Hughesnet Community

Beam 55 After Expansion Of Capasity Did Your Speed Improve?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Beam 55 After Expansion Of Capasity Did Your Speed Improve?

12.15 Beam 55 5:15 Pm Speed test- 28.5Mbs. This is a marked improvement for me.

Hope it continues. Our Christmas present from Hughes 🙂

Christmas cat.jpeg

19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Did they announce that they had completed the capacity expansion on Beam 55?  

wow that is awesome.  I am new sunscriber and so far I am very sad that I made this 2 year commitment. 

Subject: Engineering Update
Date: 12-15-2017 05:14 PM

Hello,

Effective immediately, Hughes is actively setting up processes to open up new capacity in several Gen5 regions. This expansion will optimize performance across the entire network.

-Liz

I took this to mean a change immediately. It seems to be the case for me, as my original post states.

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

Effective immediately, Hughes is actively setting up processes to open up new capacity in several Gen5 regions. This expansion will optimize performance across the entire network.

-Liz

I took this to mean a change immediately. It seems to be the case for me, as my original post states.

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open.  So maybe have the process laid out and would start rolling it out, in some form of time.

Otherwise I would say it would be easier to say we made some changes, you should now see faster speeds, so let us know.

I am getting slow speeds here.  My test at 8PM showed promise but now at 9:30 I am getting lame speeds during FAP.  So it feels to me I am not seeing real improvements.

Just ran a download test only only in the 300K range.  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

GabeU

@macsociety wrote:

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

-Liz

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open. 

That's the way I would read it, too.  That they are putting the things in place that will allow them to add the capacity, but that the capacity has not been added as of yet.  

Still, it's good news that they are doing this.  I hope you guys get relief soon.

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety wrote:

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Hello,

-Liz

Funny but I read it different.  I took it as they are now "setting up processes" to open, not thar they did open. 

That's the way I would read it, too.  That they are putting the things in place that will allow them to add the capacity, but that the capacity has not been added as of yet.  

Still, it's good news that they are doing this.  I hope you guys get relief soon.

It would also be cool to know what it means, generically but with a little more detail, what adding more capacity means.  Adding it to the actual satellite from afar or down on the ground adding more things in the ISP arena to handle more data for all to use.

Would be cool to know what it all means.

TJ

I'm pretty sure it's not in place yet as I'm getting sub 1Mbps speeds on Sunday night.

@TYGRHobbes wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not in place yet as I'm getting sub 1Mbps speeds on Sunday night.

Yeh, its bad tonight. 

I am in FAP and just pulled in a low 161K download on testmy.net and that is at 10PM.  

Pretty painful tonight.

TJ

I was trying to view a Prime video selection Sunday nite 9Pm, it kept buffering, then I reduced from HD, still had some buffering.

I did a speed test and got over 11 Mbs.That should of given me good video..

@ecoalex2 wrote:

I was trying to view a Prime video selection Sunday nite 9Pm, it kept buffering, then I reduced from HD, still had some buffering.

I got confirm from Liz that message we received did not have further info on when, etc...

So appears no, a beam capasity update was probably not done.

I think from the speeds we continue to see it shows too.  ;-(

Would be nice to know more about the process they approved.

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Sorry, since you didn't say, gotta ask: Was Video Saving Mode turned off?

I'm on Gen4 50/50 Ultra but don't do HD simply for the data savings. Really don't know if HD would buffer or not. My Netflix plan is the lowest one, no HD, the highest I can stream is SD. 

I know some beams/gateways are having problems but I agree with others that even at peak performance, the system simply can't handle 10's (maybe even 100's) of thousands of customers all trying to stream at HD and even higher definition at the same time. Gets even worse during holiday season when kids are on break and more people streaming.

Just my opinion, especially since I have no details on capacity at gateways or how heavily loaded the satellites and beams are at any given point in time.

Again, I realise beam 55 on Gen 5 has been identified as having specific issues.

I can't even watch a video at 144p on YouTube without constant buffering. The service should definitely be able to handle that.

I see improvements, like not having to logon constantly, but on 12.20Pm@4:45 Pm, I had to change gateways 2x to get a working gateway, both were under 1Mbs.the 3rd was better, how I can post now.

I got this message, - new. It was a timed out message. It blamed everything but the real cause, a choked gateway. It could send a newbie on a wild goose chase, but the seasoned Hughes subscriber I am, I knew I had options- a new gateway, and I was right, after 2 reboots of the modem, I had a gateway that worked. I pity those who don't know the drill- when it doesn't work- reboot. It worked for me. Blaming other entities instead of suggesting a modem reboot, seems lame. It is the first place to start when all was well until you get a timed out message. Comments welcome.

Hughes Timed out message.png

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not a different gateway but a different set of servers and cable leaving the gateway. Sorry, I assume people always reboot their modem as part of initial troubleshooting.

Your improved performance may be short lived if a overall gateway or beam problem. Rebooting is a temporary fix in that situation.

It maybe temporary, but it does return functionality. It is nice to not have the problems we on beam 55 are experiencing, and the fixes we have arrived at to have the service function again.

GabeU

@ecoalex2

Just in case you aren't aware, though doing what you did can help, if you do it too many time (I don't know how many) it can cause the system to trip, thinking there is a problem, and put you on Outroute ID 7, which is the Outroute ID systems are sometimes put on when there is a problem, like bad weather at a gateway or other things that cause issues with the system.  This may cause it to be even slower.  Each time I was relegated to Outroute ID 7 my service was slower.  Not markedly, but slower, nonetheless, and it can take days to get off of that Outroute ID.  I'm just afraid that it could make a slow speed problem even worse.  I wouldn't do it more than a few times during an attempt to get your modem locked onto a more open pathway.    

So we should just not use the service? If that is the case, we need to discuss refunds for unusable service..

We do what we need to do with a unusable service. If that avenue is not to change gateways, we have no service.

So if you have an unusable service, you stop and shut off the device and occupy your time doing something else?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@ecoalex2 wrote:

So we should just not use the service? If that is the case, we need to discuss refunds for unusable service..

We do what we need to do with a unusable service. If that avenue is not to change gateways, we have no service.

So if you have an unusable service, you stop and shut off the device and occupy your time doing something else?

Only saying you did not change gateways, only changed the path leaving the gateway, and will most likely be temporary relief if the overall beam and gateway is still having problems.

Not trying to upset you, only trying to prepare you if it goes bad again. Which is likely if all the fixes on the beam/gateway have not been completed.

People can reboot the modem as much as they want, but like Gabe said, that can also create problems if done too much.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@ecoalex2 wrote:

12.15 Beam 55 5:15 Pm Speed test- 28.5Mbs. This is a marked improvement for me.

Hope it continues. Our Christmas present from Hughes 🙂

Christmas cat.jpeg

I was not sure how to read the PM from Liz today about engineering and the expansion of they have or are rolling something out.  Anyway... speeds during the normal slow time of 8PM and while I am in FAP are better than past month or two.  800K to 1.1Mbps down and upload 700K to 2Mbps.  Will have to digest it over the weekend and see if the speeds stay and if I can do basics and low resolution YouTube or Netflix while in FAP.  Will report Monday.

But testmy.net shows something appears to have happened.

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=12152017&x=5&l=25&q=macsociety

TJ