cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam 19 Going Strong

Re: Beam 19 Going Strong

Hi Ecoalex, thank you for your input... we'd love to know exactly whom you spoke with. As always, if you have a case number please list it (it doesn't need to be related to your sales call) and give me an idea of when you spoke with us .... VoIP is not recommended with satellite but it is possible to use it and you've heard right, we are developing a dedicated VoIP service as we speak. Thanks, Sara

Hi ecoalex, you always want to make sure to post your case number not your SAN. Posting your SAN online allows everyone to have access to your personal information.

Suz

Since you don't get a case # when you start a Hughes account (all I got was phone #s,what good would a case # like for slow speeds be?If Hughes wants to back track to the sales Rep,they should be able to,since I used a Hughes Rep.

I do have an installation service sheet with the contractor # and service order #

If Hughes really wants to trace back to the sales rep who misinformed me, I think it would be possible.The information is there. I know there are phone records of the conversation.

Hi ecoalex, you've worked with us many times including our corporate office. You have more than on case number. The case number is just a safe way for us to access your account without your personal information being accessible by others. Just in case you need for the future, your latest case number is 35213474. This will always help us find your account quickly so that we can help you.

By the way, the case number will also allow us to find the sales call. Suz Smiley Happy
Advanced Tutor

VoIP working over satellite is not a simple Yes or No answer.

We have some customers using VoIP, even on older HN7000 systems. But please keep in mind there is more than one type of VoIP hardware and protocol, and they have different requirements and limitations.

Here's a few things we've found:

On older systems - Subscribe to the highest plan possible. Main issue is the upload speed - Symptom is you can hear callers but they can't hear you.

Time of day - Especially on older systems, earlier in the day is better because there are not as many customers online sharing the satellite at the same time you are.

Skype - Has shown the best (or "least worst") results we've seen. If you want to see if some kind of VoIP will work with your system, start with this first for free to test.

Vonage - May or may not work. You need to set the Bandwidth Saver feature to its lowest 30 Kbps setting.

Net2Phone - As far as a hardware-based VoIP, woks fairly well. Again, recommend you set the bandwidth setting feature to its lowest 30 Kbps setting

MagicJack/Ooma - Do not seem to work as well. They need a lot of bandwidth and seems to have problems with the greater latency over satellite.

Corporate PBX VoIP Phone Systems - Some do not work at all, or take a lot of customized fiddling by the System Administrator to get them to work.

If you have a choice, land-based telephone and cellular will work better than VoIP over satellite. The higher latency over satellite is noticeable on voice calls, and can be annoying.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

The sales rep also told me there was roll over of bandwidth not used from the previous month to the next.I had the rep repeat why question many times...yes,there is roll over.yes,
This is a training issue.for that sales agent - 7000s and 9000s were supposed to get a daily rollover into the Download Bank up to 2 times the daily allowance, but not Gen4. He/she had mixed up their information.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com