cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth disappearing right before my eyes!

Bandwidth disappearing right before my eyes!

Last time I complained about this, I was told to take screen shots of the status meter, but the problem stopped immediately after getting that advice. So this time, I have taken screenshots before posting so I can document how 100 mg can disappear by sending one email!
9 REPLIES 9
Associate Professor

Re: Bandwidth disappearing right before my eyes!

Please, if you have absolute proof, and can show the times that you disconnected your LAN cable and took the screen shots according to the graphic below, post it up!

Here are screen shots of what took place last Friday, Oct 30, 2015. Following these images is a 2nd problem I experienced Sunday, Nov 1, when I tried downloading a massive upgrade during "bonus bytes" time.

This first image is from about noon on Friday. This was taken after I had already noticed bandwidth disappearing rapidly while I was checking for email.

After this screenshot, I disabled my wireless connection, but left the dish system powered up. At about 1:00 pm, reconnected to router via wireless. This is what came up:

At this time, I read email until about 1:20 pm. Here's what the meter indicated:

At this point, I shut my computer off rather than just disconnecting the wireless. At about 2:30, I booted up and reconnected and saw this:

Then onto a second, apparently related, issue. Saturday we only checked email, but I began upgrading my OS on a Mac Sunday morning about 6:15 am to take advantage of "bonus bytes". About 8:10 it was still downloading, so I checked the status meter and discovered that 3.2 Gig was being counted again bonus bytes AND anytime data!.

At that point, I stopped the download!

One other significant detail: we live away from any population. Our nearest neighbor is a mile away, and there is little to no traffic on our dirt road. There can be no one close by "riding for free" on our satellite connection.

By the looks of the double charge above, it appears that Hughesnet has a programming issue to deal with and owes me 3.2 Gig of anytime data. The other issue makes me wonder if there is some "distributed computing" going on at my expense.
Freshman

I am really confused. You were downloading an uograde, went into your premium data and that is the ISP's fault?

It looks to me like your data only disappears when you use it. Can someone clue me in here? What am I not getting?
Assistant Professor

I was confused reading it also but decided to let others try to figure out what is really going on. But yea, if you start a download during Bonus time and it carries over into Anytime period then the data is going to start coming from there.

What do you use for anti-virus/Anti-Malware? It almost sounds like someone is using your computer to do their "work". 

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:
- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/standard def: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Finally, if you would like more control of your network, you should take a look into a program called Glasswire. Here's a link to its features https://www.glasswire.com/features/. When downloaded on your device it will monitor and track all activity on the machine it is installed too. Many of our community members have found it useful and we've tested it out in our lab and like what it does too. I hope all this helps you. 

I would seriously recommend installing Glasswire. It is your best friend when it comes down to tracking usage on a machine.

Hi 1cheesecake,

Our engineers want just two screenshots:

One screenshot before you unplug the LAN cable from the HughesNet modem.

Then one screenshot after you replug the LAN cable into the HughesNet modem.

The point is, if there's usage when the modem is isolated like that, then there's an issue and it must be escalated to our engineers.

Otherwise, something on your PC/network is using the data. If you're ever unsure what could be using your data, try keeping one PC plugged into the modem and observe your usage.

Lots of usage when your computer is plugged in? Try GlassWire. It's a 3rd party program that shows you what programs on your computer is using the most data; you may find its results surprising. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire too, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thanks Brandon, I will try the glasswire. What is really confusing is that there has been no change in my usage. At the end of each month, we're trying to use all the bandwidth that hasn't been used. Then, without changing the routine of use, we're left wondering how many days we'll have to skip at the end of the billing cycle because it has gone down so rapidly.

Thanks Liz. I will get the specific screenshots you called for here. I will also get the Glasswire downloaded.

I still have a problem of getting charged premium time between 6:20 - 8:00 am...unless there was an issue with the time change that night. Or, if I go over 1 minute (or 10) when downloading, does all the usage prior to 8:00 get charged to "anytime data"? I went 10 minutes past 8:00 and it appears to have charged the whole download to both bonus bytes and anytime data.

Thanks 1cheesecake,

If you're in the Bonus Bytes period and you run out of Bonus Bytes, you will start to use your Anytime Bytes, as long as you have some, hence the term "Anytime". 

I will check with a software engineer about what happens when a single download straddles the both periods, good question.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->