptions.

Hi Gabe,

With the speeds that the tests are showing, do you think the problem is the modem? What do you suggest I try next?

GabeU

@ScruffyFace 

It doesn't sound like a modem issue. 

From the speeds you've given, it's likely that the problem is either congestion, prioritization, or even more likely, a combination of the two.  And, unfortunately, neither one of these things are likely to change anytime soon.  

With this said, if you'd still like a definitive answer from the reps, they'll still need a link to your speed test results (My Results page URL).  But again, the results they will need are from speed tests run in a specific way.  Please be sure to read the speed testing instructions thoroughly and be sure to run them as instructed, including with the upload size I referenced in my prior post.

Hi ScruffyFace,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!