Beam 55 One Month Later

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Beam 55 One Month Later

It's been one month now of erratic download speeds, how are the engineers coming with the anticipated fix?

Here's my experience today, it took quite a few minutes at 8:40 Pm Pst to be able to post this.

How's my fellow Beam 55 subscribers doing?

My experience is I have full speeds in the mornings (7Am) , then it degrades to very poor by 8 Pm or so. Some times a modem reboot helps , sometimes not, at best I get 3Mbs, a slight improvement.

I'm curious to know if Alan (El Dorado Sat.) has run sny speed tests later in the evening?

Gen5 Speeds 11.2.17.png

64 REPLIES 64

@ecoalex2 how are your speeds lately?  Mine have been bad even after reboots where I switch gateways.  Was on 107, now on 102, and no difference.  Just a month ago reboots of modem would restore early morning to afternoon speeds where they were decent.  Now it is a constant slow speed.

Today I am getting 300K range?  Yesterday was 500k range.  And this is in the morning where I used to get Mbps.  I am not in FAP either.

Last night by 6PM I was down to 200K downloads.  Guessing if I tested again after that by 8PM would have been down in the 100s.

Anyway, you doing better than I?

TJ

btw, I am up to Senior now... I graduated again.  LOL.

All that in a mere 3 months.  Smiley Tongue

TJ

Speed at 1:15 Pm pst- 250kps. average. I noticed it was very slow this morning, lots of buffering of utube documentaries. last nite was barely usable..I'm just a Junior after 4+ years with Hughes..

It will be 2 months soon with a decrepid service. When will the new allocation roll out occur? No news on that, it seems the new satellite has the best of the techs.. The allocation should of been planned for to me, i would think they would have know the capasity, and with the customers in mind prepared for that, but I'm just a patient customer with a 2 year contract..I do envy my 4Glte neighbor, although he does pay a bit more than I do..

Happy New Year!

HappyNewYearCat.1.png

BirdDog -

I did implement your suggestion, it does stop autoplay..

Thanks, the people in the Gen5 forum are the best!

Heart Nose Cat.png

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

There are HTML5 blockers similar to ad blockers for most browsers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/

Too bad they can't make something like this for Chrome that is first, reliable, and second, doesn't just stop it from playing, but stops it from loading, as doing the former, but not the latter, defeats the purpose.  

Tried reboots( 2) last nite, speeds were 2.4 , but many sites would not load.. When we had 2.4 before the troubles, it worked, now no.. Why would 2.4 Mbs now be worse than 1 Mbs was before the troubles?

It also irks me that I saw Hughes Gen5 ads today. When Gen4 had speed problems, and I saw ads I asked **bleep**? Now with the troubles, I ask **bleep** again.. Hughes should not advertise when it's having problems as it clearly has.. I question management, is sales more important than subscriber service, support?

Why is 2.4 Mbs slower than 1 Mbs used to be?

Gen5 Am 11.8. Reboot.png

What's Going On?

Dead Cat.png

Good morning Alex,

Thank you for this latest update and your comment to management; I've sent your post over as well. 

When you run the tests are you still selecting the 25 MB test file?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz:)

I noticed that when I have the advertised speed for my tier, the test dwnload is more than 25 mbs.

As the speed slows, the dwnloaded file using just the dwnload button , the size of the file decreases.

This on Testmy.net.I did perform a test with the dwnload buttion, and the manual , chose 25Mbs., I did have a improvement of 1.7Mbs, still my speed is 2,9 Mbs Far from normal speed., after  modem reboot, the 25Mbs dwnload sped was 2.4 Mbs. Disappointing. If the speed degrades as usual, i am not looking forward to this evenings speed.

Gen5 Friday Am.png

A look at my results shows this- http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Thanks Liz - you're the bestest !

Happykitten.png

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ecoalex2

That the test size is bigger when the speed is better and smaller when it is slower is normal when using the auto test.  It's a time based test when doing it that way.  If the test doesn't last for at least seven seconds it will resize to something larger.   

The reason they request that people use the manual 25MB test size is to first, make sure it lasts long enough (which, of course, when it's slow, it definitely does), and get an average over the course of that test.  The graph that they can look at for each test can tell them additional things, as well, and the 25MB test gives them good information when it comes to that.  Plus, the 25MB test won't resize, and that it is always the same size helps them, as well.    

Makes sense. How much longer do we have to endure poor speeds? My 4Glte friends have better performance. I know I have a 2 year contract with Hughes , I hoped to get better performance than Gen4., now it is the same.

Thanks

@ecoalex2 wrote:

Makes sense. How much longer do we have to endure poor speeds? My 4Glte friends have better performance. I know I have a 2 year contract with Hughes , I hoped to get better performance than Gen4., now it is the same.

Thanks

It is getting weird that muscle memory for me now while I am at my systems is to run speed tests and I don't even realize I am doing it.  LOL.

I look forward to the day I don't waist GBs of data on tests.

Just think about it.... some of us... like me... may run minimum 10 each upload and download speed tests a day so I can get a broad spectrum of tests until Hughes gets this figured out.  Morning x3 spread out in 5 minute increments so we get a nice spread, mid-day, then night.  and 1 more for good measure.  At 25MB a pop, that is 250MB per day downloads only.  That times 30 days.... That is a whole lotta GBs.

Lately I just run 1 or maybe 2 in AM, then 1 mid-day, and once at night. 

But until we get normal speeds, I guess I want to know what kinda speeds I am getting.

TJ

I don't think we'll see the speeds we had before. The same happenned with Gen4.

It would be appreciated not to have to log on after a few hours of logging on. It wasn't this way with the old forum. With slow speeds having to wait for the log on is added agravation.

If the problems continue, refunds should be in order, since we can't leave the 2 year contract.

What is the ETA for the "fix"?.

Hi Alex,

No ETA as of yet. One of the engineers we mainly work with has returned from PTO and seems optimistic about reducing our backlog. We'll see. Once I have any updates to share I'll post back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

In my experience looking at the Gateways because of slow speeds, I have noticed #3 usually is a very poor performer, #5 usually is much better,this after a modem reboot.

The Outroute remains at #1.

Beam 55 for me today has been lame.  I am in FAP for another 1/2 month but the reported speed right now of 1Mbps at 6PM is far from real.  I can't do Facebook.... posts are show on screen one by one slower than I can type and just getting to this page where I can post this has been a bear.  Almost feels like 1Mbps is in reality 99K or so.  Just painful.  ;-(

I kind of don't get it.  How can a reported speed of 1Mbps actually have the response of about 99K or so.  I guess it is only emails for us today.

How are the rest of you beam 55 folks doing?

TJ

My speed at 9 Am today was bad, Gateway 3 , I rebooted, got Gateway5, and speeds were good all day. Just did a speed test- 2- 43 Mbs files, speeds - 44Mbs, and 32Mbs.. I'm as perplexed as you are.

I will FAP in a few days, but I will keep rebooting until I get Gateway 5 , that one is consistantly faster.

I too remember when 2.8 Mbs FAP speds were as good as not throttled.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

I am on

Associated (Data IPGW - J2GIL055HNSIGW0104)

Was on 101 and 103 over the weekend too if I remember... even 105.  

Rebooting is a crap-shoot but I always check to see what gateway I get.

I heard 101 was the worst but.... I think I have issues on them all.

Next cycle I have to really watch my data.  This last month, my 1st full month since getting Gen 5, I used 20GB in 9 days.  Twice that speed when I was on Gen 4 where 20GB lasted me 20 days.  I was mr 1GB a day back then.

Something has changed and no way will I sign up for more data until Hughes finds the issue on why we all get such slow speeds during the night.

Once they do that, I may bounce up to the next plan, have ad-blockers on, etc...

TJ

Is it ridicoulous that I have to hotspot to my phone to even post this?  

About a week ago I had great speeds and was watching plenty of Netflix.....now, almost unusable.

I don't get it, obviously the capacity exists, but we only get it sporadically if at all?  And the "engineers" are always working on it?

Beam 55 speeds on 11.13  the usually faster Gateway#5 at 8Pm were painfully slow..

I just noticed I was put on Gateway#3 now , I'll probably have to reboot and move up the Gateway ladder to make Gen5 usable. #3 is ususally the slowest, I imagine the amount of users governs speeds, there must be some auto balanceing going on- when #5 loads up with users, some are shunted to #3, #4.

Again I was at a friend's, he is using 4Glte . he was streaming Netflix , and 4 others were streaming music, and others videos, all had good signals, quality. I mentioned my Gen5 troubles, they felt sorry for me, as I told them we are told to just be patient and keep paying our bill .

3R
Freshman

Have been calling every night, trying to convince them to fix Beam 55. Took me a long time to even get them to admit they knew there was a problem. Download speeds hovering around 1 Mbps.

Any sense of how many people are affected? I can't get them to tell me when this might be fixed.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@ecoalex2 bummer.... appears your in my same boat.  In the past I know you reset your modem frequently and had some speed restored.  Appears to not be the case anymore.  ;-(

TJ