cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad service or bad router?

Bad service or bad router?

Brand new customer here. We had Hughesnet installed last Friday. Since the installation we have had numerous issues which I believe to be from the router. 1st, the signal is not consistent as speed tests resemble the outline of the Rocky Mountains. Our Verizon extender/booster does not work at all. Verizon sent us a new one just in case but the same results. I am pretty sure this is a router issue. 2nd, as the afternoon/evening progress the ability to get service diminishes dramatically. From 5:00 pm on to about 8:00pm the ability to get online or use any internet service goes down to zero at or around 8:00pm. I can get to the router and speed test which will get me around 5-7Mbps we get 10-15Mbps during the morning to afternoon. Again, I think this is a router issue. And 3rd, Xbox Live or other streaming gaming systems are zero after 6:00pm. Thinking router again. Router was tested and tested good and reconfigured. Wanted to ensure there was a consensus before spending money on yet another router.
Thank you for any responses
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Bad service or bad router?

Can you plug a laptop or computer directly into the modem and run speed tests from there?  ( I like speedtest.net but HughesNet uses testmy.net)

If the speeds are good when plugged directly into the modem but not good when going through the router then the most likely cause is the router.
Associate Professor

Junior

The OP says he is getting 10-15Mbps off-peak and 5-7 Mbps during peak hours. Sounds like he might have too great of demand locally. Does not sound like a router issue. 

thats correct they will not work with hughesnet
Alum

Hi masf1344,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I see you have done some troubleshooting so far, and we appreciate you taking the time to allow us to help you. It does sound like it is mainly the demand in your area during those peak time hours. No matter which ISP you have, at the times where most users are home, bandwidth is typically spread more thin. So that is normal. However as mentioned to better isolate the network, plugging directly into the modem with a computer to run speed tests is best. Try to do this during the times you've seen it slow down the most. 

Please use www.testmy.net when doing so or our own speed test found on the customer support at center www.myhughesnet.com. Just make sure to use 12 MB as the test size(testmy.net only) and post your results for us to review. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris