cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam 55 After Expansion Of Capasity Did Your Speed Improve?

Highlighted
Senior

Beam 55 After Expansion Of Capasity Did Your Speed Improve?

12.15 Beam 55 5:15 Pm Speed test- 28.5Mbs. This is a marked improvement for me.

Hope it continues. Our Christmas present from Hughes Smiley Happy

Christmas cat.jpeg

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Beam 55 After Expansion Of Capasity Did Your Speed Improve?

Did they announce that they had completed the capacity expansion on Beam 55?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

wow that is awesome.  I am new sunscriber and so far I am very sad that I made this 2 year commitment. 

Highlighted

@ecoalex2 wrote:

12.15 Beam 55 5:15 Pm Speed test- 28.5Mbs. This is a marked improvement for me.

Hope it continues. Our Christmas present from Hughes Smiley Happy

Christmas cat.jpeg

I was not sure how to read the PM from Liz today about engineering and the expansion of they have or are rolling something out.  Anyway... speeds during the normal slow time of 8PM and while I am in FAP are better than past month or two.  800K to 1.1Mbps down and upload 700K to 2Mbps.  Will have to digest it over the weekend and see if the speeds stay and if I can do basics and low resolution YouTube or Netflix while in FAP.  Will report Monday.

But testmy.net shows something appears to have happened.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=12152017&x=5&l=25&q=macsociety

TJ

Highlighted
Senior

Subject: Engineering Update
Date: 12-15-2017 05:14 PM

Hello,

Effective immediately, Hughes is actively setting up processes to open up new capacity in several Gen5 regions. This expansion will optimize performance across the entire network.

-Liz

I took this to mean a change immediately. It seems to be the case for me, as my original post states.

Highlighted

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

Effective immediately, Hughes is actively setting up processes to open up new capacity in several Gen5 regions. This expansion will optimize performance across the entire network.

-Liz

I took this to mean a change immediately. It seems to be the case for me, as my original post states.

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open.  So maybe have the process laid out and would start rolling it out, in some form of time.

Otherwise I would say it would be easier to say we made some changes, you should now see faster speeds, so let us know.

I am getting slow speeds here.  My test at 8PM showed promise but now at 9:30 I am getting lame speeds during FAP.  So it feels to me I am not seeing real improvements.

Just ran a download test only only in the 300K range.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@macsociety wrote:

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

-Liz

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open. 

That's the way I would read it, too.  That they are putting the things in place that will allow them to add the capacity, but that the capacity has not been added as of yet.  

Still, it's good news that they are doing this.  I hope you guys get relief soon.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety wrote:

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

-Liz

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open. 

That's the way I would read it, too.  That they are putting the things in place that will allow them to add the capacity, but that the capacity has not been added as of yet.  

Still, it's good news that they are doing this.  I hope you guys get relief soon.

It would also be cool to know what it means, generically but with a little more detail, what adding more capacity means.  Adding it to the actual satellite from afar or down on the ground adding more things in the ISP arena to handle more data for all to use.

Would be cool to know what it all means.

TJ

Highlighted
Junior

I'm pretty sure it's not in place yet as I'm getting sub 1Mbps speeds on Sunday night.

Highlighted

@TYGRHobbes wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not in place yet as I'm getting sub 1Mbps speeds on Sunday night.

Yeh, its bad tonight. 

I am in FAP and just pulled in a low 161K download on testmy.net and that is at 10PM.  

Pretty painful tonight.

TJ