cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam 55 One Month Later

Senior

Re: Beam 55 One Month Later

Firefox has a auto play disable, but it only works for some formats. It seems those with limited data, mobile and fixed, ought to be able to disable autoplay.

I scroll down quickly, a smaller window appears, that I can close., usually.

Assistant Professor

There are HTML5 blockers similar to ad blockers for most browsers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/

Assistant Professor

@ecoalex2, have you tried this:

To control the built-in HTML5 player:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste media*play and pause while the list is filtered

(3) To delay media from auto-starting in background tabs, I suggest: double-click the media.block-play-until-visible preference to switch the value from false to true

(4) To prevent media from auto-starting in any tabs: double-click the media.autoplay.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false

Number 4 in particular.

EDIT: This may also help: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1141200

Good morning folks,

Thank you again for posting your updates. Please keep them coming. I know I sound repetitive, but we really can use your feedback. We're sending over all your complaints and speed test results so that more people are aware that this is still an issue. We also amplify your voices at meetings with upper management whenever we get the chance, so please keep posting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Senior

BirdDog -

I did implement your suggestion, it does stop autoplay..

Thanks, the people in the Gen5 forum are the best!

Heart Nose Cat.png

Distinguished Professor IV

@BirdDog wrote:

There are HTML5 blockers similar to ad blockers for most browsers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/

Too bad they can't make something like this for Chrome that is first, reliable, and second, doesn't just stop it from playing, but stops it from loading, as doing the former, but not the latter, defeats the purpose.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior

Tried reboots( 2) last nite, speeds were 2.4 , but many sites would not load.. When we had 2.4 before the troubles, it worked, now no.. Why would 2.4 Mbs now be worse than 1 Mbs was before the troubles?

It also irks me that I saw Hughes Gen5 ads today. When Gen4 had speed problems, and I saw ads I asked **bleep**? Now with the troubles, I ask **bleep** again.. Hughes should not advertise when it's having problems as it clearly has.. I question management, is sales more important than subscriber service, support?

Why is 2.4 Mbs slower than 1 Mbs used to be?

Gen5 Am 11.8. Reboot.png

What's Going On?

Dead Cat.png

Good morning Alex,

Thank you for this latest update and your comment to management; I've sent your post over as well. 

When you run the tests are you still selecting the 25 MB test file?

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Senior

Hi LizSmiley Happy

I noticed that when I have the advertised speed for my tier, the test dwnload is more than 25 mbs.

As the speed slows, the dwnloaded file using just the dwnload button , the size of the file decreases.

This on Testmy.net.I did perform a test with the dwnload buttion, and the manual , chose 25Mbs., I did have a improvement of 1.7Mbs, still my speed is 2,9 Mbs Far from normal speed., after  modem reboot, the 25Mbs dwnload sped was 2.4 Mbs. Disappointing. If the speed degrades as usual, i am not looking forward to this evenings speed.

Gen5 Friday Am.png

A look at my results shows this- http://testmy.net/quickstats/ecoalex

Thanks Liz - you're the bestest !

Happykitten.png

Distinguished Professor IV

@ecoalex2

That the test size is bigger when the speed is better and smaller when it is slower is normal when using the auto test.  It's a time based test when doing it that way.  If the test doesn't last for at least seven seconds it will resize to something larger.   

The reason they request that people use the manual 25MB test size is to first, make sure it lasts long enough (which, of course, when it's slow, it definitely does), and get an average over the course of that test.  The graph that they can look at for each test can tell them additional things, as well, and the 25MB test gives them good information when it comes to that.  Plus, the 25MB test won't resize, and that it is always the same size helps them, as well.    

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit