cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam 68 Update

skuphan
Freshman

Re: Beam 68 Update

@Liz any updates. It’s been 2 weeks and it is still slow at night here. Im thinking we should get partial refunds due to partial service.
Liz

Good morning,

We're still evaluating the effectiveness of the dispatches issued for the select group of subscribers in one beam before we expand to the rest of you. Initial feedback that's rolled in so far is looking good! As soon as we're cleared to dispatch techs to you, we will do so and let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

skuphan
Freshman

It’s killing me at night. No updates. Not getting better. No explanations. No timeline. @Liz do you have anything for us? Just watching things buffer buffer buffer
Liz

Hi skuphan,

No update yet on when we can issue a dispatch to address your concerns. We are pending feedback and evaluations on the effectiveness of this dispatch before we can expand to more customers.

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Foygroup
New Poster

Liz,

I was just speaking with customer service.  Apparently I am in the Beam 68 problem area as well.  Is there any new updates or is there something I can do to increase my speed.  I have periods of high speeds, typically from midnight to 5:00am.  However, from 6:00am till about midnight on most days, I have less than 1 meg service both down and up.

Please advise, 

Thanks,

Bill

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Liz

Hello,

No new positive updates regarding speed concerns. At this point, it appears the dispatches won't be of use, and we still don't have any better update to provide you.

We are sending over all your complaints and speed test results so that more engineers and upper management are aware that this is still an issue. We also amplify your voices at meetings with upper management whenever we get the chance, so please keep posting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Foygroup
New Poster

Corrosive, 

No I have not exhausted my data allowance.  I have had the service since mid september, I typically get less and half a meg down the majority of the day.  I had a 20mb service plan but I was doing so many speed tests I quickly exhausted it.  I finally bit the bullet a couple weeks ago and upgraded to the 50mb plan so i would not exhaust my service so that could not be the reason for my issues.

Given the fact that there is beam overlap, is it possible,(based on my location) to move me out of beam 68 and into a beam with less issues?

I was on the phone with tech support again yesterday.  He suggested that i switch to Gen 4 which uses a different satellite but I would be limited to only 25mps if i was moved to the Gen 4 bird.   At this point, getting anywhere near 25mps would be a dream come true.

We spend most of our time, turning off wifi on our phones and using them as a wifi hotspot to at least get 6mps down when trying to access internet.

So my question is, since Liz states there is no good news for Beam 68 at this point.  I have a feeling there wont be until a repair is made to the bird itself and I dont see that as likely.  Based on my location can I be switched to a different beam on the Gen 5 bird, or is it really possible to swith me to the Gen 4 bird with the only ramification being that I actually get what I've been paying for all along?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Foygroup

I know you asked Corrosive, but I imagine his answers would be similar...

First, I don't know why the phone rep would suggest switching to Gen4, as that can't be done.  Gen4 is an existing service, but was only available prior to Gen5 coming online, and people can't be signed up for Gen4 anymore, nor switched to it, though it may be possible to be switched to the ES17 satellite if in an area that receives its coverage.  

Were you told that you are in a beam overlap area?  Those areas are fairly small.  It's theoretically possible that being on a different beam in an overlap situation could give better service, but again, only a HughesNet rep, like Liz, can answer whether that would be a viable option, or even worth it to try.  

A repair can't be made to the bird, itself.  Once it's up there there's no repairing it.  But, with that said, I don't believe the problem lies with the satellite.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The problem with assigning a user to a new beam if they are in an overlap is that under certain circumstances, the modem will want to default back to the original assignment... Such as when doing a reinstall/repointing.  Which can throw a technician off greatly, and can cause bigger issues down the road...