cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth problems.

Bandwidth problems.

I am having issues with disappearing bandwidth.   I have an IMac running Yosemite, an IPad, and one other windows computer.  The IMac is the main computer being used.  I do not play games, or stream TV.  I do not have anyone within .5 mile of my home.  My router has not been changed.  I unplugged the modem from the router and turned off all of my devices and still lost data overnight.  I checked for adware and found none.  Trying to figure this out.  
13 REPLIES 13
Associate Professor

Re: Bandwidth problems.

jillsmithdesign,

Welcome to the community, please follow the steps outlined in the below graphic precisely to help determine if the loss is caused by your equipment.  Once determined where the loss is at, Hughes, or others will be able to help you further.

Thank you so much.  I will try this and see what happens.  I also have been reading about Facebook usage and noticed that people are complaining about the auto play videos.  I did just look at mine and I had the auto play option on.  I turned it off.  Not sure if that is the issue, but thought I would try that too.  

HUGHES REPLY TO JILLSMITHDESIGN

MONDAY Oct 26th 2015

HI, 

I will with interest follow this thread.  I am not sure if it will be any consolation, but...   I am a satisfied user of hughesnet for 2-1/2 years.  I know how to use it to get good value.   EXCEPT the past 4 months have been plagued with 'data leakage,' 'data drain' Phantom usage or whatever one wants to label it. 

Hughes does not believe me, evidently. I have devoted DAYS to screenshots, keeping records and very cogently communicating the problem to Frontier, which I suppose is a subcontractor.  I care about the problem and have done everything on my end to try to help get it resolved.  No one from Hughes will communicate with me. Frontier and I beg some meaningful two way communication and it does not occur.  I was promised a call last Friday 23 Oct from Hughes, and it never came. For some techie reason i cannot post screenshots here. (I can send MS word documents easily if anyone cares to see that evidence, but not on this forum.) 

To this end, it takes me 10-15 minutes every time I go online because I record the meters, make MS Word documents, to keep the facts, the evidence. Frontier cares, but they have probable different legal standards as they are a regulated public utility. .  i am not sure about Hughes. They keep saying -when checking for some time, that those times everything is OK. ..Well, it probably is THEN.  The only reason I know these of comments from Hughes is that I have Frontier read them to me. They said for 2 months "Oh, It's the Router."  Folks there is NO ROUTER IN THE HOUSE.   Never use one.  It is NOT germane to this case.  And then, "Oh you don't understand Eastern time."  

Well, how about the 1.1Gb that disappeared when there was 0.0MB for 7 hours BEFORE and 0.0GB usage 5 hours AFTER. and all that time the Ethernet cable was unplugged, and the HT1100 modem was indeed powerd on, at Hughes request, so they could 'check" whatever that means.    

This is my experience.  

I have lots of times data is charged to me WHEN MY ETHERNET CABLE is disconnected.  I DO NOT USE A ROUTER - there in none in the house.  One computer (95% a good SSD, reliable VISTA computer.) at a time, Ethernet cable only.  

The HT1100 modem has been changed once and did not help - at the outset of the problem 4 MONTHS ago. 

I have, upon counsel for Frontier, started UNPLUGGING the modem when I am not using internet to see if data is still being charged.  2 out of three days (Sat and Sunday) IT WAS.  About 150MB yesterday and 0.1 Mb (Hey - that's a tenth of a Gigabyte and not inconsiderable). So, the usage is still occurring when UNPLUGGED, powered down modem.  

Hughes keep asking Frontier to close the case.  Frontier believes me, as I walk them through the confusing, mess each time I call, which takes HUGE amounts of time.  I suspect the techs are trained to NOT BELIEVE Phantom Usage ever occurs, that 100% of it is that we customers are crazy.  But when methodically taken through the evidence from inside Hughes’’ computers, at least Frontier listens and forwards the info on to Hughes, and thinks I may indeed have some credibility.  But with the Hughes end, only insulting dismisses “IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM," It's the Router,"  "It's that you cannot add or subtract 3 because of eastern time,"  "It's ALL your fault."   Nothing ever happens, or at least has not for 4 months.  But what is sad is the moral issue.  IF I am correct as to the economics, I am being charged a SECOND thousand BUCKS A YEAR.

I DON’T MIND THE first thousand. I know the drill. I can budget, plan.  Hughes worked fine for nearly 2-1/2 years. 

I think there is a severe problem here.  

WHY?

Hughes is probably a 2 Billion dollar a year business give or take a few hundred million. 

Their HOUR BY HOUR makes no sense. It is labeled EASTERN TIME.  But when I get on and get off (and I have used this hour by hour some HUNDREDS of times in the last 4 months, it makes no sense in EASTERN TIME)  It does work well if the "Eastern Time" label is merely wrong and it is actually PACIFIC, where I LIVE. But this HAS to be at least obliquely and probably closely related to the bucks we are charged monthly or the tokens we have to buy.  And they have a really bollixed up HOUR BY HOUR. Often there are hours FOR WHICH THE TIME DOES NOT YET EXIST.  Often there is an hour inserted. The last 7 hours of the day are WRONG.  And if as labeled, it is in Eastern time, then I am NOT charged for a lot of usage that should be, and of course wrongly charged for usage I do not do. THIS IS IN ADDITION TO THE USAGE FOR TIMES I CANNOT USE INTERNET due to no connection of Ethernet cable, and now for times when I am not even powered on of the HT1100 modem.  It surprised that there is not some code writer to straighten this out inside Hugesnet. Been like this for 4 months that I know of.  

