cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth problems.

Junior

Re: Bandwidth problems.

To venture a guess, It appears that it's not your Mac using the data more likely the iPad. My iPhone uses more background data than my computer.

Don  Smiley Happy
Honorary Alumnus

It is very important when troubleshooting a data loss problem to remove the router from the equation during the initial phases.

Connect a single computer directly to the modem and perform a "modem isolation test" to rule the modem itself in or out as the culprit.

Beyond that, each computer, connected singularly, by wire need to be "qualified" before moving to the next computer.

Its only after that, that the wireless devices can be addressed including the router itself.

Good morning Jill,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting and sharing your Status Meter screenshots. Since you've already ruled out the HughesNet modem as the source of data usage, best way is to add devices one by one to your network as you observe your usage. So the next step should be to connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem and see if you notice an unusually large spike or level of usage. That would indicate that there may be something on your computer that's connecting to the internet without your knowledge. 

As Don suggested, your Activity Monitor might give you some clues as to what could be using your data. For PC users, we recommend using GlassWire, which is a 3rd party program that shows what programs are using data and how much. Unfortunately, there's no version yet for Mac, although it looks like they're working on one for Mac: https://www.glasswire.com/download/?os=mac

Please let us know on your progress so the community can help.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi Jill,

It's been two weeks since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->