Beam 55 One Month Later

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Beam 55 One Month Later

It's been one month now of erratic download speeds, how are the engineers coming with the anticipated fix?

Here's my experience today, it took quite a few minutes at 8:40 Pm Pst to be able to post this.

How's my fellow Beam 55 subscribers doing?

My experience is I have full speeds in the mornings (7Am) , then it degrades to very poor by 8 Pm or so. Some times a modem reboot helps , sometimes not, at best I get 3Mbs, a slight improvement.

I'm curious to know if Alan (El Dorado Sat.) has run sny speed tests later in the evening?

Gen5 Speeds 11.2.17.png

64 REPLIES 64
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Speed was OK this morning... then afternoon hit my speeds started slowing down.  By 6:30pm my download was down to 3Mbps and upload was about dead at 31K.  I could not even run testmy tests during that time so did a real small one at got the 31K.  7 to 8 ish it about died.  Could not browse web or do any tesetmy tests.  Reboot modem... 1st attempt made no change and was still dirt slow.... reboot #2, speeds improved.  About 9:41pm here and just ran a test after my 2 reboots.  29.7mbps down.  

Like a tire with a slow leak.... starts full, then slowly loses air all day.... then a couple refills of air (reboot modem) and sometimes speeds are restored.

TJ

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

31Kbps for an upload speed?  SMH.  That's just plain awful.  No other way to describe it.  Awful.  And sub 1Mbps download speeds are just as awful, but that 31Kbps upload speed really sticks out like a sore thumb.  😞  

Yeh, was the upload speed for 31k.

If you look at my speeds for the day, started out good, started slowing down afternoon, experienced 31k upload around 6:30, ate dinner and came back to internet that was about comatose. Could not run tests. Reboot twice and later evening speeds getting back.

But, for sure somethings still not right on beam 55. I feel the OP pain for speed issues still late evenings.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ
maratsade

Same issues here -- speeds are quite variable and slow down in the evenings.

Good morning folks,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll send this over to the engineers.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Saturday Am a reboot restored better speed , above the red line.

Usually I have the best speeds in the Am, no reboot needed.

Gen5 Speeds 11.4.18.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That's... an interesting thing to have happen.  I wonder, can you note what your IPGW and Outroute ID is before, and after the reboot and post back, along with the relevent testmy.net results?

I see the IGPW on the system status display, but the Outroute Id  I don't see on that page is it some where else?

Gen 5 System Status.png

GabeU

@ecoalex2

While in the System Control Center, click System Information at the top of the page.  Your Outroute ID will be in the Satellite box.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's on the System Info page >.>

But yeah, gather that info before, and gather it again after... Would be interesting to see what changes take place.

I'll record the requested info before I reboot the modem, and after, post

Thanks for the info all 🙂

I saw my speeds were low compared to the usual 30+ early Am.
Data before reboot, after, increased speeds above red line.. Outroute Id remained at #1 the IPGW did change from 4 to 5.

Gen5 Speeds 11.6 .png

Gen5 IPGW Before before Reboot.png

Good morning Alex,

Thank you for the screenshots and updates, I've sent this over to engineering as well.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Beam 55
Again slow speeds videos buffering at 6:30 Am , so I rebooted the modem, which changed the IPGW from 4 to 5 . Speeds improved, but not what they should be. In the speed data , the slower speeds are on IPGW 4 , the faster on IPGW 5, still no where the near 30 Mbs or better I used to have at this time of day.. I used to be able to not have video buffering at FAP speed- 2.8 Msa, but now at 4-5 Mbs speeds videos buffering. The performance with slower speeds is markedly worse.

Gen5 Am 11.7. Reboots.png

Thanks Alex, I've sent your feedback to the engineers.

@ecoalex2, have you fell into FAP yet and ran testmy.net speeds during the peak time slow-down?

I am in FAP now and during the morning I am steady at 1.3Mbps, just enought to stream a youtube and say 240 to 360p.  Can do a netflix at Low.  Then by afternoon speeds starts to drop below 1Mbps and by peak slow of the peak time slowage, I am down in the 400K range for speed.  

If only we could be around 1Mbps it would be a great system, for me at least.

I am not heavy into streaming and don't do games, but do like to watch Netflix every now and then.  Need at least a tad above 1Mbps to keep that working.

Just curious what your FAP experience was before the slowness happened before I joined September.

TJ

I am not in FAP yet, but even with the next tier , which was a given when I signed up, as I mentioned, streaming was doable at 2.8 Mbs.

Now it appears 2.8 does not allow streaming without buffering. Something has changed.

I too noticed that before the troubles, 1Mbs still gave decent performance, now, no.

It is a problem that many sites auto load video streaming, this uses up allowance..

After my 1 year subscription is over, I will reduce my tier, if the performance suffers (as it is now) , I would think I will seriously consider 4glte service I have available. It is a shame, as when Gen5 debued , It was great, now it has troubles, which so far are unresolved.

I would think given another month, if the orginal servixce is not restored, subscribers should receive reduced prices, for a reduced service, otherwise, a negative Business report, and Federal Communications complaint would be in order. I don't like to persue this, but with less than advertised, and documented  sub par service after a measurable time, we do have the records, a refund, or other remedy is desirable.

Hughes has been very fair to me, Liz and staff exceptional, i don't lay any blame on the support staff, the engineers however need to address the problem, and remedy it. It appears they are learning on the job. We should not pay for this "education"., and reduced prices until the problems are remedies is in order.. Reduced performance translates to reduced pricing. For many, there is 4Glte available, from what I see, it works very well for them, streaming videos and other programming.The prices are equal to a bit higher, the price you pay for dependability.

Just performed a speed test @ 3 Pm- both 30 Mbs or better, nothing to complain about, I didn't have half this early Am, before a modem reboot.

I am not in FAP yet, but even with the next tier , which was a given when I signed up, as I mentioned, streaming was doable at 2.8 Mbs.

Now it appears 2.8 does not allow streaming without buffering. Something has changed.

I too noticed that before the troubles, 1Mbs still gave decent performance, now, no.

It is a problem that many sites auto load video streaming, this uses up allowance..

After my 1 year subscription is over,

Just performed a speed test @ 3 Pm- both 30 Mbs or better, nothing to complain about, I didn't have half this early Am, before a modem reboot.

GabeU

@ecoalex2 wrote:

This is a big pain and extremely annoying.  Sometimes, if I really want to read an article, but a video accompanies it and automatically starts loading, I'll quickly reach over and disconnect the LAN cable (my modem is only about two feet away) to avoid having the video suck up a bunch of data.  It's not quite so easy on WiFi connected devices, but for LAN connected ones, it works.  

I kind of wish they made an in line switch for LAN cables so I could just flip the switch instead of having to disconnect and reconnect all the time.  

Chrome used to have settings that you could change to stop videos from automatically playing, but they did away with that a few versions ago, the buggers.  

Firefox has a auto play disable, but it only works for some formats. It seems those with limited data, mobile and fixed, ought to be able to disable autoplay.

I scroll down quickly, a smaller window appears, that I can close., usually.