Well, sorry for the length of this. I hoe you have a good resolution and in less than the 4 months from hell I have been experiencing

I just never know when the Dreaded Data Drain disease bug will bite. He has been biting quite regularly for  awhile now and I would think this possible severe security problem would be catch-able.

From the many very helpful and kind technical postings here which I have been reading and benefiting from for about 18 months, I do recognize MOST of the data usage is on our, the customer’s end. But ...

Are all such posts such as yours above, and mine and many others all from pathological liars.  I think not.

Thank you,

Larry Lewis

Nordman, Idaho

Also, any phone or tablet can use a massive amount of data due to it thinking the wifi it connects to is unlimited. Make sure you have disabled autoupdates, and auto back up as these Can use 1GB in just an hour. Ad Blocker is extremely useful also. Ads do take data as there is videos, pics and gifs being downloaded the entire time your on a site. I use ghostery, adblocker and privacy badger, i only see maybe 2 ads a month.

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

I hope this provides you a little more information Smiley Happy

larry, when you unplug the modem, it does not update with the hughes servers, so you are not always going to get an ACTUAL data usage history or the amount of data remaining. 
Junior

Hi jillsmithdesign,

I too am an Apple user, currently running an iMac using El Capitan and have an iPhone6 on my network. I do not however (except for re-boot) power down my router or disconnect from my modem. I  did previously use a LAN ethernet connection but for the past several months have connected wirelessly. I expressly do not want to state that in all cases there might not be an issue with the HN network. That being said, Windows computers gobble data to carry an immense overhead and since they comprise roughly 91.8% of PCs used in the US, have a need for frequent updates to maintain their security.
     On your iMac, under system preferences: The App Store tab, allows you to automatically check for updates, download newly available updates in the background, install app updates, install OS X updates, install system data files and security updates as well as automatically download apps purchased on other Macs. The Security and Privacy tab, under the Privacy selection in the area marked Diagnostics & Usage also allows you the choice to send diagnostic & usage data to Apple and share crash data with developers. Locations Services also are located within this section.
Your selections, in these areas will have effect on the amount of data that you use. iCloud uses data, third party extensions you might have use data and on and on. When you start up your computer there is a apple payload delivered when your device connects with Apple's servers. eMail is going on in the background delivering both to your Mac and your iPad (my iPhone). As to the iPad/iPhone there are also many settings fetching or pushing information from servers to your iPad, or as in my case iPhone.
     To the point, After making "reasonable" selections of these options on your devices be aware that there is a certain amount of data transfer necessary to keep these services up and running and maintain the convenience that we have come to expect from them. (btw I rarely shut down my system) Putting your iPad in the airplane mode can provide a significant reduction but is pointless unless you are moving it to another network to bring it up to date when you put it back on line.
Because these services run invisibly, in the background we take them for granted. If you have excessive data usages check your Activity Monitor to see what processes are running and how much data they are actually using. Do not be a "data miser". Data allowance is a precious resource and I'm not advocating wasting it but do not expect to have all of the convenience of these services without some cost. Understand that a few Mb will be used here and there so if you have contracted for too small allowance maybe you should consider a larger package. If after carefully looking over your system and selecting options you need or want you still have data usages beyond what they should be then contact HughesNet support.

ps The modem will require a small amount of data to boot and connect with the HN server (might explain the overnight data loss from an unplugged modem)

pps OS X 10.11 is "lighter weight" and faster than 10.10.5 

Don Smiley Happy
Honorary Alumnus

Larry,
I responded to you in your latest core thread,
Amanda had responded to you in your latest core thread.
Both had the same request:
Post a screen shot if your fuel gauge just before shutdown along with the time of shutdown and LAN disconnect and the noted time.
Post a screenshot of the fuel gauge imediatly after reconnect and startup and the noted time.

Two screenshots, before and after.
You never followed up.

est results can be delayed by up to 2 minutes. Please click here to refresh results.Date/TimeDown(kbps)Up(kbps)10/27/2015 06:53:56839771110/27/2015 06:52:008537633

Okay...I did the screen shots.   No difference.

Thank you, Donsjgm for the info.  I do no have auto updates on and am running 10.10.5.  I have not had any problems with data allowance before about two weeks ago.  With the exception of maybe once or twice when updating programs.  I do not have location services turned on and I have also turned off everything possible in spotlight search and background app refresh.  I do not have anything like "find my iPhone" or iPad turned on.  I have iCloud squelched down to just reminders and contacts.  I have no idea where this info is going, but apparently I downloaded almost a gig of info yesterday...Why would this just suddenly happen?  I have several updates that I need to download for my computer, but can't because that will send the bandwidth gods into a major spiral.  I have my activity monitor on and it shows very little activity...I have dropbox, but have it cleared out and it shows very little activity.  So..where is the data going?  I don't get it.  

Thanks, 

Jill