Beam 68 Update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pswired
Junior

Beam 68 Update

@Liz, can you please provide an update on the current status of beam 68? I am still experiencing slow evening speeds, but good performance at other hours. Can you advise whether there is still a problem being actively worked?

For others following along, this is a continuation of the following threads:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/What-s-the-problem-with-beam-68/m-p/81658

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/New-Gen5-install-on-beam-68-SLOW-evening-speeds/m-p/...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Fellow-Beam-68ers-part-II/m-p/83408

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Fellow-Beam-68ers-it-s-speeded-up/m-p/83849

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Fellow-Beam-68ers/m-p/82848

53 REPLIES 53

Liz, thanks for keeping an eye on this.

Mark, rebooting had no effect. 

@pswired

I don't know what 'no effect' means. Did it re-associate to another IPGW ID and the problem persisted? Or, did it come back to the same one and nothing changed? If it's the latter, try rebooting again.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I rebooted out of curiousity, but rebooting didn't change the IPGW ID.  Is it supposed to?  The ID has been the same since installation, and reboots don't change it at all.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@pswired

I don't know what 'no effect' means. Did it re-associate to another IPGW ID and the problem persisted? Or, did it come back to the same one and nothing changed? If it's the latter, try rebooting again.

@maratsade wrote:

I rebooted out of curiousity, but rebooting didn't change the IPGW ID.  Is it supposed to?  The ID has been the same since installation, and reboots don't change it at all.

I think it depends upon the level of congestion at the time. For example, if I'm seeing slowness on 0104, I may reboot and end up on 0109: J2SDO068HNSIGW0109. I've seen it go as high as 0110, where previously it went only up to 0106 or 0107 - likely a result of expanded capacity.

That said, I think there are certain state codes (30-series perhaps?) that when the duration is longer than a certain time period seems to automatically initiate the re-association process. Have seen it do this before, but not as much lately.

Then again, I may be reading way too much into all of this... I just know that re-associating to a different IPGW seems to alleviate any slowness due to congestion after all is said and done, as many on other beams have found out.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The answer is so much simpler than that: the satellite actually harbours intense dislike for me. Hence it will not reassociate.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@pswired

Mark, the whole "keep rebooting" thing is a bit like suggesting to the passengers of the Titanic that they dry themselves off one more time and see if that helps with the drowning problem. 

I'm sure Liz will let us know when the HughesNet engineers think they've made some progress. When they have, I'm sure they'll be eager to let us know if any action is required on our end so that we stop bothering them and complaning about their broken service.

@pswired

Suit yourself. My point was they have made progress, but you seem to know better so I'll just back away.

@MarkJFine I know I'm being a jerk here, and it really shouldn't be directed at you. But my work keeps me near the IT support realm, and as I'm sure you know, asking users to reboot their equipment in many cases is a way to make them feel like some sort of change is being made and to get them off your back for a while. In this case, if some change had been made to the HughesNet system that was going to alleviate this performance issue, I'm sure they'd be remotely rebooting CPEs and/or letting customer service know that reboots are required.

I think this was meant for someone else.

Mark, the whole "keep rebooting" thing is a bit like suggesting to the passengers of the Titanic that they dry themselves off one more time and see if that helps with the drowning problem. 

that is hilarious!!!!

Liz,

I was just speaking with customer service.  Apparently I am in the Beam 68 problem area as well.  Is there any new updates or is there something I can do to increase my speed.  I have periods of high speeds, typically from midnight to 5:00am.  However, from 6:00am till about midnight on most days, I have less than 1 meg service both down and up.

Please advise, 

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

No new positive updates regarding speed concerns. At this point, it appears the dispatches won't be of use, and we still don't have any better update to provide you.

We are sending over all your complaints and speed test results so that more engineers and upper management are aware that this is still an issue. We also amplify your voices at meetings with upper management whenever we get the chance, so please keep posting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Corrosive, 

No I have not exhausted my data allowance.  I have had the service since mid september, I typically get less and half a meg down the majority of the day.  I had a 20mb service plan but I was doing so many speed tests I quickly exhausted it.  I finally bit the bullet a couple weeks ago and upgraded to the 50mb plan so i would not exhaust my service so that could not be the reason for my issues.

Given the fact that there is beam overlap, is it possible,(based on my location) to move me out of beam 68 and into a beam with less issues?

I was on the phone with tech support again yesterday.  He suggested that i switch to Gen 4 which uses a different satellite but I would be limited to only 25mps if i was moved to the Gen 4 bird.   At this point, getting anywhere near 25mps would be a dream come true.

We spend most of our time, turning off wifi on our phones and using them as a wifi hotspot to at least get 6mps down when trying to access internet.

So my question is, since Liz states there is no good news for Beam 68 at this point.  I have a feeling there wont be until a repair is made to the bird itself and I dont see that as likely.  Based on my location can I be switched to a different beam on the Gen 5 bird, or is it really possible to swith me to the Gen 4 bird with the only ramification being that I actually get what I've been paying for all along?

GabeU

@Foygroup

I know you asked Corrosive, but I imagine his answers would be similar...

First, I don't know why the phone rep would suggest switching to Gen4, as that can't be done.  Gen4 is an existing service, but was only available prior to Gen5 coming online, and people can't be signed up for Gen4 anymore, nor switched to it, though it may be possible to be switched to the ES17 satellite if in an area that receives its coverage.  

Were you told that you are in a beam overlap area?  Those areas are fairly small.  It's theoretically possible that being on a different beam in an overlap situation could give better service, but again, only a HughesNet rep, like Liz, can answer whether that would be a viable option, or even worth it to try.  

A repair can't be made to the bird, itself.  Once it's up there there's no repairing it.  But, with that said, I don't believe the problem lies with the satellite.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The problem with assigning a user to a new beam if they are in an overlap is that under certain circumstances, the modem will want to default back to the original assignment... Such as when doing a reinstall/repointing.  Which can throw a technician off greatly, and can cause bigger issues down the road...

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

The problem with assigning a user to a new beam if they are in an overlap is that under certain circumstances, the modem will want to default back to the original assignment... Such as when doing a reinstall/repointing.  Which can throw a technician off greatly, and can cause bigger issues down the road...

Bingo.  I'm not versed on the technical stuff like you, but know that only a rep can answer whether it would even be an option.  

maratsade

Does anyone know how things are going with fixing the issues with Beam 68?

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for checking in; our meeting on Wednesday with engineering was cancelled and we have not gotten any relevant updates from our other regular meetings. As soon as we have any new news, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

Hi maratsade,

Thank you for your updated and latest speed tests, I'll send this over to engineering.